LSU @ UF - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

LSU @ UF

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Luca Brasi » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:20 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:What they are going to say is "sorry we lost last week to an unranked team and went down in the rankings thus diminishing the value of Fl beating us."

I somewhat agree with Cowboy. #2 is Florida's to lose (since chances are extremely slim that ANY team will knock of OSU at #1). One of two things can happen next week:
1-Florida beats Auburn, but even with Auburn's "value" dropping, they can possibly still hold onto #2.
2- Florida loses to Auburn. This would be really bad because this means nore more SEC team in the top 5, period.

I like Florida a lot this year, but something tells me we'll be seeing USC playing the winner of OSU/UM in Glendale. Besides...sugar bowl tickets are cheaper anyways!

"Why is a Fighting Illini considered politically incorrect, but not a Fighting Irish?"
Luca Brasi
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:30 pm

Even if Florida wins out (still a long ways to go) I could see USC jumping them if Cal/Oregon/ND keep winning, and looking at their schedules besides USC I think that's nearly a given at this point. This is assuming of course that USC wins out themselves, which doesn't look nearly as automatic as it once did. Though they do benifit from all the tough teams they have to play having awful defenses, which should play to their strength.

I think USC would really struggle against a top D, but they can win some shootouts.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby ShoelessJoe » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:26 am

Let's relax on the FL being #2 talk. The first BCS doesn't come out until Sunday and Florida is only #2 in one poll, the AP poll which isn't taken into account in the BCS. In the two polls that matter for the BCS, the Coaches' and the Harris, the Gators are #3 behind USC.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:20 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:Let's relax on the FL being #2 talk. The first BCS doesn't come out until Sunday and Florida is only #2 in one poll, the AP poll which isn't taken into account in the BCS. In the two polls that matter for the BCS, the Coaches' and the Harris, the Gators are #3 behind USC.

We smoke USC in all the computer polls, but we are behind them in the two man polls, which accounts for the majority of the votes. I think it will be close.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ShoelessJoe » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:32 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:Let's relax on the FL being #2 talk. The first BCS doesn't come out until Sunday and Florida is only #2 in one poll, the AP poll which isn't taken into account in the BCS. In the two polls that matter for the BCS, the Coaches' and the Harris, the Gators are #3 behind USC.

We smoke USC in all the computer polls, but we are behind them in the two man polls, which accounts for the majority of the votes. I think it will be close.

I don't think so. If the BCS were to come out today, it would have USC at #2, and UF at #3. ESPN used all of the information out (which is everything taken into account for the BCS save one computer poll) and it went OSU, USC, FL, Mich, Louis. The computation they did actually had USC closer to OSU than they are to UF. Here's the standings if they were to come out today. Keep in mind this could be changed depending on UF's game @ Auburn this weekend as the first BCS standings come out Sunday.

Team BCS avg.
1. Ohio State .986
2. USC .949
3. Florida .909
4. Michigan .880
5. Louisville .719
6. Notre Dame .703
7. Tennessee .696
8. Texas .694
9. West Virginia .692
10. Auburn .614
11. California .584
12. Clemson .486
13. Iowa .461
14. Boise State .398
15. Arkansas .358

Another note to make, besides WVU being way down at #9, is Boise at #14. They likely won't play a ranked team this year and all they have to do is finish #12 to lock up that BCS game.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:30 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

I don't think so. If the BCS were to come out today, it would have USC at #2, and UF at #3. ESPN used all of the information out (which is everything taken into account for the BCS save one computer poll) and it went OSU, USC, FL, Mich, Louis. The computation they did actually had USC closer to OSU than they are to UF. Here's the standings if they were to come out today. Keep in mind this could be changed depending on UF's game @ Auburn this weekend as the first BCS standings come out Sunday.

Team BCS avg.
1. Ohio State .986
2. USC .949
3. Florida .909
4. Michigan .880
5. Louisville .719
6. Notre Dame .703
7. Tennessee .696
8. Texas .694
9. West Virginia .692
10. Auburn .614
11. California .584
12. Clemson .486
13. Iowa .461
14. Boise State .398
15. Arkansas .358

Another note to make, besides WVU being way down at #9, is Boise at #14. They likely won't play a ranked team this year and all they have to do is finish #12 to lock up that BCS game.

I can't believe how much the writers and people are on USC. They have not beat a quality opponent. Say what you will about Arkansas beating Auburn, AUB was looking ahead and ARK got lucky. Other than that WASH could have beaten them if they would have had 30 more seconds and thye played close games against some other lesser teams. FL beat Tenn in Tenn where CAL got waxed. We beat Alabama who also beat that ARK team, and we dominated LSU, who i think is overrated, but people are very high on.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:51 pm

How the heck does Boise St calculate out that high?
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ShoelessJoe » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:36 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:I can't believe how much the writers and people are on USC. They have not beat a quality opponent. Say what you will about Arkansas beating Auburn, AUB was looking ahead and ARK got lucky. Other than that WASH could have beaten them if they would have had 30 more seconds and thye played close games against some other lesser teams. FL beat Tenn in Tenn where CAL got waxed. We beat Alabama who also beat that ARK team, and we dominated LSU, who i think is overrated, but people are very high on.

I mean, I'm the biggest UF supporter you'll find but I find it tough to put UF above USC based on common opponents. USC pounded Arkansas (granted they had a different starting QB/RB). And, contrary to your post deerayfan, Arkansas beat Alabama. Remember, the poor kicker from Alabama missed all of those FGs and Arkansas won in Double OT.

The reason that I think UF is the better team than USC is not exemplified by common opponents, yet the way that they have performed against their competition. You look at USC who has gone on the road and struggled against Wash St (in front of 36,000 fans) and Washington. Florida on the other hand went on the road and while it was a close game like USC's road games, the Gators beat a very good UT team in front of 100,000+. That win only looks better with the pounding UT put on UGA last week and the efficiency with which UT's offense performed. Yet another reason I like UF over USC is their statement win over LSU last week. I still feel like LSU is a top 10 team nationally with one heckuva defense and QB. That UF win I think was a statement win. On the other hand you have USC who has beaten Nebraska and basically no one else of any substance. Washington can be argued as a decent team but they mirror Alabama on Florida's schedule moreso than the UT and LSU's that UF has already beaten.

HskrPwr13 wrote:

I'm not sure to be honest. It really irritates me that this team is going to go undefeated on their patsy schedule and make a BCS bowl. They will most likely play 0 ranked teams all season. They only play one Big Six opponent in Oregon St, a team that they've already beaten at home, handily I might add. The only even decent team left on their schedule is San Jose State. San Jose St is actually the only team on their remaining schedule that even has a winning record right now, that's how weak their schedule is. Beyond that, they've only played two teams with winning records: Utah and Hawaii. It kind of gets to me that you can have teams like LSU and Cal go out and play a tough schedule, playing a tough conference and out of conference schedule and then have them miss out on a BCS bowl because Boise gets in after an undefeated year playing complete patsies week after week.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:48 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:I can't believe how much the writers and people are on USC. They have not beat a quality opponent. Say what you will about Arkansas beating Auburn, AUB was looking ahead and ARK got lucky. Other than that WASH could have beaten them if they would have had 30 more seconds and thye played close games against some other lesser teams. FL beat Tenn in Tenn where CAL got waxed. We beat Alabama who also beat that ARK team, and we dominated LSU, who i think is overrated, but people are very high on.

I mean, I'm the biggest UF supporter you'll find but I find it tough to put UF above USC based on common opponents. USC pounded Arkansas (granted they had a different starting QB/RB). And, contrary to your post deerayfan, Arkansas beat Alabama. Remember, the poor kicker from Alabama missed all of those FGs and Arkansas won in Double OT.

The reason that I think UF is the better team than USC is not exemplified by common opponents, yet the way that they have performed against their competition. You look at USC who has gone on the road and struggled against Wash St (in front of 36,000 fans) and Washington. Florida on the other hand went on the road and while it was a close game like USC's road games, the Gators beat a very good UT team in front of 100,000+. That win only looks better with the pounding UT put on UGA last week and the efficiency with which UT's offense performed. Yet another reason I like UF over USC is their statement win over LSU last week. I still feel like LSU is a top 10 team nationally with one heckuva defense and QB. That UF win I think was a statement win. On the other hand you have USC who has beaten Nebraska and basically no one else of any substance. Washington can be argued as a decent team but they mirror Alabama on Florida's schedule moreso than the UT and LSU's that UF has already beaten.

HskrPwr13 wrote:

I'm not sure to be honest. It really irritates me that this team is going to go undefeated on their patsy schedule and make a BCS bowl. They will most likely play 0 ranked teams all season. They only play one Big Six opponent in Oregon St, a team that they've already beaten at home, handily I might add. The only even decent team left on their schedule is San Jose State. San Jose St is actually the only team on their remaining schedule that even has a winning record right now, that's how weak their schedule is. Beyond that, they've only played two teams with winning records: Utah and Hawaii. It kind of gets to me that you can have teams like LSU and Cal go out and play a tough schedule, playing a tough conference and out of conference schedule and then have them miss out on a BCS bowl because Boise gets in after an undefeated year playing complete patsies week after week.

DUH, totally forgot about that ALA Kicker :*) Thats why the other Kicker, kicked against us. My main point was basicly what you pointed to in the second part of your argument. The struggles of USC v. UF's play against its opponents. I guess we will se what happens IF we beat AUB and the BCS rankings come out. Auburn is going to be really fired up to beat us after that embarrassing loss. They are a very dangerous team and we usual lose to one SEC west team away from the Swamp, and this is the only SEC West team left we play away
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to College Football