My Controversial List - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

My Controversial List

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Atog » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:37 pm

Crippler wrote:
Bravos of Steel wrote:My first picks would go O-Line no doubt. I'd have an elite O-Line and David Carr over an average to bad O-Line and Peyton Manning any day. That's just me though.

Your first picks would go to O-line? Huh?

You know better than that from playing Fantasy ball.

All the top QBs will be gone almost immediately and you'd be taking Offensive linemen 3 round before anyone else. If you think they are important, I'm sure you could easily get the top O-liners later in the draft. You wouldnt draft Neil Rackers in the first round of your fantasy draft because he's the best kicker would you? No, if you wanted him, you'd wait until the later rounds and still get him for much cheaper.

An awesome O-line doesnt mean anything if they have the worst QB and RB in the league playing behind them.

Elite QBs are gravy. I'd rather have LT and Rivers than Dunn and Peyton.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesrule » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:38 pm

when in doubt, teams do not take running backs generally.

If they suddenly threw everyone back in the pool, I highly doubt you wouldn't see peyton, brady, carson going the top three. buidling around the runnign back is a trend teams in general seem to be getting away from. If it were that important, you would have seen alexander locked up sooner, and edge staying put. I think we would see mostly qb's and lineman going for a while, with defensive guys and truly elite wr's going. that's just my opinion.

there is no way ten picks would go by without someone taking peyton or another elite qb. they simply have too much of an effect on the game.

I also think, and am welcoming disagreement, but the cb's wouldn't go as high with the new rules. A ture shut down is indeed a huge asset, but with the rules, I think we would see pass rushers being more emphasized than corner backs. Dlineman have an effect on every snap, where as corners for the most part are only a factor in exotic blitzes and passing downs.

And while some may crucify me, I ultimately don't see how peyton manning wouldn't be the first pick. I personally like brady, mcnabb and carson more, but to have a guy with that talent and knowledge at the most important position would be too tough to resist.

And as much as I love the eagles players, no way dawkins or trotter go that high. they are in their prime or jus tpast it. youth would enter the equation too.

I also think Lavar is too high, it took him forever to sign with a team, and if all it is paying a guy rather than using a draft spot, if he was held in that high esteem, he would have bene signed.

I hate eli, but I also highly doubt that plax would go before eli, he would definitely in my opinion be in the first roudn in a draft like this.

He is growing and may never equal peyton, but honestly, i think the only qb's I would want ahead of him are his brother, brady, palmer, mcnabb, hasselbeck (maybe) and that is kind of it at this point. I know people can disagree, but I am hard pressed to think of other qb's who have his talent and age at this point.

I also think, (homer alert), that some team would probably spend high picks on olineman then pick up a tough back and westrbook and do something truly new. If I was drafting a team from scratch and wanted to be a little risky, I might go olineman, a nice hefty back, vick, then westbrook. that would be something.

I think these kinds of lists are too hard to do, because systems change the rankings too much.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby citybirds27 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:28 pm

Crippler wrote:
Bravos of Steel wrote:My first picks would go O-Line no doubt. I'd have an elite O-Line and David Carr over an average to bad O-Line and Peyton Manning any day. That's just me though.

All the top QBs will be gone almost immediately and you'd be taking Offensive linemen 3 round before anyone else. If you think they are important, I'm sure you could easily get the top O-liners later in the draft. You wouldnt draft Neil Rackers in the first round of your fantasy draft because he's the best kicker would you? No, if you wanted him, you'd wait until the later rounds and still get him for much cheaper.

An awesome O-line doesnt mean anything if they have the worst QB and RB in the league playing behind them.

it does
citybirds27
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby FatFoot » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:36 pm

Awesome O Lines make mediocre QBs look good, and CREATE good RBs.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby theimitator » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:46 pm

I agree. While I definately wouldn't reach early for an o-line, an excellent o-line will give an average QB time to make a decision or open more holes for an average RB. An average o-line won't give the QB enough time for complex plays to develop or a RB enough room to run.

Let's not forget about all those silly false start penalties that wouldn't happen as often with an excellent o-line. Dontcha hate it when your team moves in the wrong direction! :~(
14 Team w/FLX .5PPR
The Porkchop Express
QB: Carson Palmer, Vince Young
RB: Maurice Jones-Drew, Matt Forte, Reggie Bush, Tim Hightower
WR: Greg Jennings, Anquan Boldin, Terrell Owens, Jabar Gaffney
TE: John Carlson, Ben Watson
PK: R Gould
TD: NO, TB
theimitator
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:24 pm

I like the idea of locking up o top O line early

Not enough credit is given to the O Line, and there are alot of QBs who would be considered Elite if they had the best O Line in the game blcoking for them. It also helps the running game.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Perfectibilist » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:24 pm

I would definitely go for a good/young o-line. I would sacrifice a little bit of talent for some younger guys because o-line is something that you definitely don't want to have to change up every year.

I'm not gonna type out a whole list of players, but I can give you a little insight.

I would definitely look for a QB first. They QB position is the most coveted and looked up to position in the NFL for a reason...

I would also try to find a good multi-faceted running back that could run, catch, and block. Pretty much same thing with a TE. I'd probably take a play-maker WR or shut down corner soon, but I would start working on O-line right now. I'd start LT, LG, RG, RT, C (unless a steal was available elsewhere).

I love shutdown corners, but if you don't have a d-line to put pressure, then the other guys are gonna come open and it won't really matter. I'd probably take a good MLB to anchor my Def., and then take a couple DEs and work my way back (DTs, CBs, LBs, SS, FS.

I know that isn't exactly what you were looking for, but that's about as much time as I feel like putting into it right now. :-b
Perfectibilist
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby u_fig_eater » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:30 pm

This is gonna be labeled as "dumb", but I would take Michael Vick. As Jim Mora once said, people love this dude. He's still young, and he is of course a double threat.
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby deacon » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:10 pm

Crippler wrote:

Apparently you have never heard of the Denver Broncos or Pittsburg Steelers! In the 'real' world of football it is won and lost at the line of scrimmage. He who controls the line wins the game, period.

If you doubt that just look at a couple of examples:

Edge- one of the best and most productive backs in the league with Colts, now a middle of the road (production wise) performer.

Trent Green- a mediocre QB that couldn't keep his job while at the Redskins with their horrible line but now a perennial 4000 yd passer with the Chiefs O-line.

The Ravens the year they won the title didn't have an elite QB or rusher but they had the best D-line and top 5 O-line in the league.

'nuff said!!!
Bacon is the greatest meat of all!
deacon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby deacon » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:16 pm

In response to the question I would assemble a D-line first, then D-backs, then O-line, QB, LBs, WRs, RBs.

I would take Samkon Gado with a great O-line everyday over S. Alexander and a mediocre O-line.
But as the Colts have proven year after year, if your D can't stop the opponent at crucial points in the game you will not win in the playoffs!
Bacon is the greatest meat of all!
deacon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk