Ultimate fantasy team! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ultimate fantasy team!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kilroy » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:28 am

dgan wrote:Did any of those guys ever approach 30 total TDs? Different era -- I'm not sure they would get you the fantasy points that today's RBs do against these porous defenses. Remember, Faulk and Holmes were breaking statistical records even though they were not, in my estimation, near the calibre of Brown, Dickerson, Sanders, or Simpson.

You could ask the question, what guys dominated their era? That would put guys like Brown into this fantasy argument.

257 carries, 1527 yards, 5.9 YPC, 17 TDs (12 Game Season)

291 carries 1863 yards 6.4 YPC 12 TDs (14 Game Season)

I don't care what "era" you're talking about. 6.4 YPC gets you in any "ultimate" argument, fantasy or no. Or you could add another quarter's worth of numbers at the top and be over 2,000 Rushing Yards with 23 TDs over 16 games. Jim Brown is the greatest football player ever, and if I've got an "Ultimate" fantasy team he's on it.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pete123444 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:34 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:
dgan wrote:Did any of those guys ever approach 30 total TDs? Different era -- I'm not sure they would get you the fantasy points that today's RBs do against these porous defenses. Remember, Faulk and Holmes were breaking statistical records even though they were not, in my estimation, near the calibre of Brown, Dickerson, Sanders, or Simpson.

You could ask the question, what guys dominated their era? That would put guys like Brown into this fantasy argument.

I don't care what "era" you're talking about. 6.4 YPC gets you in any "ultimate" argument, fantasy or no. Or you could add another quarter's woth of numbers at the top and be over 2,000 Rushing Yards with 23 TDs over 16 games. Jim Brown is the greatest football player ever, and if I've got an "Ultimate" fantasy team he's on it.

NO doubt Jim BRown was the greatest RB. But those stats aren't even close to the greatest single season fantasy scoring numbers. I'm only in one league this year where that 6.4 YPC would mean anything and I'm willing to wager that 99% of the leagues don't give you any points for YPC. Being the greatest player at a position of all time wouldn't necessarily mean the greatest fantasy producer for a season for that position. If return yards were included G Sayers would probably be #1.

Thanks GP!!
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Crippler » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:56 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:

I don't care what "era" you're talking about. 6.4 YPC gets you in any "ultimate" argument, fantasy or no. Or you could add another quarter's worth of numbers at the top and be over 2,000 Rushing Yards with 23 TDs over 16 games. Jim Brown is the greatest football player ever, and if I've got an "Ultimate" fantasy team he's on it.

YPC? Who cares about YPC in fantasy football? We're talking fantasy points here, and 12 & 17 TDs per season dont even come close to cutting it as one of the best all time (In fantasy)

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby V-unit » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:57 am

Montanna
E.Smith
M.Faulk
J.Rice
R.Moss
Sharp
Elam
Ravens D
Starting Linup for 2007
QB:M.Schaub*,J.Cambell,J.Dellhomme(IR)
RB:L.Tomlinson*,Rudi Johnson*,E.Grahm,C.WIlliams(IR)
WR:S.Smith*,Roy Williams*,G.Jennings,N.Burleson
WR/TE:A.Gates*,D.Clark
K:S.M.Grokaswkie NE K*,S.Grahm
D:SD*,Tennesee
V-unit
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby PurpleHaze » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:29 pm

We are talking their best statistical years!
(And factoring modern changes, with the talent)

QB:Dan Marino (No Question)
RB:Jim Brown (Highest YPC...Imagine with todays O-Lines.WOW)
RB:Barry Sanders (When healthy..maybe the Best)
WR:Jerry Rice (No question)
WR:Marvin Harrison (Numbers are crazy good over the years)
WR:Don Hutson (GB from '38-'44 Lead every year in Receiving Yards/Rec/TD's..and in '42 had 74 rec for 1,211 yards and 17 TD's in a time when the forward pass wasn't used very much..Imagine what he could do now..WOW)
FLEX:OJ.Simpson/Walter Payton (9 rushing titles between them..couldn't decide on one)
TE:Kellen Winslow (OK..Maybe a little bias!)
DEF:'85 Bears
Last edited by PurpleHaze on Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sig courtesy of chargersfan36!
PurpleHaze
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby biju » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:42 pm

Crippler wrote:
Kilroy1872 wrote:

YPC? Who cares about YPC in fantasy football? We're talking fantasy points here, and 12 & 17 TDs per season dont even come close to cutting it as one of the best all time (In fantasy)

I'm not picking on you Crippler, just chose yours to quote.

----

I'm wondering if people are thinking about this in the context of how many games these guys played. You do know that very, very few RBs actually get over 15 TDs in a year. And I'm pretty sure everyone knows that now there are 16 games played each year.

Jim Brown's average breakdown per game for those two seasons were 127 yards and 1.5 TDs per game and 133 plus just under a TD respectively.

Those numbers might not be the best of all time but there are very, very few people who have done better.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby PurpleHaze » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:26 pm

I really liked this topic, but looks like I'm a minority...

Anyone else? :-?
PurpleHaze
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby deacon » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:02 pm

I think too many focused on 'real' football production and not 'fantasy' production.

Fantasy wise Emmit Smith, Shaun Alexander, Priest Holmes and Mashall Fauld are all better backs than Jim Brown.

Jim Brown is still the greatest RB in NFL history (only because Gayle Sayers got injured in his 4th year though ;-) )
Bacon is the greatest meat of all!
deacon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby PurpleHaze » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:20 pm

deacon wrote:I think too many focused on 'real' football production and not 'fantasy' production.

Fantasy wise Emmit Smith, Shaun Alexander, Priest Holmes and Mashall Fauld are all better backs than Jim Brown.

Jim Brown is still the greatest RB in NFL history (only because Gayle Sayers got injured in his 4th year though ;-) )

That is CRAZY!!! 8-o

You have to take into consideration JB only played 12 games a year, and didn't have the training, nor technology to enhance ones game like they do today!

Jim Brown today would be better then LJ the second half of last season...
BET THAT ;-D
PurpleHaze
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Crippler » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:51 pm

You can say that Brown would put up better numbers with today's better technology and more games per year, but what if you look at it the other way around? How well would Jim Brown do against the jakked up incredible athletes that we see today on defense? How many defenders in his time could come close to comparing to players like Urlacher, Ray Lewis, etc? Defensive players are stronger, faster, and smarter today than they ever were in Brown's time. It's too hard to compare players from different eras.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)