Marques Colston does not equal Jermaine Dye - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Marques Colston does not equal Jermaine Dye

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby skinsfan » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:30 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:what about people who are long time fantasy baseball, hockey, soccer, etc. players who are playing fantasy football for the first time and are lost when it comes to nfl players? dont you think it would be helpful to have NFL players compared to players that they are familiar with?

i mean if we had a thread like this for hockey id learn tons. id get to see people who are knowledgable about both sports make comparisions so i could better gauge what certain players values are.

I can start some Hockey posts if you'd like...like Khabi = Culpepper, or Jagr = Alexander, or even McCabe = Shockey (shallow positions, injury problems, great stats for the shockey comparison).
Skins fan through thick and thin.
skinsfan
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:37 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:Jerry Rice and Terrell Owens seemed to have pretty good NFL careers. If i remember correctly they came out of VERY small colleges.

I agree that the Saints are playing above their head right now and have played some weak competition i dont see all that many tough games. Baltimore and Ptt are really the only teams with good secondarys out of the teams you listed. Tampa Bay has played horribly and the entire eagles secondary is on the DL right now.

I really feel like Colston is a quality reciever especially in ppr leagues.

Owens had 35 catches for 520 yds and 4 TDs in his first year. Rice had 49-927-3. So even comparing him to the all time best receivers Colston is still playing over his head. The only 2 WRs that I can remember making a big splash in their rookie years were Randy Moss and Anquan Boldin.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby skinsfan » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:41 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:The only 2 WRs that I can remember making a big splash in their rookie years were Randy Moss and Anquan Boldin.

Michael Clayton
Andre Johnson
Torry Holt

to name a few...is there a list of players with over 800yards and 5TD in their rookie years?
Skins fan through thick and thin.
skinsfan
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:41 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:Jerry Rice and Terrell Owens seemed to have pretty good NFL careers. If i remember correctly they came out of VERY small colleges.

I agree that the Saints are playing above their head right now and have played some weak competition i dont see all that many tough games. Baltimore and Ptt are really the only teams with good secondarys out of the teams you listed. Tampa Bay has played horribly and the entire eagles secondary is on the DL right now.

Owens had 35 catches for 520 yds and 4 TDs in his first year. Rice had 49-927-3. So even comparing him to the all time best receivers Colston is still playing over his head. The only 2 WRs that I can remember making a big splash in their rookie years were Randy Moss and Anquan Boldin.

Thats true. Maybe im just overly positive being a Colston owner. Im just glad you were able to give some decent answers instead of just spouting off other baseball analogies. Thanks for a meaningful discussion!
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:31 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:

Thats true. Maybe im just overly positive being a Colston owner. Im just glad you were able to give some decent answers instead of just spouting off other baseball analogies. Thanks for a meaningful discussion!

Colston is the anti-Cole Hamels.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:29 pm

skinsfan wrote:
stomperrob wrote:I do happen to play fantasy baseball for but for those who don't it eliminates them from the discussion and is of no benefit to them and I see that as being at cross purposes to what this forum is supposed to be about.

A post with the subject "McGahee Owners...!" also eliminates anyone who doesn't own McGahee.

Actually I couldn't disagree with you more - just because I don't happen to have him on my team doesn't mean I'm not interested in him - I should be keeping up on all football players in case I find myself needing to make a trade in the near future. It would be rather shortsighted of me not to read it just because he's not on my team at this particular moment. Sorry, but that's totally different.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby Verdun Barbarians » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:35 pm

Verdun Barbarians
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby CC » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:53 pm

Verdun Barbarians wrote:Image

The best post in the thread.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:24 pm

wow, I thought this would be an intellgent discussion for us guys that made TE our next to last pick and then pulled Colston off the wire in week 1 to replace Bubba.

Great value!! .. almost Jermaine Dyeish

Guess I was wrong.
It is more just one big swipe at the Fantasy Baseballers alltogether.

Expect the same treatment in return fellas ..

expect the same ..

you set the bar. :-o
wrveres
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:34 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Colston has kinda come out of nowhere. He played at a lower division at Hofstra so he didn't get any pub or notice at all. He has not impressed anyone with his skills or his athletic ability. The consensus on him was that he should put on a little bit more muscle and become a TE (he may have played TE at Hofstra). Getting selected in the 7th round shows what scouts thought of him. He is a project. The only reason he is getting any playing time is because Stallworth was traded.

He has been very impressive in his few games but then again so has the entire Saints team. IMO Colston is playing over his head.

He is so much like Chris Shelton that it is scary.

Shelton was drafted in the 33rd round and as a catcher. His only value was that he was playing at a thin position like TE. But once he lost his catcher eligibilty he shone.....for about 4 weeks then faded back.

Right now I don't think that I would even waste my ww priority on Colston. Unless you think that the Saints are the real deal and a legit playoff team, then maybe Colston is legit too, but how many rookie wrs out of D1-AA have made a huge splash in the NFL?

How many rookie WRs out of D1-AA have knocked Joe Horn out of his position as the Saint's #1 WR by the 3rd game? It's glaringly obvious at this point that all the scouts missed on Colston bigtime. Colston would be a 1st round pick if we could go back in time and had the knowledge we have now.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk