Marques Colston does not equal Jermaine Dye - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Marques Colston does not equal Jermaine Dye

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:51 pm

I just saw this and have to respond.

Free Bagel wrote:The bottom line is that the OP posted this thread knowing that probably 3/4's of the people that read the title would have no idea what the hell it meant. You don't see me comparing FF players to gubernatorial candidates in Florida, because no one would know what the hell I'm talking about just like most of the people here don't.

Gotta disagree with you here FB. The Cafes are all about fantasy sports. You will notice that there aren't 4 Cafes dedicated to football with one of the the sites being just fantasy footbal. All 4 Cafes are fantasy based - one of them football. The Cafes are about all fantasy sports.

A lot of Baseball Cafers come over here and there is even a Cafe league made up of just Baseball Cafe Cafeholics.

I see hockey cafers in here and baseball cafers as well.

The Gubernatorial candidates in Florida analogy doesn't hold water b/c those guys have nothing to do with fantasy sports. The analogy to baseball players though is there for anyone to see. You can compare Colston to other football players but the fantasy baseball season is still fresh in a lot of people's minds and so making the connection b/w Colston and somebody in the almost-over fantasy baseball season is relevant. ie how often does a 7th round rookie from a lower division school become a top 10 receiver? About as often as a 33rd round catcher makes the top 10 in HRs.

Free Bagel wrote:Hey here's an idea, since baseball guys are so perfect and innocent why not take these crazy comparisons over there where I'm sure they'll welcome them with open arms and throw you a parade the whole way through.

Dude, feel free to talk about football players over in the baseball cafe anytime you want. You don't have to but I don't see why you need to rain on other people's parades over here.

The next time that you run across a thread that you don't like why not give yourself a mental "Bah humbug" and move on to the next thread?

no offence dude, I'll still read your posts and tell you when you are wrong. :-]

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:52 pm

stomperrob wrote:So if there is legitimate value in comparing baseball players to football players, how come we never see these analogies in the baseball cafe??? Methinks they would be met with far greater disdain on the dark side! :-?

have you ever seen this on the lightside before this year? no.

i really dont understand how people dont see how this has legitimate value.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby stomperrob » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:28 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
stomperrob wrote:So if there is legitimate value in comparing baseball players to football players, how come we never see these analogies in the baseball cafe??? Methinks they would be met with far greater disdain on the dark side! :-?

have you ever seen this on the lightside before this year? no.

i really dont understand how people dont see how this has legitimate value.

I do happen to play fantasy baseball for but for those who don't it eliminates them from the discussion and is of no benefit to them and I see that as being at cross purposes to what this forum is supposed to be about. We are not serving the greater whole if we deliberately target certain football posts only to baseball fans. Where do we go from here - I would hate to see posts comparing football players to certain NHL and NBA players - once again we would be eliminating a portion of the people here who depend on the Cafe for information and assistance. We will be doing a great disservice to the members here if we continue down this slippery slope and everyone will lose out in the long run. We should be seeking to be more all-encompassing and not less so.

Some, but not all, of the posts in this vein come across as being very pedagogical and pedantic in nature in that they seem to serve no other purpose than for the author to preen his feathers and proclaim himself an expert in matters other than football. As such they are perceived by many as being pompous, bombastic, grandiloquent and self-aggrandizing. And many of those who originate these posts realize that and start them for no other reason than to get under the skin of the football purists. What is meant to pass as valid comparisons between sports all too often is merely wallowing in the mire of intellectual mediocrity. Would it really be such an imposition or hardship to eliminate the baseball comparisons - can it truly be said this Cafe would suffer without them??? The Baseball Cafe seems to manage just fine without football comparisons.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Marques Colston does not equal Jermaine Dye

Postby onnestabe » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:31 pm

skinsfan wrote:So stop talking him up so much like he's a Fantasy Football God!

(The Cafe doesn't allow the inequality sign in its subject lines.)

Sorry, but this is not the most useful post. I understand that you are just trying to start a discussion, but if you really want to get your point across, it would have been better to say "Colston does not equal Jerry Rice/Randy Moss/Tory Holt/Antonio Gates", since those are players that everyone here recognizes. If you are going to make a comparison to a baseball player, you should go into detail about how he is different and why that difference is significant enough for us to be discussing it.

Now to try to salvage this thread and make it into a meaningful conversation about a football player...

The hype around Colston right now has to do with a few things:
1. Dual position eligibility in Yahoo leagues.
2. The high number of targets he has been getting these first few weeks.
4. Physical similarities between him and Gates, Brees' favorite target in SD (I don't buy into this one, but it is feeding into the hype machine a bit, so I must include it)
3. The fact that he went undrafted in almost all fantasy leagues.

I think a far more useful comparison at this point is Keyshawn Johnson. They are both tall possession receivers that aren't very fast but can use their bodies well to gain position over the defensive back. If you think of Colston in that way, I think you get a better idea of what to expect from him from week to week. From Colston, I expect 7-10 catches each week with a 10 yard per catch average, but relatively few TDs since there are other, more explosive receivers in the offense to make those big plays. Numbers like that make him very valuable in yardage and PPR leagues, but not so much in leagues where TDs factor heavily in the scoring.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:49 pm

Last edited by The Miner Part 2 on Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Getting back on track....

Why do several of you believe that Colston will flame out like Shelton? I understand they are in similar situations going into the year but what factors in Colston's game make you think he cant keep it up. I dont think its quite good enough to compare him to Shelton and call it good. Theres got to be something more and im interested to hear what you guys have to say.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:53 pm

what about people who are long time fantasy baseball, hockey, soccer, etc. players who are playing fantasy football for the first time and are lost when it comes to nfl players? dont you think it would be helpful to have NFL players compared to players that they are familiar with?

i mean if we had a thread like this for hockey id learn tons. id get to see people who are knowledgable about both sports make comparisions so i could better gauge what certain players values are.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:03 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:Getting back on track....

Why do several of you believe that Colston will flame out like Shelton? I understand they are in similar situations going into the year but what factors in Colston's game make you think he cant keep it up. I dont think its quite good enough to compare him to Shelton and call it good. Theres got to be something more and im interested to hear what you guys have to say.

First of all the pedigree isn't there. 7th round out of Hofstra to top ten NFL. Something tells me he may fall back a little b/c that's quite a jump.

Secondly the Saints played Cleveland and GB with the 23rd and 25th ranked pass defenses respectively and then there was the emotion of the dome opener.

Personally, although I wish them the best, I don't think that the Saints can sustain it. The team will falter and it will affect everyone's stats. I think that Brees will start to go to the more dependable Horn more and Henderson will take some of Colston's looks.

The schedule has them up against some of the tougher defenses. Carolina, Tampa, Philly, Batlimore, Tampa, Pitt are their next 6 games. These defenses will study the tapes and learn how to cover this guy who seems to be a WR in a TE's body. Once they clamp down on him a little you will see more balls to Horn, Deuce and Reggie IMO.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:08 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:Getting back on track....

First of all the pedigree isn't there. 7th round out of Hofstra to top ten NFL. Something tells me he may fall back a little b/c that's quite a jump.

Secondly the Saints played Cleveland and GB with the 23rd and 25th ranked pass defenses respectively and then there was the emotion of the dome opener.

Personally, although I wish them the best, I don't think that the Saints can sustain it. The team will falter and it will affect everyone's stats. I think that Brees will start to go to the more dependable Horn more and Henderson will take some of Colston's looks.

The schedule has them up against some of the tougher defenses. Carolina, Tampa, Philly, Batlimore, Tampa, Pitt are their next 6 games. These defenses will study the tapes and learn how to cover this guy who seems to be a WR in a TE's body. Once they clamp down on him a little you will see more balls to Horn, Deuce and Reggie IMO.

Jerry Rice and Terrell Owens seemed to have pretty good NFL careers. If i remember correctly they came out of VERY small colleges.

I agree that the Saints are playing above their head right now and have played some weak competition i dont see all that many tough games. Baltimore and Ptt are really the only teams with good secondarys out of the teams you listed. Tampa Bay has played horribly and the entire eagles secondary is on the DL right now.

I really feel like Colston is a quality reciever especially in ppr leagues.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby skinsfan » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:25 pm

stomperrob wrote:I do happen to play fantasy baseball for but for those who don't it eliminates them from the discussion and is of no benefit to them and I see that as being at cross purposes to what this forum is supposed to be about.

A post with the subject "McGahee Owners...!" also eliminates anyone who doesn't own McGahee.

onnestabe wrote:I think a far more useful comparison at this point is Keyshawn Johnson.

Keyshawn was a rare #1 overall WR. I'm not going to always discriminate based on where a guy's taken in the draft (Terrell Davis and others have proven that any draft pick can be great), but most #1 overall picks are incredibly talented.
Skins fan through thick and thin.
skinsfan
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk