League moaning about Colston @ WR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

League moaning about Colston @ WR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:18 pm

different strokes I guess.

I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of where he played in college etc. And it is a weird situation.

That said, I am not an advocate at all of "undoing something" after the season has started. It would be one thing, if you are in a non-yahoo league to say "he is off limits as a tight end."

But I have to agree, once you agree to play yahoo, you agree to their avaiability. Its not unethical or otherwise to play a guy when everyone if not explicitly, then tacitly agreed to use the Yahoo system. To use something that is within the rules is perfectly legit.

I wouldn't go back on it. Although, it is a unique situation in that his position was listed incorrectly IN RETORSPECT. It wasn't initially listed as wrong, in the same way seeing "Peyton Manning, WR" would be. The positions were made in good faith with the best information avaialable at the time. That they were wrong is kind of irrelevant once the season started and add/drops were made based on this information.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2843
Joined: 3 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby gablefan » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:20 pm

you really can't compare Fantasy football and Fantasy Baseball/ Basketball....
Image
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 1560
Joined: 21 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: TN

Postby RWLongy4 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:26 pm

gablefan wrote:you really can't compare Fantasy football and Fantasy Baseball/ Basketball....


Maybe not, but in any yahoo league I think people are aware that multiple position eligibilty situations do exist and if your league wants to regulate them it needs to be done before the season. This would be a non-issue if colston wasn't putting up big numbers.

If your league feels it to be that much of advantage, include it in the rules for next year and then you will never have the issue again. Live and learn.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 3118
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 24 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Miami University (OH)

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:27 pm

why not? There are some commonalities there.

I think fantasy football is unecessarily strict with this type of thing to be honest. I mean positions are a little mroe strict in football than baseball and a lot of strict than in basketball.

That said, some of these tweener guys are hard to peg, and its not a a stretch to say that if the team needed it Colston would switch to TE. The problem is this sort of thing is uncommon. I think we would see more of this type of thing if IDP was more prominent.

its obvious not everyone is going to agree, but ultimately, I think two points make this moot for this year:

Everyone agreed to play Yahoo, and what Yahoo decides is what Yahoo decides. Within that context, you are free to play your players where the system will allow you.

The number one rule with fantasy (any sport) is you should ALMOSt never change anything about scoring, player roster size, avaiability or anything that affects the player universe after the fact, unless a setting was entered mistakenly, and a rule that conflicts against that setting awas agreed to previously. I also think totally unanimous votes could be grounds for change, but I bet on this one, you wouldn't get a unanimous vote...

It kind of sucks that there is atypicla positioning, but so what? Its not like most leagues accurately reflect the state of real football anyway. I haven't hearcd of a three back team, running backs don't go before peyton manning, etc., in real football. So if we are going to appeal to some real-world reality now, when so much of normal fantasy football flies in the face of reality, seems a bit off to me now...
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2843
Joined: 3 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby gablefan » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:39 pm

RWLongy4 wrote:
gablefan wrote:you really can't compare Fantasy football and Fantasy Baseball/ Basketball....


Maybe not, but in any yahoo league I think people are aware that multiple position eligibilty situations do exist and if your league wants to regulate them it needs to be done before the season. Iactually didn't but i had never played Yahoo before so now I know. This would be a non-issue if colston wasn't putting up big numbers. 100% correct!

If your league feels it to be that much of advantage, include it in the rules for next year and then you will never have the issue again. Live and learn.


I am commish in two leagues and had it dealt with before it started. The other league I am in, I have Colston and told the Commish to put him at WR. Done. It is more on the others in the league for letting it get to this point, in my opinion.
Image
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 1560
Joined: 21 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: TN

Postby RWLongy4 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:42 pm

gablefan wrote:
RWLongy4 wrote:
gablefan wrote:you really can't compare Fantasy football and Fantasy Baseball/ Basketball....


Maybe not, but in any yahoo league I think people are aware that multiple position eligibilty situations do exist and if your league wants to regulate them it needs to be done before the season. Iactually didn't but i had never played Yahoo before so now I know. This would be a non-issue if colston wasn't putting up big numbers. 100% correct!

If your league feels it to be that much of advantage, include it in the rules for next year and then you will never have the issue again. Live and learn.


I am commish in two leagues and had it dealt with before it started. The other league I am in, I have Colston and told the Commish to put him at WR. Done. It is more on the others in the league for letting it get to this point, in my opinion.


I agree completely, it should have been dealt with beforehand, if it wasn't then no one has any right to complain. As i said no one woudl have any complaints if he wasn't putting up big numbers.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 3118
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 24 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Miami University (OH)

Postby gablefan » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:43 pm

eaglesrule wrote:why not? There are some commonalities there.

I think fantasy football is unecessarily strict with this type of thing to be honest. I mean positions are a little mroe strict in football than baseball and a lot of strict than in basketball.

That said, some of these tweener guys are hard to peg, and its not a a stretch to say that if the team needed it Colston would switch to TE. The problem is this sort of thing is uncommon. I think we would see more of this type of thing if IDP was more prominent.

its obvious not everyone is going to agree, but ultimately, I think two points make this moot for this year:

Everyone agreed to play Yahoo, and what Yahoo decides is what Yahoo decides. Within that context, you are free to play your players where the system will allow you.

The number one rule with fantasy (any sport) is you should ALMOSt never change anything about scoring, player roster size, avaiability or anything that affects the player universe after the fact, unless a setting was entered mistakenly, and a rule that conflicts against that setting awas agreed to previously. I also think totally unanimous votes could be grounds for change, but I bet on this one, you wouldn't get a unanimous vote...

It kind of sucks that there is atypicla positioning, but so what? Its not like most leagues accurately reflect the state of real football anyway. I haven't hearcd of a three back team, running backs don't go before peyton manning, etc., in real football. So if we are going to appeal to some real-world reality now, when so much of normal fantasy football flies in the face of reality, seems a bit off to me now...


The reason I say you can't compare them is simple, Football has only so many games per year where as baseball and basketball the # are huge. Each week that someone is able to take advantage of a blatant error by the league, it more advantageous to him. It should have been dealt with before now. Now it will be hard to get something done.
Image
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 1560
Joined: 21 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: TN

Postby smackthefirst » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:06 pm

I just had to pop back in and apologize for my error. I never knew of Colston in college, only from scouting reports that had him as a TE. Thank you to Gables for correcting me on that.

However, I do agree that once something is set, it should not be changed after the season. I personally drafted Colston after week 1 of the preseason in a deep league (20 round draft). I can see the argument against those who picked him up after the switch had been made, but only to a point. Everyone in the league had the same chance to make the move.

This is just another reason why I think TE's and WR's should be lumped together now in fantasy leagues. More and more TE's are lining up as WR's and this line will continue to be blurred more and more as time goes on.
Image
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 2646
Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: MD

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:09 pm

yea it was a blatant error, but one made in good faith prior to the start of games.

I think what some people are suggesting is ex post facto making a change, which really flies in the face of basic fairness.

I could see if the TE designation was blatantly wrong going into the season. But it wasn't "wrong" in the traditional sense of the word, i.e. it wasn't an error yahoo made through carelessness or something. At the time, he was going to be the TE, no?
I think its more unfair to make a player not use Colston, as now too many decisions have been made, you can't undo the chain of events, especially for something that ultimately wasn't the player's fault.

i think this is one where there is some grounds for disagreement, but if it were any other situation, people wouldn't contemplate changing something that was both in the past, and correct at the time.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2843
Joined: 3 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby skinsfan » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:13 pm

It's not as though he shifts between the two positions. He's a WR and won't play anywhere else, and this will probably hold true for his whole career. I agree on the similar RB/K point. It's a nice loophole, but it should not be exploited. And, to the guy who said that nobody would be dumb enough to start Colston at WR, he's the 4th ranked WR right now by points in my league, trailing only AJohnson, SMoss, and Holt with 49 points.

I wouldn't play him at TE in my league. I thought about the issue for a bit, and it just spoils the game if we play a guy at a fake position. Reggie Bush lines up at WR regularly, but he isn't eligible there. Tomlinson's thrown a couple TDs in his career, but he's not a QB. Both of these players have better cases that Colston, in my opinion, and to play him at TE is downright silly.
Skins fan through thick and thin.
skinsfan
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2228
Joined: 6 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: DC

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 17:52 hours
(and 45 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact