Gabriel WILL BE A TOP 20 WR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Gabriel WILL BE A TOP 20 WR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby ateam » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:59 pm

Look at the reception spread so far for the Pats:

B. Watson - 12 rec
D. Gabriel - 10 rec
T. Brown - 10 rec
K. Faulk - 10 rec
R. Caldwell - 9 rec
D. Graham - 8 rec
L. Maroney - 6 rec

Yes, Gabriel has more receptions per game, but with the history that the Pats have of spreading the ball around, it's hard to be extremely timistic that this will be a trend of consistent production.
==========================================

Let's try this again...hmmm Gabriel has played in 2 games not 4 like the others....let's try some simple math here:

Look at the reception spread so far for the Pats:

B. Watson - 12 rec
D. Gabriel - 20 rec
T. Brown - 10 rec
K. Faulk - 10 rec
R. Caldwell - 9 rec
D. Graham - 8 rec
L. Maroney - 6 rec

Yeah you've convinced me now! ;-D

PS: Before DG joined the team Brady totaled 2 TD passes to WRs, since: 2 TDs to DG, 0 to any other WR.

Yes, it is a small sample size, but again, I like what I see so far.
I hate LJ Smith!
ateam
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1219
Joined: 1 May 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mattb47 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:05 pm

ateam wrote:Look at the reception spread so far for the Pats:

B. Watson - 12 rec
D. Gabriel - 10 rec
T. Brown - 10 rec
K. Faulk - 10 rec
R. Caldwell - 9 rec
D. Graham - 8 rec
L. Maroney - 6 rec

Yes, Gabriel has more receptions per game, but with the history that the Pats have of spreading the ball around, it's hard to be extremely timistic that this will be a trend of consistent production.
==========================================

Let's try this again...hmmm Gabriel has played in 2 games not 4 like the others....let's try some simple math here:

Look at the reception spread so far for the Pats:

B. Watson - 12 rec
D. Gabriel - 20 rec
T. Brown - 10 rec
K. Faulk - 10 rec
R. Caldwell - 9 rec
D. Graham - 8 rec
L. Maroney - 6 rec

Yeah you've convinced me now! ;-D

PS: Before DG joined the team Brady totaled 2 TD passes to WRs, since: 2 TDs to DG, 0 to any other WR.

Yes, it is a small sample size, but again, I like what I see so far.


You can't simply ignore the history of what Tom Brady has always done! He has always been a QB who throws it to the open player, doesn't focus on a certain guy as being the man for him. I'm sorry, but if you want to base a guy's production for the season on 2 games, you will be sorely disapointed most of the time. I'm done with this argument, because I think I've said what I think needs to be said.

In short:

- Brady has a history of spreading the ball around to the point of it being fantasy hell in picking a NE WR.

- Gabriel is an unproven entity, 2 pretty good games (and I only say pretty good because 65 and 57 yds is far from dominant) is not enough to base an entire season of production on

I'm not saying it's not possible that he finishes as a top 20 WR, I'm just saying that the odds are against it given the history of how Brady plays, and the unprovenness of Gabriel. Anyway, I've said what I'm going to say and I'm done here.
Image
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14238
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby matmat » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:45 am

mattb47 wrote:You can't simply ignore the history of what Tom Brady has always done! He has always been a QB who throws it to the open player, doesn't focus on a certain guy as being the man for him.


OK. I'll ask.
is it possible that Gabriel, given the pats offensive system, has figured out how to get open better than all the other NE recievers?
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
Image
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1816
Joined: 12 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hovering over a keyboard.

Postby ateam » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:36 am

I will now give my proxy to some Tom Brady dude:

Oct 2 Gabriel earned his first start with the Patriots Sunday against the Bengals and responded by catching four passes for 57 yards and one touchdown, the Boston Globe reports.
Recommendation: Gabriel has scored in two straight games and seems to be winning the confidence of QB Tom Brady. "He's going to be a great asset for this team, a big part of our passing game each week," Brady said."We have to continue to find ways to get him the ball." As long as that is the plan, Gabriel looks like a decent fantasy option.

:-D
I hate LJ Smith!
ateam
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1219
Joined: 1 May 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mattb47 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:41 am

ateam wrote:I will now give my proxy to some Tom Brady dude:

Oct 2 Gabriel earned his first start with the Patriots Sunday against the Bengals and responded by catching four passes for 57 yards and one touchdown, the Boston Globe reports.
Recommendation: Gabriel has scored in two straight games and seems to be winning the confidence of QB Tom Brady. "He's going to be a great asset for this team, a big part of our passing game each week," Brady said. "We have to continue to find ways to get him the ball." As long as that is the plan, Gabriel looks like a decent fantasy option.

:-D


::sigh::

Ok, I was done, but I think I'll respond anyway. Brady has said things like this in past about other guys.....like Deion Branch for example, but it hasn't meant a thing. And matmat, are you trying to say that Gabriel is just a better WR than guy like Deion Branch and David Givens? It's possible I suppose, but I personally doubt that he is that much better than they are at this and it is simply that he had 2 good games.

Once again, not saying he wont be a great WR this year, but you guys aren't even acknowledging the fact that he could end up not being a top 20 WR. All I'm saying is give some sort of credit to past history, as most times it is the best indicator of how things will eventually play out. I picked up Gabriel in a few leagues, just because there's a chance that he could end up being a go-to type guy for Brady, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
Image
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14238
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ateam » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:49 am

mattb47 wrote:
ateam wrote:I will now give my proxy to some Tom Brady dude:

Oct 2 Gabriel earned his first start with the Patriots Sunday against the Bengals and responded by catching four passes for 57 yards and one touchdown, the Boston Globe reports.
Recommendation: Gabriel has scored in two straight games and seems to be winning the confidence of QB Tom Brady. "He's going to be a great asset for this team, a big part of our passing game each week," Brady said. "We have to continue to find ways to get him the ball." As long as that is the plan, Gabriel looks like a decent fantasy option.

:-D


::sigh::

Ok, I was done, but I think I'll respond anyway. Brady has said things like this in past about other guys.....like Deion Branch for example, but it hasn't meant a thing. And matmat, are you trying to say that Gabriel is just a better WR than guy like Deion Branch and David Givens? It's possible I suppose, but I personally doubt that he is that much better than they are at this and it is simply that he had 2 good games.

Once again, not saying he wont be a great WR this year, but you guys aren't even acknowledging the fact that he could end up not being a top 20 WR. All I'm saying is give some sort of credit to past history, as most times it is the best indicator of how things will eventually play out. I picked up Gabriel in a few leagues, just because there's a chance that he could end up being a go-to type guy for Brady, but I'm not getting my hopes up.



"...soo you're saying there's a chance!" :-b

In a nutshell, I see where you are coming from, and probably agree more with you're argument than the top 20 thing, but like I keep saying about my WW find in my 14 team league that starts 3-5 WRs----I like what I'm seeing thus far! ;-D
I hate LJ Smith!
ateam
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1219
Joined: 1 May 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:42 pm

mattb47 wrote:
ateam wrote:Look at the reception spread so far for the Pats:

B. Watson - 12 rec
D. Gabriel - 10 rec
T. Brown - 10 rec
K. Faulk - 10 rec
R. Caldwell - 9 rec
D. Graham - 8 rec
L. Maroney - 6 rec

Yes, Gabriel has more receptions per game, but with the history that the Pats have of spreading the ball around, it's hard to be extremely timistic that this will be a trend of consistent production.
==========================================

Let's try this again...hmmm Gabriel has played in 2 games not 4 like the others....let's try some simple math here:

Look at the reception spread so far for the Pats:

B. Watson - 12 rec
D. Gabriel - 20 rec
T. Brown - 10 rec
K. Faulk - 10 rec
R. Caldwell - 9 rec
D. Graham - 8 rec
L. Maroney - 6 rec

Yeah you've convinced me now! ;-D

PS: Before DG joined the team Brady totaled 2 TD passes to WRs, since: 2 TDs to DG, 0 to any other WR.

