Remember the Miami-New Orleans debate this offseason? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Remember the Miami-New Orleans debate this offseason?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Remember the Miami-New Orleans debate this offseason?

Postby mikus » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:54 am

I remember a lot of discussion about Miami spurning Drew Brees for Daunte Culpepper last offseason on the Cafe's boards, and a lot more prognostication about who would be the better acquisition in the long run.

But in the short run, three weeks into the season and it is not even close. Drew Brees is running away from Culpepper as the better quarterback.

Do you think Miami is regretting its decision to go with Culpepper now? Will Brees keep this up or is it just an anomaly?

Let's heat this one up again! ;-D
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Re: Remember the Miami-New Orleans debate this offseason?

Postby Kingctb27 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:56 am

mikus wrote:I remember a lot of discussion about Miami spurning Drew Brees for Daunte Culpepper last offseason on the Cafe's boards, and a lot more prognostication about who would be the better acquisition in the long run.

But in the short run, three weeks into the season and it is not even close. Drew Brees is running away from Culpepper as the better quarterback.

Do you think Miami is regretting its decision to go with Culpepper now? Will Brees keep this up or is it just an anomaly?

Let's heat this one up again! ;-D

As a Ronnie Brown owner I would definitely like to have Brees on the Dolphins. :~(
Kingctb27
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:13 pm

Short-term OR long-term I'd rather have Brees than Culpepper. I didn't think CPepp would be this bad (I had no idea the Dolphins O-Line was this bad, either) but even still I think Brees is a better QB.

However, if you switched them I think Brees would be struggling right now and CPepp would have better stats - again based mostly on the different O-Lines on each team.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mikus » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:17 pm

knapplc wrote:Short-term OR long-term I'd rather have Brees than Culpepper. I didn't think CPepp would be this bad (I had no idea the Dolphins O-Line was this bad, either) but even still I think Brees is a better QB.

However, if you switched them I think Brees would be struggling right now and CPepp would have better stats - again based mostly on the different O-Lines on each team.

That's funny, too, because before the season started everyone in New Orleans would have told you they were deeply concerned with the Saints' offensive line. Ironic because they have been better than expected, much like the defense.
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:33 pm

As a Dolphin fan who was hoping and praying the Fins would draft Brees way back when (instead they made that brilliant Jamar Fletcher selection), I was really hoping they would pick up Brees last season and have never been a Culpepper fan.

That said, I'm a bit surprised at all the love Brees has been getting this offseason. Culpepper is a turnover machine but Brees hasn't exactly been protecting the ball himself with 2 INTs and 3 fumbles compared to 3 TDs through 3 games. I think a lot of the Saints success has come from the surprising success of the Saints run game and o-line play.

Regardless though, I always thought the Saints got the better end of the Brees/Culpepper ordeal and my opinion certainly hasn't changed now.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mikus » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:27 pm

Free Bagel wrote:As a Dolphin fan who was hoping and praying the Fins would draft Brees way back when (instead they made that brilliant Jamar Fletcher selection), I was really hoping they would pick up Brees last season and have never been a Culpepper fan.

That said, I'm a bit surprised at all the love Brees has been getting this offseason. Culpepper is a turnover machine but Brees hasn't exactly been protecting the ball himself with 2 INTs and 3 fumbles compared to 3 TDs through 3 games. I think a lot of the Saints success has come from the surprising success of the Saints run game and o-line play.

Regardless though, I always thought the Saints got the better end of the Brees/Culpepper ordeal and my opinion certainly hasn't changed now.

Three of those turnovers came in the first quarter against the Packers, and the fumbles were not his fault. Kampman swatted the ball from his hand both time from the back side as he was cocking to throw.

Excuses aside, Brees also bounced back from those three turnovers to pass for 350+ and 2 TDs and 0 turnovers to help the team win that game. As a matter of fact, I do not even think the Saints would have won the game if it weren't for Brees (especially if AB was still QB).
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mattb47 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:14 pm

I was one of the few who thought that Brees would perform better than Culpepper and that Miami made a terrible mistake passing on Brees to get Culpepper. Brees has looked very sharp thusfar and regardless of what kind of turnovers he's had, he's leading that team to victories while Culepper's lackluster performances are costing Miami big time.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby PurpleHaze » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:47 pm

Only three games into the season...

A little early to evaluate what the entire season will bring!
Sig courtesy of chargersfan36!
PurpleHaze
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mattb47 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:49 pm

PurpleHaze wrote:Only three games into the season...

A little early to evaluate what the entire season will bring!

But not too early to evaluate the performances of 2 QBs closely compared in the off season that both came back from injuries.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby boojumsnark25 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:09 pm

I still like Culpepper. He isn't back to health yet, I mean when you shred your knee to hamburger, and your game is all about mobility, you're going to have to be patient...
boojumsnark25
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk