Gabriel WILL BE A TOP 20 WR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Gabriel WILL BE A TOP 20 WR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby superslugger616 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:55 pm

I see defenses focusing more of their attention on the run with the breakout of maroney and the good play of dillon. Gabriel will be in single coverage often, and with his atheltic ability and size, Brady is more often than not find a wat to get him the ball. There is little to no argument that Gabriel is the No. 1 receiver on the team. Deion Branch was the 22nd best WR last year as Brady's No. 1 target, and i see the running game as stronger than last year. People saying it is an extreme longshot for Gabriel to finish top 20 WR should take the situation into perspective. Plus, he has wonderboy Tom Brady throwing to him.
Image
superslugger616
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 163
Joined: 26 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mattb47 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:18 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Deion Branch/David Givens/Tim Dwight/David Patten

vs.

Doug Gabriel/ 40 year old DB Troy Brown/ injured Reche Caldwell/ injured rookie Chad Jackson/ bunch of TEs


It's a good thing you didn't make that sound biased to your side at all.... :-b
Image
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14238
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:02 pm

mattb47 wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Deion Branch/David Givens/Tim Dwight/David Patten

vs.

Doug Gabriel/ 40 year old DB Troy Brown/ injured Reche Caldwell/ injured rookie Chad Jackson/ bunch of TEs


It's a good thing you didn't make that sound biased to your side at all.... :-b


Can you debate that this is the thinest and least talented WR corps the Pat's have had in years? Seriosly, I think not.

When has anyone ever speculated that Daniel Graham is the most talented pass catcher on the team, like many were speculating that Ben Watson was the most talented pass catcher this preseason? The WR talent is just thin.

Troy Brown is still playing DB and was CUT before the season. They brought him back and this guy got thrust into a starting WR role. His last effective year as a starter was more than 5 years ago... that is a lifetime in NFL years.

Likewise Reche Caldwell was CUT before the season and the Pat's picked him up. Caldwell has been dealing with injuries for multiple weeks and took a massive hit this weekend that I think will see lingering effects. He was expected to step in and become the deep threat that the Pat's game relies on. Except, Caldwell was never really that good, and he hasn't even been able to step into David Patten and/or Tim Dwight's shoes.

Chad Jackson hasn't been healthy since the start of training camp and is a rookie. Childress might or has been called up from the practice squad. There is nothing there! Going into the Cincy game there were FOUR WRs on the 53 man roster. They couldn't run a true 5 WR set if they wanted to.

Bottomline, the Pat's had to make the Gabriel trade with Branch out, and now that Branch is gone, Gabriel is all they have.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 6427
Joined: 2 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mattb47 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:46 am

Kensat30 wrote:
mattb47 wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Deion Branch/David Givens/Tim Dwight/David Patten

vs.

Doug Gabriel/ 40 year old DB Troy Brown/ injured Reche Caldwell/ injured rookie Chad Jackson/ bunch of TEs


It's a good thing you didn't make that sound biased to your side at all.... :-b


Can you debate that this is the thinest and least talented WR corps the Pat's have had in years? Seriosly, I think not.

When has anyone ever speculated that Daniel Graham is the most talented pass catcher on the team, like many were speculating that Ben Watson was the most talented pass catcher this preseason? The WR talent is just thin.

Troy Brown is still playing DB and was CUT before the season. They brought him back and this guy got thrust into a starting WR role. His last effective year as a starter was more than 5 years ago... that is a lifetime in NFL years.

Likewise Reche Caldwell was CUT before the season and the Pat's picked him up. Caldwell has been dealing with injuries for multiple weeks and took a massive hit this weekend that I think will see lingering effects. He was expected to step in and become the deep threat that the Pat's game relies on. Except, Caldwell was never really that good, and he hasn't even been able to step into David Patten and/or Tim Dwight's shoes.

Chad Jackson hasn't been healthy since the start of training camp and is a rookie. Childress might or has been called up from the practice squad. There is nothing there! Going into the Cincy game there were FOUR WRs on the 53 man roster. They couldn't run a true 5 WR set if they wanted to.

Bottomline, the Pat's had to make the Gabriel trade with Branch out, and now that Branch is gone, Gabriel is all they have.


First off, it was a joke. Secondly, Brady has said that his #1 WR is whoever is open. Yes he said that when he had Branch and Givens at WR, but I don't think his general philosophy will change. He'll throw to the open player, it may be Gabriel more this year, it may not be. Another thing to keep in mind is that if Gabriel is indeed "all they have", defenses will be focusing heavily on defending him in the passing game because if he is all they have, all they have to do is stop him to stop the passing game....this is where Brady is a good QB and wont try to force it in there, he'll throw to the open guy, which may not be Gabriel if defenses start to pay more attention to him.
Image
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14238
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kilroy » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:24 am

I can see validity on both sides of this debate:

On the one hand, it's hard to dispute that the Pats' receiving core is as thin (or thinner) as it's been since Brady took over.

On the other hand, Brady has always spread the ball around. If Gabriel continues to produce it stands to reason that defenses will focus on him more, which should leave other receivers open.

Do I think Gabriel will be (or is) a viable fantasy receiver? He'd be a decent WR3. Top 20 is a bit of a stretch in my opinion though.
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

Postby ScrappyDoo » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:07 am

Im gonna agree with Kensat here.

Brady is obvioulsy trying to implement a new system in NE.

I live in Mass, so I see all the games. He is looking almost exclusively to Gabriel on long balls.

Reche Caldwell is a possession type receiver and will not be the focal point of Brady's passes.

Gabriel was always talented in Oakland with no QB to throw to him. He is a monster, hes big and fast and there have been a couple of plays where he will just break tackles by smashing into people.

Last year Givens and Branch were a big reason there was so much spreading the ball around.

In terms of talent, Gabriel is above any WR on the team by a good margin. Brady is starting to throw to him more and more.

I think that top #20 is a good approximation. With a higher upside.

Brady is immensely talented. Gabriel has a lot to gain in the NE offense.

Now if they could only trade for Moss.
Image
ScrappyDoo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff


Posts: 315
Joined: 5 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:16 pm

ScrappyDoo wrote:Im gonna agree with Kensat here.

Brady is obvioulsy trying to implement a new system in NE.

I live in Mass, so I see all the games. He is looking almost exclusively to Gabriel on long balls.

Reche Caldwell is a possession type receiver and will not be the focal point of Brady's passes.

Gabriel was always talented in Oakland with no QB to throw to him. He is a monster, hes big and fast and there have been a couple of plays where he will just break tackles by smashing into people.

Last year Givens and Branch were a big reason there was so much spreading the ball around.

In terms of talent, Gabriel is above any WR on the team by a good margin. Brady is starting to throw to him more and more.

I think that top #20 is a good approximation. With a higher upside.

Brady is immensely talented. Gabriel has a lot to gain in the NE offense.

Now if they could only trade for Moss.


Moss would be a monster in New England. I shudder thinking about what it would be like right now if they had gotten Randy instead of Doug.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 6427
Joined: 2 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BigZ38 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:48 pm

It'd be great if he do something today
BigZ38
Cheerleader
Cheerleader


Posts: 8
Joined: 19 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:05 pm

youve gotta admit, gabriel is the go to guy and the other wr's arent worth much...i picked up gabriel after his first game he scored with them, it was obvious who brady was looking towards more, and its obvious he's the most talented guy they have....


saying he's all they have so teams will key on him and shut him down is a horrible argument, if there were the case you would never see roy williams or andre johnson in the pro bowl...


gabriel will very well be a top WR this year whether it be because of him or brady but i can see alot of td's going his way, im still upset i dropped him before his 2nd game
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 5373
Joined: 21 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Arlington, Texas

Postby mattb47 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:21 pm

LS2throwed wrote:youve gotta admit, gabriel is the go to guy and the other wr's arent worth much...i picked up gabriel after his first game he scored with them, it was obvious who brady was looking towards more, and its obvious he's the most talented guy they have....


saying he's all they have so teams will key on him and shut him down is a horrible argument, if there were the case you would never see roy williams or andre johnson in the pro bowl...


gabriel will very well be a top WR this year whether it be because of him or brady but i can see alot of td's going his way, im still upset i dropped him before his 2nd game


Did you see the game today? Why are you posting this after Gabriel had a terrible game where he only had 2 catches for 7 yards?

It's not a terrible argument to say that when someone is all a team has teams will concentrate on him more....it's called defensive strategy. Look at Steve Smith in the game they lost to the Seahawks in the playoffs, he was all they had and they shut him down with extra attention.

Gabriel's production will be inconsistent because of the system he plays in, and being the most talented WR on that team, just makes sure that he'll receive more attention from opposing defenses and see the best CB from the opposing team. I still think he'll end up with a solid year, but like I said, I don't see him finishing in the top 20.
Image
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14238
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 21:32 hours
(and 44 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact