How fantasy football affects the way you watch the game - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How fantasy football affects the way you watch the game

Moderator: Football Moderators

How fantasy football affects the way you watch the game

Postby sportsaddict » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:54 pm

As I watched my beloved Missouri Tigers defeat Texas Tech tonight, I couldn't help but start thinking about how fantasy has really changed the way I watch football. While I watched this game, I realized that I didn't care who was getting the ball for Mizzou. All I cared about was us getting it into the endzone, no matter who did it. There were no fantasy implications or anything. To be honest it was kind of the first time in awhile I had watched a football game without thinking about individual performances, I was just thinking about the team and viewing the game as a real football game, like I used to before I played fantasy football.

I just wanted to see a discussion as to how FF has changed your watching the game. Its weird, ever since I started playing fantasy football, I pay a lot of attention to individual performances instead of the whole team. Which is why it was refreshing tonight to watch a good old fashioned football game.
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby venus » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:00 am

It certainly has changed my football watching habits. I went to my high school's homecoming game and it was a 40-34 game with lots of big plays. I remember after one 72 yard td pass thinking" that was worth 13 pts for the wr. :-D
On Sundays, watching the ticket I don't watch my vikings exclusively anymore, I channel surf to my players games. Though I do have two vikings this year so I have been watching them more.

10 team league
4-0
QB's McNabb, Bledsoe
RB's SA, Tiki, Brian Westbrook, Reuben Droughns, Brandon Jacobs,
WR's Chris Chambers, Javon Walker,Housh, Troy Williamson, Keyshawn
TE's Crumpler, Eric Johnson
K's Carney
D NO
venus
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Peacesells » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:23 am

I still watch the Cowboys like I always have (as a pure fan.) In the past If the Cowboys weren't playing I would only watch other games if they were good match ups. Now I watch every game I can. Fantasy football has increased my game watching enjoyment.

Peace
PLEASE RATE MY AUCTION DRAFT. CLICK BELOW.
viewtopic.php?t=340649
Peacesells
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby V-unit » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:23 am

Sometimes I care more about my Fantasy team then my favorite team which is SD.It has affected my viewing of games alot because it seems im thinks fantasy first then the actual game.Now when i put in my parlay cards thats an entirely different issue and it does ruin the game. :,-(
But there is no rush like fantasy football and thats for damn sure especialy in money leagues.
Starting Linup for 2007
QB:M.Schaub*,J.Cambell,J.Dellhomme(IR)
RB:L.Tomlinson*,Rudi Johnson*,E.Grahm,C.WIlliams(IR)
WR:S.Smith*,Roy Williams*,G.Jennings,N.Burleson
WR/TE:A.Gates*,D.Clark
K:S.M.Grokaswkie NE K*,S.Grahm
D:SD*,Tennesee
V-unit
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Kilroy » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:21 am

I've always watched every game I could, so I don't think FF has affected my viewing habits all that much. What Fantasy has done is make me knowledgeable about more players. (Gotta stay up on who's hurt, who's breaking out, etc.)

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Peacesells » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:41 am

Fantasy football has made my conversations with the "average football" fan less interesting.

Peace
PLEASE RATE MY AUCTION DRAFT. CLICK BELOW.
viewtopic.php?t=340649
Peacesells
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dgan » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:41 am

For me, it doesn't take anything away from the good games. It just adds something to the stinkers, like Oakland/San Fran. Who would put themselves through watching that? Ah, but I have Antonio Bryant so suddenly I am VERY interested!

It's always GO PACK no matter what. Although, what really stinks is when you have, say, Westbrook and McNabb goes off. Then the Packers lose AND my fantasy team loses...I'm grumpy for days...

;-D
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby stikmata » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:41 am

positively: even sucky matchups are watchable if there are fantasy implications or their is a player i want to scout. Also, my understanding of the game has increased w/ as much analysation that goes into this... before it was basically just root and hope for a big play... but now i pay attention to the different schemes and coaching philosophies more closely... and i've learned all about knee ligiments and shoulder dislocations and broken foot bones, so i figure i'm about half way to becoming a doctor !+)

negatively: i don't care about my NFL team as much (that's probably good though since i'm a Cheezehead :~( ).... and i get a cramp in my neck from sitting at the PC checking boxscores and turning my head every 30 seconds or so to see the TV
stikmata
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Ditka in '04 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:12 am

dgan wrote:It's always GO PACK no matter what. Although, what really stinks is when you have, say, Westbrook and McNabb goes off. Then the Packers lose AND my fantasy team loses...I'm grumpy for days...

;-D

I agree, but GO BEARS For me. If the Bears and my fantasy team lose, I am not a happy guy to be around on Monday/Tuesdays. I think I have a problem
Go Bears, Ditka, and Italian Sausage
Ditka in '04
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby RoxSox8 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:22 am

Now I always watch for matchups and am very interested in who is injured.

I have started sitting players against my favorite team the Chargers, so I don't have to root against them. I also try to have 2-3 Chargers on each of my teams. Lucky for me this year that SD has a good defense.
Go Chargers!
RoxSox8
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk