Is there a guy in your league who's just better than you? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is there a guy in your league who's just better than you?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby lmcjaho » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:29 am

ttwarrior1 wrote:no offense, but more losers on this site then winners. I see terrible advice given to everyone here

If you have nothing useful to say (and scanning over your last 50 or so posts that definitely seems to be the case for you) you should say nothing at all, thanks.
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Is there a guy in your league who's just better than you

Postby daullaz » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:35 am

hakeem34 wrote:This guy, he's making me crazy. He's always a week ahead of me on the waiver wire. His draft always looks better than mine. He plays the right matchups and never leaves points on the bench... Of course he's the reigning champion.

Anyone else have that one opponent who is, like, the Peyton Manning of your league?

Nope. I'm that guy.

;-7
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Smee » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:23 am

ttwarrior1 wrote:no offense, but more losers on this site then winners. I see terrible advice given to everyone here

This is a community site, you get out of it what you put into it. That's how these things work.

I've had quite the opposite experience as I've been smoking my friends in every fantasy sport since I've started coming aroun here.
Smee
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:32 am

I'm the guy in question in two of my "usual" money leagues but there's one with very odd (and TD heavy) scoring that I just can't seem to break. I come out of the draft feeling like I have a solid team only to find I'm 0-3 after three weeks and spend the rest of the year playing catchup.

Two things that don't help me:

1. I've grown extremely accustomed to taking a vacation in September, so when most people are trolling the WW I'm sitting on a beach with a beer in hand. Doesn't bode well for WW moves.

2. I was burned very badly about 4 years ago by dropping one of my players for a "player of the week" type. He struggled the rest of the season and my dropped player became top 10. Therefore I give my players a little more time than I should to succeed and may miss out on hot players. Good example: I'm still waiting for Joe Horn to bust out even though I have a feeling he just won't be anything more than a #3 WR on my team even though he was drafted as a #2.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby BigMusky » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:25 am

I think the key to being good on the waiver wire is keep a short, but strong bench so you have room to play with. If you draft a bunch of guys that might pan out...it handcuffs your ability to make waiver wire moves.

second for drafting....do not be afraid to overreach for a guy. Just because there is someone sitting there that is the consensus pick that you just have a bad feeling about, but there is someone else down the line that your really want...that you know wont get back to you on your next pick, take him. The real talent of drafting is having a good idea of when that player will comeback to you or when you need to pull the trigger now. Mock drafts are the only way to learn who the general public is hot on.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby TheDeepBomb » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:10 am

The race to decide who is king in my money league is this week. While he is 2-2 and I am 4-0, his team is superior to everyone's except probably mine. He's predicted a 6 point favorite, starters for this week:

His team:
*B. Johnson, Hasselbeck, Frye
*C. Taylor, *T. Barber, Westbrook, K. Jones, M. Jones-Drew
*S. Smith, *T. Glenn, H. Ward, L. Coles, D. Driver
*T. Gonzales
*Gould
*IND DEF

Mine:
*McNabb, Leftwich
*Tomlinson, *Jordan, R. Brown, W. McGahee, M. Morris
*Sa. Moss, *Roy Williams, C. Johnson, L. Evans, D. Mason
*Dal. Clark
*Wilkins
*SD DEF, DEN DEF

Should be a good game!
2009 Winner - 12 Man Yahoo PPR League "We will mock you" - MVP - Phillip Rivers
2009 Winner - 12 Man Yahoo PPR League "Do dirties" - MVP - Joe Flacco
2009 Runner-Up - 14 Man Yahoo PPR League "Posse 4 Life" - MVP - MJD
TheDeepBomb
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:41 am

Feel free to read elsewhere, man.... :-t

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:30 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:

Feel free to read elsewhere, man.... :-t

There - see, there is good advice given here!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby knapplc » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:34 pm

I've been in a fantasy league for the better part of the last 14 years. There's a guy in this league who just seems to beat me over and over. In fact, he beats me in just about every fantasy game we play, including a bunch of the free golf & baseball and NASCAR games on ESPN. I swear to you it's just luck - he'll beat me when I have CLEARLY better teams, both statistically and in matchups. It's frustrating as all hell, because I'm pretty good at this whole fantasy stuff.

The funny part of this story - he doesn't really care much for fantasy football; his real passion is fantasy baseball. I joined his fantasy baseball league a couple of years ago and I started beating him there. I beat him when I had clearly inferior teams and I smoked his butt when I had superior teams. He's been in this particular league for over a decade (maybe even 15 years?) and he's only one the title one time. I got in the league two years ago and I won it this year (with mad props to the Baseball Cafe and Omaha Red Sox who gave me tons of help).

So, since I joined that baseball league guess what? I've started turning things around against this guy. I'm beating him in most every league we're in together, and I trounced him in our week one game in our $$$ football league. It looks like I've broken the curse.

Your turn will come with your "nemesis." Just hang around the Cafe and you'll get the 411 to take over the winning side of your "battle."

;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby matmat » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:41 pm

yeah. you're right. half of us can't spell or form a coherent sentence. a lot of us confuse "then" with "than" and we use no punctuation.
In addition, our ideas are totally flawed, our advice is unsavory and there is no reason for winners and experts such as yourself to poke your much too long a nose in here only to gloat at our incompetence and worthlessness. I suggest you go find some paysite someplace so that you get fantastic, timely advice.
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk