How Long Should a School Suffer for Recruiting a Bad Person? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

How Long Should a School Suffer for Recruiting a Bad Person?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:18 pm

jayday wrote:Knapp, your article came from the college football section of CNN (Actually Sports Illustrated)...It didn't come from the US News & World Report front page :-b The link to the same article from the NFL page of SI.com is titled "Former NFLer LP..."

Didn't realize that...good point.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:13 am

jayday wrote:Knapp, your article came from the college football section of CNN (Actually Sports Illustrated)...It didn't come from the US News & World Report front page :-b The link to the same article from the NFL page of SI.com is titled "Former NFLer LP..."

So what's your point about that? How does that make my gripe any less valid? :-?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:41 am

ShoelessJoe wrote: Character is hard to find in a lot of the top notch players today and it's a very shaky issue. I don't think you can say any less of Nebraska because of one guy, just because of Lawrence Phillips. However, if there are continuing issues at Nebraska, say maybe you have one guy who steals some things from Dillards, then another kid who parks in handicap spots, then another who claims he's God *cough* FSU *cough* That's a problem. I'd say one guy is not a problem with the University of the coaches/administration but if the problem persists, then I think there should be a change in the University policy - be it coaching staff or the way they deal with their troubled players.

I agree with a lot of what you said but I wanted to pull this part out and comment. The fact is that during the late 90s we DID have a number of issues with kids.

Actually, we had a couple of issues in the early 00s too - one incident where a fan from Missouri punched one of our players in the fist with his face and another where a cheerleader from Oklahoma assaulted one of our linebackers by hitting our player in the shoulder with his stomach during warmups.

But the more serious issues were assault on a woman (a couple of times, Christian Peters comes to mind immediately) and there was a shooting involving one of our WRs (Abdul Muhammad, I believe). These and the two in the paragraph above are the most flagrant that come to my mind, but that's over a span of eight years. If you run the percentages, there are no more "character issues" with our program, or really most programs, than there are in the general student population.

It just sucks that someone with a modicum of noteriety gets so much press so long after they're relevant. :-/
Last edited by knapplc on Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:42 am

knapplc wrote:

So what's your point about that? How does that make my gripe any less valid? :-?

It's in the college football section, so it references where Phillips played college football. It's not like this news is all over the media and Nebraska is being slammed.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:05 am

CC wrote:
knapplc wrote:

It's in the college football section, so it references where Phillips played college football. It's not like this news is all over the media and Nebraska is being slammed.

I never said that it was "all over the news," and quite frankly, it wouldn't make it any worse if it was the lead story on the front page or buried two pages back in the Local Sports section.

The only thing I'm getting at is that the guy is not a NEBRASKA player, and hasn't been for over a decade, so I wish the media would stop identifying him with Nebraska. I couldn't care less WHERE they do it, I don't want it done at all.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CC » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:33 pm

knapplc wrote:
CC wrote:
knapplc wrote:

I never said that it was "all over the news," and quite frankly, it wouldn't make it any worse if it was the lead story on the front page or buried two pages back in the Local Sports section.

The only thing I'm getting at is that the guy is not a NEBRASKA player, and hasn't been for over a decade, so I wish the media would stop identifying him with Nebraska. I couldn't care less WHERE they do it, I don't want it done at all.

He played for Nebraska did he not? Then he is a Nebraska football player.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:51 pm

CC wrote:
knapplc wrote:
CC wrote:
knapplc wrote:

He played for Nebraska did he not? Then he is a Nebraska football player.

8-o

Dude, you just went back to square one on me. We've moved past that in the conversation.

He played for the Rams. Why is he not described as a Rams player?

He played for the 49ers. Why is he not described as a 49ers player?

He played for the Barcelona Dragons. Why is he not described as a Dragons player?

He played for the Dolphins. Why is he not described as a Dolphins player?

He played for the Montreal Alouettes. Why is he not described as a Alouettes player?

He played for the Calgary Stampeders. Why is he not described as a Stampeders player?

Got me?

Let's keep up, eh? :-?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jayday » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:14 pm

knapplc wrote: 8-o

Dude, you just went back to square one on me. We've moved past that in the conversation.

He played for the Barcelona Dragons. Why is he not described as a Dragons player?

He played for the Montreal Alouettes. Why is he not described as a Alouettes player?

He played for the Calgary Stampeders. Why is he not described as a Stampeders player?

Got me?

No, you need to keep up....Read my earlier post again...
jayday wrote:Knapp, your article came from the college football section of CNN (Actually Sports Illustrated)...It didn't come from the US News & World Report front page :-b The link to the same article from the NFL page of SI.com is titled "Former NFLer Lawrence Phillips..."

He is identified as a former NFLer in the NFL section (It would be hard to fit "Ex-Ram, 49er, Dolphin, Hairy Buffalo, etc" on the link to the story)....

So it shouldn't be a shock to see him identified as a former Husker in the college football section....

I'm sure if Phillips had become a master Dungeons & Dragons champion you would find a story on Dungeons&Dragons.com that identified him as "Former D&D champion Lawrence Phillips..."

Point is, how Phillips is identified with or attatched to (Nebraska, NFL, D&D) is all relative to the market that the story is being presented to.....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby knapplc » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:17 pm

jayday wrote:
knapplc wrote: 8-o

Got me?

No, you need to keep up....Read my earlier post again...
jayday wrote:Knapp, your article came from the college football section of CNN (Actually Sports Illustrated)...It didn't come from the US News & World Report front page :-b The link to the same article from the NFL page of SI.com is titled "Former NFLer Lawrence Phillips..."

He is identified as a former NFLer in the NFL section (It would be hard to fit "Ex-Ram, 49er, Dolphin, Hairy Buffalo, etc" on the link to the story)....

So it shouldn't be a shock to see him identified as a former Husker in the college football section....

I'm sure if Phillips had become a master Dungeons & Dragons champion you would find a story on Dungeons&Dragons.com that identified him as "Former D&D champion Lawrence Phillips..."

Point is, how Phillips is identified with or attatched to (Nebraska, NFL, D&D) is all relative to the market that the story is being presented to.....

They changed it then. The article headline IN THE NFL SECTION when I posted this was exactly the same as the one in the College Football section.

That's the whole reason I posted this.

The headline on the article IN THE NFL SECTION says AS I TYPE THIS:

Lawrence Phillips convicted of assault with deadly weapon

The first line on the article IN THE NFL SECTION says AS I TYPE THIS:

LOS ANGELES (AP) -Former NFL and Nebraska running back Lawrence Phillips was convicted Tuesday of seven counts of assault with a deadly weapon for driving a car at a group of young men, injuring three.

When I posted this thread, BOTH ARTICLES, in the NFL SECTION AND THE COLLEGE SECTION had this headline:

A rap sheet extended
Former Husker Phillips convicted on assault charges

You're saying I'm overreacting because of what you see now. What you're not taking into account is that CNN and CNN/SI change their headlines on a daily and sometimes hourly basis. Just because you see one headline now doesn't mean that's what they led the story off with when I saw it.

jayday wrote: Point is, how Phillips is identified with or attatched to (Nebraska, NFL, D&D) is all relative to the market that the story is being presented to.....

Yes. While I agree with this statement 100%, I don't have to like it.

That's why I started this thread. ;-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby moonhead » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:30 pm

well let's see here. when i hear the name lawrence phillips a few things come to mind. in this order:

1. thug
2. star rb at nebraska
3. thug
4. bust in the nfl

and i wouldn't be surprised if that's how it runs down in most people's minds. the only reason the guy has any notoriety is because he was a stud at nebraska.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

PreviousNext

Return to College Football