Yes, it is a small sample size, but again, I like what I see so far.


You can't simply ignore the history of what Tom Brady has always done! He has always been a QB who throws it to the open player, doesn't focus on a certain guy as being the man for him. I'm sorry, but if you want to base a guy's production for the season on 2 games, you will be sorely disapointed most of the time. I'm done with this argument, because I think I've said what I think needs to be said.

In short:

- Brady has a history of spreading the ball around to the point of it being fantasy hell in picking a NE WR.

- Gabriel is an unproven entity, 2 pretty good games (and I only say pretty good because 65 and 57 yds is far from dominant) is not enough to base an entire season of production on

I'm not saying it's not possible that he finishes as a top 20 WR, I'm just saying that the odds are against it given the history of how Brady plays, and the unprovenness of Gabriel. Anyway, I've said what I'm going to say and I'm done here.


Deion Branch/David Givens/Tim Dwight/David Patten

vs.

Doug Gabriel/ 40 year old DB Troy Brown/ injured Reche Caldwell/ injured rookie Chad Jackson/ bunch of TEs


The opportunity is there for a guy to emerge regardless of how much Brady spreads the ball. Fact is Gabriel in his only 2 healthy games, has been the recepient of virutall ALL the garbage time passes in a close game. And in the blowout going the OTHER way, Gabriel still prospered. It's easy to write off two games, but once he strings together another game, and then another, it will be hard to deny what is happening. Just as easily Gabriel could throw down a 2/20/0 stinker and you will look smart.

I think the real key is to find the guys like Gabriel EARLY while you still can. WR20 is a strong possibility at this point. He has produced as the #12 best WR in the past 2 weeks. Small sample size or not, that sample is in his favor.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 6427
Joined: 2 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:46 pm

mattb47 wrote:::sigh::

Ok, I was done, but I think I'll respond anyway. Brady has said things like this in past about other guys.....like Deion Branch for example, but it hasn't meant a thing. And matmat, are you trying to say that Gabriel is just a better WR than guy like Deion Branch and David Givens? It's possible I suppose, but I personally doubt that he is that much better than they are at this and it is simply that he had 2 good games.

Once again, not saying he wont be a great WR this year, but you guys aren't even acknowledging the fact that he could end up not being a top 20 WR. All I'm saying is give some sort of credit to past history, as most times it is the best indicator of how things will eventually play out. I picked up Gabriel in a few leagues, just because there's a chance that he could end up being a go-to type guy for Brady, but I'm not getting my hopes up.


THERE IS NO DEION BRANCH OR GIVENS! Football is not static. Things constantly change. A few weeks ago Doug Gabriel wasn't even on the Patriot's. Now he leads one of the poorest and banged up WR Corps in the entire NFL, lead by one of the best QBs in the NFL. See what Stallworth did in Philly BTW? Why can't Gabriel do that in NE?

Remember, McNabb never did anything without Terrell Owens. Remember?

2005!=2006
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 6427
Joined: 2 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Twisted Sister » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:40 pm

Picked Doug up... at the very least... he's worth a "wait and see" ;-D

I agree, as more teams focus on stopping the run (as they will)... Doug has some good upside.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2822
Joined: 19 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Postby saundman2000 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:58 pm

Crystalstorm,

I've seen a lot of your prediction or "bold statement" posts.... Please just stop it. The Predictions forum closed at the beginning of the season and all Nostradomus prophecies should have ceased with it.

Wild prediction posts definitely evoke reactions, but they don't have much substance or value.

What's the idea exactly? Are you going to make 200 bold predictions so that when one of them comes true at the end of the season, you can give us a big "I told you so!" ?
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 1883
Joined: 31 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Illinois

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 2:01 hours
(and 38 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact