Madden Curse... Time to believe? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Madden Curse... Time to believe?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Are you a believer in the "Madden Curse"?

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes : 88

Madden Curse... Time to believe?

Postby Verdun Barbarians » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:30 am

Wikipedia.com wrote:Prior to 2000, all of the Madden NFL game box covers prominently featured John Madden only. When EA started to have NFL players on the cover of the Madden NFL games, some later (half-jokingly) speculated that there was a "Madden curse": a coincidental series of misfortunes that befell the product's cover-athletes. People started noticing a pattern with St. Louis Rams' halfback Marshall Faulk from the fallout of a Super Bowl-winning season, and great season statistics earned a cover spot. The following year his stats dropped sharply compared to his prior season. Also the Atlanta Falcons' star player, quarterback Michael Vick, was injured during the 2003 preseason after posing for the cover of Madden 2004. Vick suffered a broken fibula in a preseason game against Baltimore, the day after Madden 2004 was released to retailers. The injury resulted in a painful 5-11 year for Vick's team. Although people who believe in the curse state that the featured player will wind up having a weak or injury-prone season, EA officials point out that Ray Lewis and Eddie George appeared on the covers of the 2005 and 2001 versions, respectively, and had successful seasons without injury.

Barry Sanders

The first NFL player to be on a Madden NFL cover was Barry Sanders in 1999, for Madden 2000. He shared the cover with the then-customary picture of John Madden. However, a week before training camp began in 1999, Sanders abruptly retired - ending his career and leaving the Detroit Lions without their star running back of the previous 10 years. Sanders' part in the curse is debated because he is not pictured alone on the box, and he had willingly retired.

Dorsey Levens

Dorsey Levens was also featured on the 2000 cover, but that version of the game is much less common. He was cut by the Green Bay Packers in 2001, and finished his career in 2004.

Eddie George

Eddie George, then of the Tennessee Titans, who graced the 2001 box, was the second 'cursed' player. Although he had the best year of his career, rushing for 1,509 yards, catching 50 passes for 453 yards and scoring 16 total touchdowns, he was cursed by bobbling a pass in the playoffs. The pass was then intercepted by Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis, who returned the ball for a touchdown. George, (up until then) known for his durability, would also get injured the following season. After regularly averaging nearly 4 yards per carry in his first five seasons and rushing for over 1,300 yards in each one, he averaged only 3 yards per carry and rushed for career lows of 939 yards and 5 touchdowns in the 2001 season. For the rest of his career, he never averaged more than 3.5 yards per carry, but did rush for over 1,000 yards twice and scored 14 touchdowns in 2002.

Daunte Culpepper

Former Minnesota Vikings star quarterback Daunte Culpepper appeared on the 2002 cover, and the Vikings struggled to a 4-7 record until Culpepper was shelved with a season-ending knee injury.

Marshall Faulk

Running back Marshall Faulk of the St. Louis Rams, who was on the 2003 box, suffered an injury and had a bad season overall. He never broke through the 1,000 yards rushing mark for the rest of his career.

Michael Vick

In Madden 2004, Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick was injured during a preseason game, suffering a fractured right fibula. Vick played in only 5 regular season games, finishing with only 585 yards passing and 4 touchdowns. The Atlanta Falcons missed the playoffs, finishing the season with 5 wins and 11 losses, a stark contrast on the team's 9-6-1 record the season prior.

Ray Lewis

Madden 2005 featured Ray Lewis of the Baltimore Ravens. He had an injury that kept him out of the last game of the regular season. It was also Lewis' first season without a single interception, after posting a career-high 6 the previous year. The Baltimore Ravens also failed to make the playoffs that season (2004), after winning their division the year before. Furthermore, in Week 6 the following year, Ray Lewis' season was ended by an injury.

Donovan McNabb

The Philadelphia Eagles' star quarterback Donovan McNabb was on the cover of Madden NFL 06. Prior to the 2005 season, McNabb had a highly-publicized feud with his teammate, wide receiver Terrell Owens (who was, coincidentally, the cover athlete for rival Sega Sports' ESPN NFL 2K5, though no "Curse" had been associated with that series of games and won't be, since EA purchased exclusive rights to the NFLPA, thereby eliminating any NFL-based competition). Also, in the first game of the regular season, McNabb took a hit to the chest from the helmet of Atlanta Falcons defensive tackle Chad Lavalais. After the game, it was revealed that McNabb had a 'sports hernia' [3] that needed surgery. Refusing to have the required season-ending surgery while the Eagles (who had made the Super Bowl the previous season) still had a chance to make the playoffs, McNabb played in discomfort and pain throughout the season. In the tenth game of the season, McNabb re-injured his groin when shoved to the ground by Dallas linebacker Bradie James while McNabb was attempting to tackle Dallas Cowboys defensive back Roy Williams, who was returning an interception for an eventual game-winning touchdown. McNabb did play the next series but was ineffective and then decided to pack it in for the rest of the season. On November 21, 2005, McNabb, on the advice of his doctors, opted to have season-ending surgery for his sports hernia; the Eagles had been eliminated from playoff contention and finished the year with a 6-10 record.

