The Key to the 2006 Season: The Year of the Waiver Wire - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Key to the 2006 Season: The Year of the Waiver Wire

Moderator: Football Moderators

The Key to the 2006 Season: The Year of the Waiver Wire

Postby skinsfan » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:48 am

Coming into the season, I was very solid on the key to this year being WRs, so in most drafts I took a WR in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and landed Willie Parker later on. Well, to some extent this has panned out for me (My draft went: Alexander, Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, Burress, Parker. I later would trade Parker and Keyshawn for Ronnie Brown -- TBD on who won that deal), but not nearly as much as I'd hoped. I saw this season as a year with many platoon situations and uncertainties, as coaches contemplate the merits of using one back versus using two to three backs for various roles.

I was more right than wrong, but that doesn't make me right. No, this season is the year of the Waiver Wire and the Free Agent pool. With many key RBs suffering early injuries, we've already seen no-name backs compile very good stats. And with many defenses focusing on negating the #1 WR and tempting the offenses to resort to their #2 WR, we may see a bunch of #2s finish in the upper tier of fantasy wideouts. Not to mention how the best QBs thus far went largely undrafted, or were taken as backups on fantasy squads.

Take a look at some of the best fantasy performers this year (off the top of my head): David Carr, Rex Grossman, Robbie Gould, Jon Kitna, Bernard Berrian (whom I vocally doubted through the third week), and Marques Colston. Almost every contributer at RB to date was drafted.

Some would call this the year of luck (and there were very few sure things on draft day. I regret taking Fitzgerald over Holt, but not over Chad Johnson, so it's been a crapshoot), but I think that this is the year that a player who took many of these key FAs will go on to the playoffs and have the best chance at a Championship. Every year Free Agents contribute and change the fantasy scene, but usually to the the tune of one or two big names (Larry Johnson, Reuben Droughns, etc). This year, very many free agents will rise to the top of their position and far above most of those drafted and projected as fantasy starters.

Of course, this may simply be the year of the McNabb owner, who's averaged 30 points a week in my league thus far, with normal scoring.
Skins fan through thick and thin.
skinsfan
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bellybrother » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:09 am

I agree, not that it's done my record much good, I've picked up Grossman and Jennings for Carr(shoulda kept Carr and dropped Bledsoe) and Kevin Curtis.

I Thought the Idea this year was to draft consistancy over upside at RB and take chances on upside at wr(picked 8th outta 12)......Rudi, Dunn, Dillon......ROY, M Jones, Edwards and Curtis.

I was able to improve my team via waivers but am still am floundering. But the waiver wire has been gold this year at wr(and alotta 1st yeaer guys too) with Jennings, Colston, Berrian, Cotchery, etc.....(M. Robinson if he is eleigible at wr in your league or if Bush has become eligible based on % of plays at wr, etc.

If You're Not Livin On The Edge, You're Takin Up Too Much Space
bellybrother
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Philly Pride » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:10 am

Berrian is a savior for me, I picked him up last second when I heard Henry was out and he's been gold ever since.

I have one team which, due to Roethlisberger's suckiness, I have QB'ed Carr, McNair, and Grossman. All have been pretty solid.
Philly Pride
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Basketball

Return to Football Talk