Jackson vs Portis, who's better from here on out? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jackson vs Portis, who's better from here on out?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jackson vs Portis, who's better from here on out?

Postby Rat Pack » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:54 pm

Who do you think is the better back for the rest of the season? non- ppr league. I have both and am contemplating trading one of them for a top WR along the lines of Fitzgerald. I think Jackson will be the more consistent of the two, but Portis has that huge game potential. Also, I think the Rams are the better team, which may benefit the running game. My gut tells me that Jackson is the better back for this season, what do you guys think?
"Here's the thing: if you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, you are the sucker."- Rounders
Rat Pack
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby tHe.pRoFessionaL » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:42 pm

I would go with Jackson, because I am willing to bet that Portis will re-injure that shoulder next time he gets hit on it.
tHe.pRoFessionaL
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby monkey69 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:53 pm

I think Jackson will do better
-- WAS other offense just hasn't clicked
monkey69
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moonhead » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:06 pm

portis hands down. he's a better back in a better system. washington will learn the play book and become a juggernaut with portis being the centerpiece. he will open up the pass and give brunell the time he needs to make his reads and the right decision. moss will stretch the field and lloyd will make the hard catches over the middle and randle el can stretch the field and keep the defense honest with gadget plays. if portis didn't get injured in preseason i had ideas of him being the #1 scoring back this year. i'm not sold on st. louis's offense this year. i like jackson he's a hard runner, but i don't think stl's line is worth much.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby mystykoekaki » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:12 pm

I would have to say Portis. At least he will get his chances in the redzone. What I have noticed thus far about STL is that whenever they get into the redzone they maybe hand one off to Jackson and then if he doesnt get a 10 yarder into the endzone on his first try then they pass the next two downs. Then they kick a field goal. It gets really OLD and FRUSTRATING at times, go with Portis. Good luck m8. ;-D
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kilroy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:24 pm

Portis doesn't re-injure the shoulder I'd say it will be him by a fair margin, for the reasons that Moon and Mysty so aptly stated.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby FantasyMan13 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:59 pm

Portis, and it's not even that close (barring anymore injury). I doubt SJax will get more than 7 TDs, and Portis is in a way better system on a better team which will allow them to run more.
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby SniperShot » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:11 pm

Portis will easily finish ahead of Jackson. ;-D

If the Skins don't use him they lose football games.

If the Rams don't use Jackson, they still just use Bulgers arm and sling it to Holt and Co. for 300+ yards.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby aerodan » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:17 pm

First off, the Redskins are a vastly overrated , bad fooball team. Their only win is against a bad football team, and they will be lucky to score a point against that JAX defense this week. Not only that, but the type of injury Portis has it's likely that shoulder will give him trouble on and off all year long. That's going to produce some inconsistent numbers, and the fact that the Redskins are a bad football team will hurt his scoring chances as well. Stick with Jackson less on his own credentials but Portis and the Redskins lack of them.
aerodan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:48 pm

i don't think the skins are "vastly overrated" but I do question the wisdom of a 700 page playbook. I don't think I could memorize 700 pages to be honest, millions or not. Granted, portis probably doesn't need to know all of that, but his qb and blockers do.

I wonder if by the time they learn it, it will be too late. all else being equal though, I'm taking portis. that dude is simply dynamic and makes the whole complexion of that team different.

Sjax is good and all, but if I had to choose, I would say that Portis has more things going for him than against him when compared to jackson. For: More talented, more talented coach, team that was built around him sooner than st. louis was built around jackson. Against: injury. That's not nothin', but at the same time, anyone can go down in this game, I don't find it worth worrying about too much honestly, because anyone who is on a fantasy roster is a massive target in real life, and people will take their shots when they can. Other than fred talyor and some other examples, a lot of these injuries seem, if not fluky, unpredictable and not representative of "injury prone."

Plus, Kid Bro Sweets is hysterical. And I'm an eagles fan. So there you have it.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Football Talk