Commish Help Needed - Injured Player - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Commish Help Needed - Injured Player

Moderator: Football Moderators

Commish Help Needed - Injured Player

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:12 am

I have a close league of friends and need some advice on this move. Our rules are that if a player is injured, you can put him on CBS' injured and add a player.

There's a few stipulations though:
1. You can only pick up that particular position (if your QB gets hurt, you can only grab a QB).
2. If the injured player actually plays, he gets automatically dropped to FA.

Some guy just put in a request to move Culpepper to this list and pick up a QB. The NFL Injury Report listed Culpepper as probable and I thought he was ready to go.

I'm leaning towards denying this request as "lost explosiveness" is not an injury. Culpepper could've played. Otherwise, this owner could just keep CPepp on the injured list all season since he probably won't "play."

Thoughts? My first thought is to clear up the rules next year.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jmog » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:19 am

Since his coach said he benched Culpepper due to injury I think, under your league rules, that you have to allow the move.

However, as soon as Culpepper isn't listed at all on the injury list and/or they just come out and say Harrington is the QB, at that point you don't allow it anymore.

I also agree, have to clear up the rules for next year.
jmog
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 25)

Postby Matthias » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:54 am

Toughie. Although I say no, don't allow it.

It's a fine distinction, but there's a difference between an injury and a condition. You can't point to any particular body part that is holding Culpepper back. So it's different from a strained hamstring or broken finger that makes someone probable, questionable, or what not.

When Dayne got demoted in Denver because he was fat, was that an injury?
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Retet » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:05 am

jmog wrote:Since his coach said he benched Culpepper due to injury I think, under your league rules, that you have to allow the move.

However, as soon as Culpepper isn't listed at all on the injury list and/or they just come out and say Harrington is the QB, at that point you don't allow it anymore.

This is the one that I agree with -- I think that the way your rules are written right now, you should allow the move. I think (please correct if I'm wrong) that the official reason for the C-Pep benching is injury. Saben added the "lost explosiveness" sure, but I believe that he attributed that to the injury.

Your reasoning to deny the move seems based on your interpretation of the Saben comment, which to me, oversteps the bounds of your league rules as they are written.

Again, I would allow it this year because your rules seem to allow the move, but as you noted, make changes to the rules for next year.

Hope this helps!
"Happy life day!"
Retet
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby TheMule » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:06 am

jmog wrote:Since his coach said he benched Culpepper due to injury I think, under your league rules, that you have to allow the move.

I think this is the best way to handle the situation. Coachspeak is an evil thing!!! But, the line has to be drawn somewhere. As bs as it may seem to use "loss of explosiveness" as an "injury", a basis the league uses to determine injury status needs to be agreed upon. But, as we all know, teams abuse that injury report like mad. So, all I can say is good luck!!!!

Thanks for the help on mine!! ;-D
Deluxe Sig By Deluxe_247
TheMule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby awwchrist » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:24 am

I think you're spot on BH.

"Sucking" is no reason to take advantage of an IR slot.

The only alternative is to allow him to use his IR slot for a player who isn't hurt and not playing, but for a price. That way, he still has a "choice" in what he does, and the availability to continue with moving Cpepp, but at least he'll be penalized.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:59 am

What is the definition of injured for your league? I am guessing it is not defined and that is the reason for the confusion. In my league I have a similar rule, but it is definded as being listed as Out or IR on the injury report. As soon as the status changes to anything else then they need to drop a player and take him off IR
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby RugbyD » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:21 pm

my understanding from Saban is the CPepp is going to be doing some aggressive rehab. That sort of thing doesn't happen to someone who isn't injured. I doesn't mean he won't play, but if he does, it's will only be because the Fins have little choice. It's definitely an "in-between" situation, but if he's doing rehab, he is injured, or perhaps more appropriately in the case not fully heaeld from a massive injury.
[b]Hermes[/b]: Just such the obstinancy that brought you here, to this self-willed calamitous anchorage.

[b]Prometheus[/b]: Be sure of this: when I set my misfortune against your slavery, I would not change.
RugbyD
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gablefan » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:39 pm

Allow it, but if Culpepper dresses even as Emergency QB Drop him into Free Agency. It doesn't mean anything because he is on the Injury Report. When is the last time Tom Brady wasn't on the Injury report?
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Infidel » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:06 pm

Commish here. First, yes you really do need to tighten the rules. Mine are, Q or worse, eligible for IR. P or better, must come off IR. If you pick up a player for someone on IR, when the injured player comes back, you must drop the injured player or the player you picked up. (You can't improve your team via IR because IR has WW priority).

In your case, if he can provide you a link CLEARLY stating that CPep can't play due to injury then ok it. If he can't then not eligible.
CheeseWhiz is a great substitute for plazma.
Infidel
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk