Are people overreacting to Fitz and Boldin? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Are people overreacting to Fitz and Boldin?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Are people overreacting to Fitz and Boldin?

Postby mad benjamin » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:56 pm

There is a mad scramble for people to unload Fitz and most certainly Boldin (as a Boldin owner, I'm doing the same), but the more I think about it, the more I'm not sure I'm not just jumping the gun a tad.

Let's face it, Warner hadn't been exactly lighting the world on fire when he had the job and now Leinart is taking over. It is expected he will struggle, at least at first, but that may also put him in more situations where he has to play from behind.

Where do you see Boldin/Fitz's value falling? How big a hit do you think it will take? And do you think there is a lot of overreacting to the QB switch?

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=279201
mad benjamin
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mysticphysh » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:38 pm

I dont think their value will fall off too much. Not enough to dump them anyways.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mattb47 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:04 pm

Yea, all that happens is that they become sort of question marks for this week since it's his first start. They should both still be able to produce, so I wouldn't be too worried. No one really knows what to expect this week though, so there is just a lot of unkown out there right now.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby matmat » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:35 pm

just don't expect too much this weekend against one of the stingiest pass defences out there.
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Suicide_Kings » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:22 pm

Yup, hold off on the panic button and take a look at the schedule further down the road...the first number represent the "week X".

5 Sun. Oct 8 Chiefs
6 Mon. Oct 16 Bears
7 Sun. Oct 22 @ Raiders
8 Sun. Oct 29 @ Packers
10 Sun. Nov 12 Cowboys
11 Sun. Nov 19 Lions
12 Sun. Nov 26 @ Vikings
13 Sun. Dec 3 @ Rams
14 Sun. Dec 10 Seahawks
15 Sun. Dec 17 Broncos

I think this looks like a pretty favorable schedule and Matt will need all of the help he can get.
Suicide_Kings
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby bobbing_headz » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:26 pm

I wouldn't say it warrants unloading them but I would definately taper my expectation. There's no way they can produce when Leinart is making his first few career starts. Maybe is Warner comes back or Leinart gets a couple games experience.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby RJ24VC15 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:45 pm

I benched Boldin this week in favor of Antonio Bryant. I think he belongs on the bench this week, but no way do you make a trade. Leinart is not just in there for the future, Warner has sucked since week 1 and they expect leinart to play better.
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer

Postby Kensat30 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:55 am

I'm really struggling to keep Fitzgerald in my lineup ahead of Braylon Edwards. Edwards owns Gamble, but then again Warner was pretty damn horrible... Man, I just gotta go with Fitz this week and see what happens, although I am expecting the worst.

Fitzgerald - 3/55/0
Braylon 7/156/2

:-o
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby dgan » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:07 am

I guess my take on it is this: didn't you expect this day when you drafted them? It seemed quite obvious that either injury or Leinart would be cause to expect Warner to play less than half the season. I think you should have had a plan in place from the beginning as to how you were going to treat this situation.

I think if Leinart struggles mightily, thus hurting Boldin/Fitzgerald stats, you may see Warner back in a starter role. They're not going to get Leinart killed in the spirit of experience. If Leinart does an adequate job, then Boldin/Fitz shouldn't see a huge decline in their numbers anyway.

I certainly wouldn't sell them at a discount. If you can unload them for anywhere near their preseason value, then I would do that in a heartbeat. But I think at this point, the trade offers you get are going to be under the assumption they are no longer top 20 prospects. And I wouldn't sell them that cheap.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby mad benjamin » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:54 am

dgan wrote:I guess my take on it is this: didn't you expect this day when you drafted them?

Yes I did. My plan was drafting Holt before Boldin. Given the fact that Boldin has had 2 100 catch seasons in the past 3 coupled with the fact he is tandemed with a young stud like Fitz boded well for at least a good season. Throw Edge into the mix, and, well, why wouldn't you take a chance on him over a guy like Roy Williams or Andre Johnson who have been good but not the model of consistency over the years?

Of course, you weigh all kinds of factors on draft day including durability, vultured starts, offensive lines, etc., but for proven studs you take a chance in the high rounds knowing they will not be there if you wait.

What I was posting on was whether or not there was too much being made of the QB switch.
mad benjamin
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk