For those who ask for advice on this site... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

For those who ask for advice on this site...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Double Play Ball » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:29 am

onnestabe wrote:I don't usually pay much attention to the short responses ("Do it/Don't do it", "Bench Player X", etc.), but if someone gives their opinion with their reasoning, I will give it more weight. If I det a detailed response, I can then base my decision on whether or not I agree with their reasoning.

Ditto
Welll put, i do exactly what you said.
Double Play Ball
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mattb47 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:56 am

Yea, I don't really post questions in the cafe much. Normally I just talk to certain people I trust on AIM if I have something I'm debating over, just to bounce ideas off of, normally it's just to confirm what I'm already thinking.

If I ever do post a question in one of the forums, I normally ignore all those who give one word answers. To me, those are pretty much worthless, for all I know they are just picking one and posting it. I have always been an advocate of explaining why you think a person should go a certain way with their decision, so that they have something to base it on. It doesn't really help them if you just give a one word answer.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:04 am

I agree with you here. Unless I get info that I didn't know, I go with what my original gut was. The reason I ask is generally to make sure there isnt an injury or personal problem or something that i wasnt aware of

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Thursday » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:08 am

Well, i almost went with Kennison this week vs. SF, but a unanimous decision to the contrary made me decide to start Chris Henry over him. However, there have been times where i wish i had gone with my gut.
Thursday
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby V-unit » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:34 am

like most of you in here i usually know who im going to start but ill ask just to get some opinons.I love the Cafe for what it is opinons and information and in the end i get to decided who to start.
Starting Linup for 2007
QB:M.Schaub*,J.Cambell,J.Dellhomme(IR)
RB:L.Tomlinson*,Rudi Johnson*,E.Grahm,C.WIlliams(IR)
WR:S.Smith*,Roy Williams*,G.Jennings,N.Burleson
WR/TE:A.Gates*,D.Clark
K:S.M.Grokaswkie NE K*,S.Grahm
D:SD*,Tennesee
V-unit
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Kensat30 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:00 pm

Gut told me Maroney this week, but advice led to Jamal Lewis. More of the same next week probably. Information overload leads to confusion.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:31 am

mattb47 wrote:Yea, I don't really post questions in the cafe much. Normally I just talk to certain people I trust on AIM if I have something I'm debating over, just to bounce ideas off of, normally it's just to confirm what I'm already thinking.

If I ever do post a question in one of the forums, I normally ignore all those who give one word answers. To me, those are pretty much worthless, for all I know they are just picking one and posting it. I have always been an advocate of explaining why you think a person should go a certain way with their decision, so that they have something to base it on. It doesn't really help them if you just give a one word answer.

Last year I posted q's all the time. This year I haven't posted any and I do exactly what Matt does. I'll use AIM with certain people in order to get a 2nd opinion. I take those into consideration but I always make the final decision. I really hate it when people come here and blame the people that were just trying to help them for MAKING them lose. That's just idiotic because every person here ultimately makes their own final decision. And I also agree that one word answers are completely worthless. I won't even post unless I have a good reason to go along with my answer to a question.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)

Postby moochman » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:15 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
mattb47 wrote:Yea, I don't really post questions in the cafe much. Normally I just talk to certain people I trust on AIM if I have something I'm debating over, just to bounce ideas off of, normally it's just to confirm what I'm already thinking.

Last year I posted q's all the time. This year I haven't posted any and I do exactly what Matt does. I'll use AIM with certain people in order to get a 2nd opinion. I take those into consideration but I always make the final decision. I really hate it when people come here and blame the people that were just trying to help them for MAKING them lose. That's just idiotic because every person here ultimately makes their own final decision. And I also agree that one word answers are completely worthless. I won't even post unless I have a good reason to go along with my answer to a question.

Before you call a lot of my responses completely worthless, try and understand why I sometimes just post who I'd start and not why. On Sundays I will try and respond to as many as I can and don't have a lot of time to add comments. I like to add them, but I want to try and help those who aren't getting responses.

I remember all too well what it is like to need advice or just reassurance. Heck I remember it like it was just Sunday morning.......cause it was. So please don't just blow off short answers as worthless, sonetimes there is a need for brevity. Wish I'd have used some of it here. lol

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby mattb47 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:18 am

moochman wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:

Before you call a lot of my responses completely worthless, try and understand why I sometimes just post who I'd start and not why. On Sundays I will try and respond to as many as I can and don't have a lot of time to add comments. I like to add them, but I want to try and help those who aren't getting responses.

I remember all too well what it is like to need advice or just reassurance. Heck I remember it like it was just Sunday morning.......cause it was. So please don't just blow off short answers as worthless, sonetimes there is a need for brevity. Wish I'd have used some of it here. lol

All I was saying is that I don't find them helpful one bit. If someone doesn't give me any reasoning behind what they think, I don't really give it much credibility or any weight when I make my decision on what I should do. I'm not just going to choose something or be reassured just because someone posts an answer, I listen to people's opinions and things based on the reasoning behind their decision, not who it's coming from or the decision itself.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Jimboozie » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:13 am

If someone makes a good case for starting x player, he will probably get the start.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk