Extreme Makeover (Fantasy Football Edition) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Extreme Makeover (Fantasy Football Edition)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Extreme Makeover (Fantasy Football Edition)

Postby Kilroy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:50 pm

After my $$$ League's Team Started 0-3 and on the heels of the SA news I decided that my roster needed a little change. So in an act of inspiration (or desperation, whatever) I dropped 7 of the 16 players on my team.

I dropped:
Kurt Warner
Matt Jones
Rod Smith
Ben Watson
David Akers
Buffalo D/ST
Philadelphia D/ST

And added:
Brett Favre
Deuce McAllister
Maurice Morris
Marques Colston
Greg Jennings
Nate Kaeding
Cleveland D/ST (Plindsey's #1 This Week, and I'm a Browns fan, so why not?)

Has anyone else ever gone Trump on their team, and if so how did it turn out? Am I crazy like a fox or just crazy?

"New" Roster:
QB - Bulger, Favre
RB - Alexander, Bush, McAllister, McGahee, Morris, Parker
WR - Colston, Harrison, Holt, Jennings, Stallworth
TE - Heap
K - Kaeding
D/ST - Cleveland

I also made the league aware that no one on my team is "untouchable" trade-wise. If I'm goin' down, I'm goin' down in flames.

:-B

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mystykoekaki » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:56 pm

Since my main team is 1-2 I have adopted the same kinda of thinking, I been making moves like a mad man, going down in flames is the way to play and exciting! :-°
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Extreme Makeover (Fantasy Football Edition)

Postby The Lung » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:04 pm

Kilroy1872 wrote:And added:
Brett Favre
Deuce McAllister
Maurice Morris
Marques Colston
Greg Jennings

You're either in a 6-team league or in a league comprised of 10-year olds, or both. None of those guys are available in any of the 5 leagues I participate in.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby bobbing_headz » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:04 pm

I seriously doubt this will be the answer to your problems. Unless your players are all injured it usually means that your losing team is either filled with players that are underachieving right now or you're performing well but getting beaten every week by some guy who manages to have the most points in the league. In either case I feel the best strategy this early is to just sit tight and wait. Maybe if your team was sucking by say week 7-8 than I might want to make a big change.
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby DrSpackle » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:14 pm

I'm also 0-3 but I still believe my team will come around. I lost one game because I started the wrong players. So I haven't pushed the panic button yet.
DrSpackle
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Re: Extreme Makeover (Fantasy Football Edition)

Postby Kilroy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:18 pm

The Lung wrote:
Kilroy1872 wrote:And added:
Brett Favre
Deuce McAllister
Maurice Morris
Marques Colston
Greg Jennings

You're either in a 6-team league or in a league comprised of 10-year olds, or both. None of those guys are available in any of the 5 leagues I participate in.

It's an 8 Team League, and all the other owners are First Timers who are still getting the hang of it. Condescending much?

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby moochman » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:23 am

You need to do more than let them know all your players are available, you need to strafe people with trade offers. You also need to target underperformers. Try and trade for either Moss, Randy preferably, and hope they start performing up to their talent levels.
Try and see if Jordan's owner is willing to part with him for Deuce and ? Maybe Caddy's owner as well. Lot's of work ahead of you dude. GL

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Kilroy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:34 am

moochman wrote:You need to do more than let them know all your players are available, you need to strafe people with trade offers. You also need to target underperformers. Try and trade for either Moss, Randy preferably, and hope they start performing up to their talent levels.
Try and see if Jordan's owner is willing to part with him for Deuce and ? Maybe Caddy's owner as well. Lot's of work ahead of you dude. GL

I know Mooch. I think it's gonna be tough to get a trade done though. They're all first-timers, and they all know me, so any trade I propose will likely be viewed with suspicion. They will possibly be inclined to believe that because I have "more" experience playing FF that I'm trying to put one over on 'em. At this point I got nothin' to lose, so I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the input. ;-D

Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Lung » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:55 am

Not trying to be condescending, Kilroy. I just think that:
  • Playing in a 8 team-league with first timers is like shooting fish in a barrel. I personally don't see the fun in that; it should be like taking candy from babies.
  • Your "Extreme Makeover" is a very rare situation and does not apply to 99% of the leagues Cafe regulars would participate in. No standard fantasy football league with competent and knowledgeable managers is going to have valuable free agents available like that - they are long gone. If I tried to do that in one of my leagues, I'd end up with Charlie Frye, Josh Reed, Tim Carter, Mack Strong, Verron Haynes, and the Saints defense. :-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby Kilroy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:20 pm

The Lung wrote:Not trying to be condescending, Kilroy. I just think that:
  • Playing in a 8 team-league with first timers is like shooting fish in a barrel. I personally don't see the fun in that; it should be like taking candy from babies.
  • Your "Extreme Makeover" is a very rare situation and does not apply to 99% of the leagues Cafe regulars would participate in. No standard fantasy football league with competent and knowledgeable managers is going to have valuable free agents available like that - they are long gone. If I tried to do that in one of my leagues, I'd end up with Charlie Frye, Josh Reed, Tim Carter, Mack Strong, Verron Haynes, and the Saints defense. :-D

No worries Lung. :-b

I started this league for some friends and family who wanted to give FF a try as they saw how much I've enjoyed it the past couple years. You'd have thought I'd be cruising along, yet here I sit at 0-3. (Either I'm unlucky, a moron, or an unlucky moron. My money's on Door #3.)

I realize that in many leagues most (if not all) of these players would not be available. (Although it seems that every year in every league I play in there's one or two guys on the WW that I stumble across and say "How the h**l is he available? I got Galloway last year in my old $$$ league that way.) My question was partially about opinions of the players I dropped vs. the players I added, and I could have been clearer about that.

Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk