Tuberville Says Playoffs only way SEC is in NC - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Tuberville Says Playoffs only way SEC is in NC

Moderator: Football Moderators

Tuberville Says Playoffs only way SEC is in NC

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:30 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2612789

very interesting look at iot. I kind of agree. I know people like the system now, Bagel :-b , but i see the point, the SEC just beats the crap out of each other and noone takes it into account.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:39 pm

I prefer a playoff to the Bowl System we have now. It's just a joke the way it is. :-t
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:01 pm

knapplc wrote:I prefer a playoff to the Bowl System we have now. It's just a joke the way it is. :-t

I totally agree, and this new extra game makes it an even bigger joke
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ShoelessJoe » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:37 pm

I'm generally against the playoff system because I love the bowls but I wouldn't mind a plus one system. Play all the bowls. Then the top 4 BCS teams (based on standings, not based on conferences or conference championships or any other BS) play. 1v4 and 2v3. Then the two winners play one week later. You still have your month to prepare for the Jan 1 bowl, you just play another game Jan 8 if you win. (There would be no consolation game)
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:13 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:I'm generally against the playoff system because I love the bowls but I wouldn't mind a plus one system. Play all the bowls. Then the top 4 BCS teams (based on standings, not based on conferences or conference championships or any other BS) play. 1v4 and 2v3. Then the two winners play one week later. You still have your month to prepare for the Jan 1 bowl, you just play another game Jan 8 if you win. (There would be no consolation game)

I would agree with that
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Sandrock » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:41 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
knapplc wrote:I prefer a playoff to the Bowl System we have now. It's just a joke the way it is. :-t

For the rest of the country, the new extra game is a joke. Give props to the Pac-10, who made their league schedules into a true round robin format. While most of the other schools just added another D 1-AA game.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:17 pm

Sandrock wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

For the rest of the country, the new extra game is a joke. Give props to the Pac-10, who made their league schedules into a true round robin format. While most of the other schools just added another D 1-AA game.

I do give props for them doing that, but you also have to remember that schedules are made years in advance, and right now it is hard to get schools in sync with the extra game. FL will take on Miami in 08.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby HskrPwr13 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:12 pm

As far as the scheduling thing goes, fans like to bash teams (of course not the one they root for) for scheduling a patsy for the 4th non-conference game. Keep in mind the reason for adding the 4th game. It had nothing to do with getting an easy victory/having a glorified scrimmage. It was brought in specifically to get an extra home game. If they try to schedule a "good" team, that team would want a home/home. That defeats the purpose of the 4th game. I do like what the Pac-10 did with it.

I like the playoff, but disagree with Tubberville's assessment about why. If youre one of the two best teams in the country, you should win all your games, maybe lose one. Although I agree that a handfull of teams dont have much of a conference to have to navigate through, its not the vast majority. For Tubberville to intimate that if Auburn were in another conference, he wouldnt have such a hard time getting to the title game is assisine. He's crazy if he thinks that if AU were in the Big10 or Big12, as examples, that he would have his team just waltzing to title games. I got no problem saying that the top tier of the SEC is larger than the top tiers of other conferences, but it hasnt always been this way (see top tier SEC v top tier of Big12 in the 80s and 90s), and law of averages says it wont stay this way.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:11 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:As far as the scheduling thing goes, fans like to bash teams (of course not the one they root for) for scheduling a patsy for the 4th non-conference game. Keep in mind the reason for adding the 4th game. It had nothing to do with getting an easy victory/having a glorified scrimmage. It was brought in specifically to get an extra home game. If they try to schedule a "good" team, that team would want a home/home. That defeats the purpose of the 4th game. I do like what the Pac-10 did with it.

I like the playoff, but disagree with Tubberville's assessment about why. If youre one of the two best teams in the country, you should win all your games, maybe lose one. Although I agree that a handfull of teams dont have much of a conference to have to navigate through, its not the vast majority. For Tubberville to intimate that if Auburn were in another conference, he wouldnt have such a hard time getting to the title game is assisine. He's crazy if he thinks that if AU were in the Big10 or Big12, as examples, that he would have his team just waltzing to title games. I got no problem saying that the top tier of the SEC is larger than the top tiers of other conferences, but it hasnt always been this way (see top tier SEC v top tier of Big12 in the 80s and 90s), and law of averages says it wont stay this way.

I do agree that Tuberville should not have made it seem like AU could watlzt through any other division, but agree if u are one of the top 2 teams in the country you may have a loss. Mich and OSU will probably both be undeafeted when they play each other, say they are 1 and 2 respectively, yet one of them wins by a point, should WVU or another team jump them? Thats hard. The top tiers of the Big 10/12 , SEC all have legitimate teams up there that have to play each other. I just think it is dumb that one loss basically elimnates you.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:14 pm

The way I see it is you play in a strong conference like the SEC, Pac 10, or Big 10 who has 3+ teams in the top 20 then you got to deal with the consequences. I agree it does suck if you are a top team and have to play another higher ranked team like Big 10 Michigan vs OSU or Auburn, LSU, Tenn, Fl, or Georgia but they are in your division so you have to. How else would you know if you are better?

I am a fan of the playoff system and like the idea of letting the top bowls determine who makes the playoffs. That would be awesome.

In my Fantasy football league we have 8 teams with 2 divisions. In my division I am 6-2 (we play 2 games each wk) along with 2 others who are also 6-2. Last place in my division is 4-4. All 3 in first place have over 200 more total points than the best in the other division. In the other division the top team is 4-4 then 3-5, 2-6, and last is 1-7. We split the season into two 7 week halves and take 1 team from each division to the playoffs each half. So 1 of the best teams in our league won't make the playoffs and 2 terrible teams from division 2 will. Sucks but you take what you get.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Next

Return to College Football