Vetoable Trade - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Vetoable Trade

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Matthias » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:28 pm

Yah, but if you're commissioner and you do a trade that your league isn't happy about, just telling them, "Well, I thought about it and my trade is fine" doesn't work. You really only have two options:

(1) Have someone appointed ahead of time to make the calls in these types of situations (and a backup in case the trade is with him);
(2) Put the trade up to a league vote.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: well

Postby ampant » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:18 pm

Retet wrote:
maddog60 wrote:
DbacksAllTheWay wrote:Well so far 4 people in the league have vetoed the trade, but haven't really provided any background reasoning. I basically said if 5 people say no it doesn't go through.

Hence why I heavily favor finding a commish who understands the need to exercise caution with the veto, and not have a vote. All too often the rest of the league will vote on whether they want the trade to go through, not whether it should be vetoed.

THis is not a vetoable trade.

I totally agree with maddog60 here.

Me too. Vetoes are to prevent cheating, not so that teams can play mommy and protect you from overpaying. What;s the point of working out trades if you can't hope to come out on the long end of it? This doesn't look like cheating to me, just a case of one guy not doing his homework well enough, or being higher than average on a particular player. What if he is just superstitious and thinks the Madden Curse is gonna get Alexander?
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:46 am

Like most of the other posters, I think this trade is lopsided but not vetoable.

Suggestion for next year:

In a few of the leagues I commish, we handle trades like this. I have a co-commish. Then we have 2 backup co-commishes just for trades.

1. All trades not involving me or the co-commish get approved or declined by the 2 of us.

2. If either me or the co-commish is involved in a trade, it's gets approved or declined by the one not involved and one of the backup co-commishes.

3. If both me & the co-commish are involved in a trade, it gets approved or declined by the 2 backup co-commishes.

This prevents team owners from just vetoing because they don't like the trade. Trades should only be vetoed when collusion is suspected. In my leagues where we have this system, the 2 backup co-commishes, the co-commish, and myself all know this and this is what we base our decision on. Making the entire league vote rarely works unless you have the entire league on the same page about when a trade should be vetoed or not. Unfortunately that rarely happens.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Twisted Sister » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:02 am

Matthias -

You are exactly the type of owner that makes a commish's job a living hell. You want your opinion to count, as a commish, but get this:

IT DOES NOT

I've had to put up with a few owners like you all season. Every time the commish is involved in a trade... out comes cries of collusion and calls for league votes (even though the league does not vote trades).

Pipe down and give your commish a break. You've had about a dozen FF Cafe players here say that the trade may be lopsided... but is not even close to a veto. Yet you continue to ignore everyone here...

I feel sorry for your commish, I know what he's going through.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:55 am

TwistedSister:

Not that it matters, but I haven't objected to a trade all season. In three leagues: commish of one.

My main point in this thread is this: the commissioner of a league, especially when his league members have raised a stink, cannot himself ok his own trade. He can't. You have an obligation (and I do this when I make a trade in a league I commish) to let someone else judge it. You can either do so via a league vote or by designating someone else in the league as acting commish when you're one of the people making the trade. But it has to be someone other than yourself.

As far as this particular instance is concerned, I don't care how many people in this thread said this trade is non-vetoable. I never said I'd veto it. All I said is that the commissioner himself can't make that call. Go back and read the thread.

This isn't about the fairness of the trade. It's about the fairness of the process which is a different thing entirely.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Twisted Sister » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:06 am

Matthias wrote:TwistedSister:

Not that it matters, but I haven't objected to a trade all season. In three leagues: commish of one.

My main point in this thread is this: the commissioner of a league, especially when his league members have raised a stink, cannot himself ok his own trade. He can't. You have an obligation (and I do this when I make a trade in a league I commish) to let someone else judge it. You can either do so via a league vote or by designating someone else in the league as acting commish when you're one of the people making the trade. But it has to be someone other than yourself.

As far as this particular instance is concerned, I don't care how many people in this thread said this trade is non-vetoable. I never said I'd veto it. All I said is that the commissioner himself can't make that call. Go back and read the thread.

This isn't about the fairness of the trade. It's about the fairness of the process which is a different thing entirely.

The process should be laid out pre-draft. If the process allows the commish to "self-approve"... then that's that - likewise, if the commish was foolish enough to have league votes in the rules.. then that's what he has to live by. In my leagues... there is typically a co-commisher or two.

Majority rule votes are joke... most of the teams in my leagues have a sub-500 average. At the least, it should be a unanimous vote (excluding the trading teams).

I apologize for misreading your intentions... there have been several posts in the last few days of owners whining about "collusion" and "unfair" trades.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk