Will Marty Schottenheimer ever enter the 21st century? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Will Marty Schottenheimer ever enter the 21st century?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Will Marty Schottenheimer ever enter the 21st century?

Postby Purple Allegiance » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:54 pm

It seems that at any stop he is at, he takes potentially great teams and drives them into mediocrity due to his conservative game plan. It came back to haunt him again last weekend against Baltimore. As a Gates owner, I am obviously frustrated about this considering his numbers are as low as ever. Here's to hoping "Martyball" gets thrown aside for an offense more condusive to success in today's NFL.
Purple Allegiance
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kilroy » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:33 pm

He's been crushing dreams and ruining teams for 20+ years. Why stop now?

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby BigMusky » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:22 pm

I guess, I tend to think he makes crappy teams good and that is why he can not win in playoffs is because his coaching can only go so far without talent.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:44 pm

seems to me that he has cost those teams so wins as well. Can't have it both ways. If his coaching is what made the mediocre good, and then he screws up a coaching call, he can't go "well, look at my players."
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:00 pm

You're right...Gates did terrible in 2004 and 2005.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Will Marty Schottenheimer ever enter the 21st century?

Postby XHendrix » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:14 pm

Purple Allegiance wrote:It seems that at any stop he is at, he takes potentially great teams and drives them into mediocrity due to his conservative game plan. It came back to haunt him again last weekend against Baltimore. As a Gates owner, I am obviously frustrated about this considering his numbers are as low as ever. Here's to hoping "Martyball" gets thrown aside for an offense more condusive to success in today's NFL.

hmmm Chargers and mediocracy dont go together, this season. I know thats Blasphemy as a raider fan, but the chargers are a very good team, aswell as Baltimore.

Adressing your Anotonio Gates problem, without brees he wont ever put up his previous numbers.
XHendrix
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:41 pm

I am not saying that I think he is a good coach, because it would be a lie, but running the ball with LT is not the worst game plan anybody came up with.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Re: Will Marty Schottenheimer ever enter the 21st century?

Postby Matthias » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:23 pm

Purple Allegiance wrote:As a Gates owner, I am obviously frustrated about this considering his numbers are as low as ever.

Agree with BrutallyHuge. He was the coach the past couple of season and I don't think you were complaining then. And from the Chargers front office perspective, the Bolts were 1-15 when Marty took them over. And have been at or above .500 three out of the five seasons since, including a divisional title in 2004. He hasn't done a terrible job.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby V-unit » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:04 am

if anyone has ever watched a SD game you will notice that Marty does call alot of stupid plays.For instance lets say it 2nd n 3 they are on oppenents 34 yd line Marty will call some stupied play like a Latterll play instead of giving it to LT.Marty is a very conservitve coach but he has won its just that i hate it when he calls really dumb plays especially at the end of games (Ravens last week).
Starting Linup for 2007
QB:M.Schaub*,J.Cambell,J.Dellhomme(IR)
RB:L.Tomlinson*,Rudi Johnson*,E.Grahm,C.WIlliams(IR)
WR:S.Smith*,Roy Williams*,G.Jennings,N.Burleson
WR/TE:A.Gates*,D.Clark
K:S.M.Grokaswkie NE K*,S.Grahm
D:SD*,Tennesee
V-unit
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk