Curtains for Warner? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Curtains for Warner?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Fireball Express » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:27 pm

So does Warner have any value left or will the Cardinals live and die with Leinert's growing pains?
I'm thinking of flat out dropping Kurt in a league where QBs qualify at FLEX. Virtually all starters and QBs of value are gone (even Romo) except Gradkowski.

"How soft your fields so green, can whisper tales of Gore, Of how we calmed the tides of war. We are your Overlords!" - Zep
Fireball Express
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DrSpackle » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:38 am

I dropped Warner for Favre last week. Someone else scooped him up (ha ha!) and now I am about to drop my other QB -- Culpepper. Ugh.

The only Cardinal football I've seen this year is the Broncos v Cards preseason game. The much hyped Cutler/Leinart matchup. I must say, the Cards offense looked really good, even with Matt throwing the ball. He seemed to key in on Fitz a little more.

But that was a preseason game.
DrSpackle
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:32 am

jnormy wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:
aaawall91 wrote:And Bryant Johnson...who got 0 catches today..dissapointing I must say, Hes my big sleeper, He's the 3rd wideout in Zona, but was a 17th overall pick in 2003, only If they had a decent QB.

Guess you missed the out route Bryant ran today. It was a nicely thrown pass that hit Bryant Johnson in the hands. He looked smooth going for the ball, but somehow it bounced right off his hands. No big deal because the ball deflected and proceeded to hit him in the numbers. A slight miscue caused him to miss that chance, but the ball remained catchable, bouncing right back into his waiting hands. Unluckily, the the ball finally proceeded to bounce off his hands for a second time and fall uselessly to the turf.

I guess the defender standing about 7 yards away from him caused him to lose his concentration on that one. Or perhaps it was Warner's poorly thrown tight spiral. Everybody knows those ducks are much easier to catch. And besides Warner was playing so poorly the entire day, how was Bryant Johnson to know that he would be the recipient of an accurate pass?

But I'm sure the backup rookie QB who is likely to see the field in the coming weeks, will focus on Johnson (the slot WR behind ALL Pro WRs Fitz and Boldin) to ensure that he regains his confidence. We all know Leinart is the most NFL ready rookie QB in the draft, and he should have no trouble proceeding regularly down to his third read on any given play and getting the ball in Johnson's hands. Kudos to your sneaky sleeper pick.

Wow, that's a lot of hot air for one drop in one lousy out pattern. So the great WRs in the game have never EVER dropped passes that hit them on the hands??? I'm not saying I agree that Bryant is gonna be "all that," but that's why aaawal called him a SLEEPER pick. If everyone thought they'd be great, they wouldn't BE sleepers now would they? Give the guy a break.

#3 "sleeper" WRs dropping "easy" out routes should probably lose the "sleeper" status. Sorry if I poured the cynicism a little too thick for you. If I did a little research on the matter, I'm pretty sure I could come up with about 20 sleeper WRs I like above Johnson, not including the top50 or so WRs in the league. The guy is worthless IMO.

I just don't understand what this obsession is with NFL WR#3's in fantasy football. Is it because this guy is directly behind two superstars in the pecking order? Talent by association? It's infinitely WORSE to be behind two solid WRs than to be behind 2 mediocre ones. The Brandon Stokely's of the world are a 1 in a million shot...
---

Oh and regarding the original topic, yes Warner is done. Even if Leinhart comes in and looks like the rookie he is, the talent level would be similar to what Warner has been putting on the field the past few weeks. Bad decisions, inaccurate throws, costly turnovers... the $30 million dollar #10 pick can do that for you. I would expect Leinhart to do better simply because of the fact that younger WRs tend to lock onto their main targets much more than vets. That means Bryant Johnson is dropping less catchable balls, and Boldin and Fitz are back in 2005 target overload land.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Lunger » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:04 pm

Kensat30 wrote:I would expect Leinhart to do better simply because of the fact that younger WRs tend to lock onto their main targets much more than vets. That means Bryant Johnson is dropping less catchable balls, and Boldin and Fitz are back in 2005 target overload land.

As a Fitz owner I really hope this is what happens.
Lunger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby biju » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:09 pm

Kensat30 wrote:I just don't understand what this obsession is with NFL WR#3's in fantasy football.

Probably because guys like this didn't get drafted or were extremely late round picks. Everyone wants their late picks to be winners, or the recipient of a great opportunity if a player were to become injured.

In this case, Boldin has had some injury woes and I'm suspecting that's the cause for attention. I'm not saying it's warranted, and I'm not saying it isn't. Just that is likely what we're talking about here. I mean, nobody drafted Larry Johnson last year because he was a backup RB...it was because Priest Holmes was *likely* to get injured. Or at least that's why I drafted him...
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby JimmyChoi » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:43 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:Its time. Warner still has life if he could find a team that has a good o-line. With AZ's o-line being average-to-poor, he's too much of a liability in ball protection. AZ's season is now over, and Leinart will be the QB from here on out.

Their line is nowhere near average
JimmyChoi
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Previous

Return to Football Talk