Shaun Alexander

The MVP of the 2005 NFL season was the cover athlete for Madden 07 in 2006. He broke his foot in Week 3 and was out indefinitely. At the time of the injury Alexander had only 187 rushing yards and two touchdowns on the season. At the same point in the previous season Alexander had 257 rushing yards and five touchdowns.

Now that Shaun Alexander has been declared out with a cracked bone in his foot, is it time to (re)start the "Madden Curse" talk?

The cracked bone is one thing, but the lackluster play is also a thing to keep in mind when we look at SA's first three weeks

Are you a believer?

Verdun Barbarians
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:37 am

I didn't believe. With SA going down too, I'm a believer.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:45 am

The past five NFL runners-up have failed to make the playoffs the following year. Whether it's the Madden Curse or the Superbowl Loser Curse or what, you have to wonder if the Squawks are doomed in 2006.

It's a good thing I traded Hasselbeck in the preseason. I'd have hated to have had those five TDs this week. ;-7
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby TheRawDAWG » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:22 am

knapplc wrote:The past five NFL runners-up have failed to make the playoffs the following year. Whether it's the Madden Curse or the Superbowl Loser Curse or what, you have to wonder if the Squawks are doomed in 2006.

It's a good thing I traded Hasselbeck in the preseason. I'd have hated to have had those five TDs this week. ;-7

The op wasn't talking about the SB curse. Right now the Seahawks are putting that to rest although not doing it very convincingly. But at 3-0 they are still well on their way to the playoffs.

As for the Madden curse.... well can you really dispute it?
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Heavyg25 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:24 am

You guys act like Alexander will never play again. He is only going to miss a couple weeks, big deal. Players get minor injuries all the time, it doesn't prove anything.
Heavyg25
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:29 am

i wouldnt call it a minor injury. There are many different reports, the best of them have him missing 3 weeks, the worst of them say a minimum of 4 weeks, but as many as 6 or 7.

I am guessing the actual time missed will be somewhere in the middle of all that, he will probably miss 5 weeks, but with the bye, only 4 games. I would call that a significant injury, and if seattle starts to falter without him, the might be inclined to rush him back, and make things worse.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby TheRawDAWG » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:32 am

Heavyg25 wrote:You guys act like Alexander will never play again. He is only going to miss a couple weeks, big deal. Players get minor injuries all the time, it doesn't prove anything.

4-6 weeks is NOT a couple weeks. And it's still an injury to a guy that doesn't get injured. And his play to start t6he season wasn't really top notch either. No one said he wasn't going to play again. We were just discussing the merits of the Madden curse. Perhaps you're not familiar with it. It's not career ending it's season hampering. And in some cases the hampering last the career. But when discussing the curse it's only with regards to the current season. And you can't argue SA isn't hurt for an extended period (lucky the bye week falls on this time frame) or that he was having a SA type season before the injury.
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Heavyg25 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:38 am

As most people know, Players are rarely out as long as they are predicted to be out and one of those weeks happens to be a bye week. Even if he is out 6 weeks, that isn't even half of the season. I wouldn't define the curse as a season hampering, if that was the case, why wasn't it talked about when he had the bone bruise? That appeared to be season hampering to me. Players get injured for a couple weeks all the time, nothing to blame on a curse here if you ask me. If he was out for the season then maybe I would consider it.
Heavyg25
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Heavyg25 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:43 am

J_rob_the_ Baller wrote:i wouldnt call it a minor injury. There are many different reports, the best of them have him missing 3 weeks, the worst of them say a minimum of 4 weeks, but as many as 6 or 7.

I am guessing the actual time missed will be somewhere in the middle of all that, he will probably miss 5 weeks, but with the bye, only 4 games. I would call that a significant injury, and if seattle starts to falter without him, the might be inclined to rush him back, and make things worse.

Why would they start to Falter without him? Do you really think they are a one dementional team? Alexander hasn't played well at all so far, while morris has seen his workload go up, and they have been playing just fine. They probably won't be as dominating as they would be with him, I can give you that but they are probably one of the deaper teams in the league. They will make it work with who they have.
Heavyg25
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby TheRawDAWG » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:50 am

Heavyg25 wrote:
J_rob_the_ Baller wrote:i wouldnt call it a minor injury. There are many different reports, the best of them have him missing 3 weeks, the worst of them say a minimum of 4 weeks, but as many as 6 or 7.

Why would they start to Falter without him? Do you really think they are a one dementional team? Alexander hasn't played well at all so far, while morris has seen his workload go up, and they have been playing just fine. They probably won't be as dominating as they would be with him, I can give you that but they are probably one of the deaper teams in the league. They will make it work with who they have.

Dude you have a different veiw of what the curse is than I think everyone else in the football world. SA even being out 3 games (which is the best case right now) and playing poorly for the first 3 is definately going to be madden curse like even if he comes back for the remaining 10 games and plays well. And he only has 10 games if he comes back at the earliest time. so with 10 games you gotta think he has 3 games sub par at least. do you think the guys that drafted SA were thinking they were going to get 7 weeks of good production out of him best case senario? I don't.

Madden curse is season hampering, you don't need to have a season ending injury here. I'd saying a guy that could be out 6 weeks and playing poorly already definately fits the bill. Chalk one up on the curse side.
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk