Peyton Manning, bad for FFB Playoffs? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Peyton Manning, bad for FFB Playoffs?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Peyton Manning, bad for FFB Playoffs?

Postby MadHookUp » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:45 am

I think this is where this should be posted. I worked out a trade with a team that would send me Peyton Manning. Some people told me to stay away from him since he could be benched in weeks 16 and 17. Which would make trading for him pointless. The guy who is trading me Peyton claims that the Colts got flamed last season for not playing Peyton those 2 weeks to keep up the momentum.

So for all the people out there, do you want Peyton on your roster if you expect to be in the finals?
MadHookUp Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Humpback » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:52 am

I wouldn't be too worried about it. First of all, you have to get to the finals, and Peyton will certainly help you do that. Not sure about your league, but the final in my league is week 16 of the NFL season, so the chances of the Colts being so far ahead for home field that they'd sit him in the 2nd to last game aren't that good, IMO. Have a guys with a decent match-up in weeks 16-17 just in case, but I'd get Peyton if you can.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby MadHookUp » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:56 am

Mine has the finals in week 17. I am REALLY confident I will make the playoffs. I would just hate to see Peyton sitting, and it seems like there is a good chance he will.
MadHookUp Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby BigMusky » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:12 pm

I dont see Indy locking everything up as early as last year and you should be okay....but definitely have a backup plan for week 17 just in case. Before the trade deadline, make sure you have another competant QB with a good matchup that weekend.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FatFoot » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:18 pm

MadHookUp wrote:Mine has the finals in week 17. I am REALLY confident I will make the playoffs. I would just hate to see Peyton sitting, and it seems like there is a good chance he will.

That is awful. You can put in tons of work, kick butt all season, and run the table, and then have many of your studs out in week 17, resting for the playoffs. That is a BAD situation. Even if you like the strategy involved in planning for that, you have to deal with a ton of luck and guesswork in your late season trades, to try and land players from teams on the bubble. Not fun. Especially if it's a money league.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby The Lung » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:18 pm

Convince the commish of your league to move the finals to week 16 next year for exactly this reason - teams resting starters in week 17 after a playoff berth is clinched.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Twisted Sister » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:00 pm

The Colts learned that field position is everything in the playoffs... it's hard to imagine them locking in homefield (throughout) by week 15...

that defense looks aweful... everyone is scoring on them.

I'm assuming the trade deadline is around week 8-10...

if they're far ahead of everyone else for homefield, that's when you deal him for upgrades elsewhere. Until then, enjoy the best QB in FF ;-D
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk