Commish Help Needed - Injured Player - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Commish Help Needed - Injured Player

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby stomperrob » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:51 pm

This explains in detail how Saban thinks Culpepper's knee is affecting his play if that's of any help (in determining whether you want to classify it as an injury):
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sp ... 719214.htm
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mattb47 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:54 pm

gablefan wrote:Allow it, but if Culpepper dresses even as Emergency QB Drop him into Free Agency. It doesn't mean anything because he is on the Injury Report. When is the last time Tom Brady wasn't on the Injury report?

I like this one. I say you tell him the risks prior to doing this, so it will be his choice. If he still chooses to put Culpepper on the IR and he dresses to play, then drop him from that team. But if he doesn't dress at all, then I would allow it.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BigMusky » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:59 pm

Culpepper is out because of injury....the explosive part has to due with his surgically repaired knee, which he is rehabbing. You have to allow this move, otherwise all injuries will be debatable.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Berge20 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:10 pm

We have the similar issue with the CBS Sportsline League.

Bottom line for us is that if a player is on the NFL injury report, we allow it. Obviously, if you want to tighten that up in the for next year you should wait until the season is over and then make some changes.

Looks like you have a decent system in place already so people can't abuse it (or at least without some level of risk).

As others have stated, using something like Q or worse is an option too for changes next year.

I think you should let him do it. Seems like he's working under the rules set forth.
Berge20
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:04 pm

question?

when u drop a player into this IR list, and grab lets say another qb, is that player still on access to just you where you can go back and grab him when you want before anyone else?

for instance, with fitzgerald you can put him on that list, grab another wr and not drop anyone else, then when fitz is back drop that player back to the field?
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Kilroy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:07 am

From what I've seen he's listed as doubtful on the Injury Report, so I'd think the move is allowable per your rules.

Miami at N.Y. Jets: Dolphins - Doubtful QB Daunte Culpepper (knee); WR Marty Booker (chest). Questionable CB Travis Daniels (knee); TE Justin Peelle (knee); LB Derrick Pope (hamstring). Probable TE Randy McMichael (ribs). Jets - Questionable RB B.J. Askew (foot); CB David Barrett (hip); WR Laveranues Coles (calf); WR Tim Dwight (thigh); RB Cedric Houston (knee); G Pete Kendall (thigh); C Trey Teague (ankle). Probable DE Dave Ball (hand); RB Kevan Barlow (calf); DE Bobby Hamilton (knee); RB James Hodgins (knee); T Adrian Jones (thigh); CB Justin Miller (hip); QB Chad Pennington (calf); S Kerry Rhodes (thigh); TE Sean Ryan (chest); WR Brad Smith (thigh); T Anthony Clement (shin); LB Matt Chatham (foot); S Eric Smith (knee); DT Kimo Von Oelhoffen (knee); RB Leon Washington (hip).

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby dgan » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:38 am

Just because he sucks doesn't mean he is healthy and he sucks. I think he is hurt and he sucks. He came back too early and should really have been on the bench recovering since week 1.

My suggestion is to handle it the way you would handle the drafting of an injured player. For example, the year Michael Vick broke his leg in the preseason. Did you (or would you) allow someone to draft him and then stick him on IR for the entire season until he played in week 12 or whatever it was?

I would handle Culpepper by the same precedent. Pretend that he's been on the bench "recovering" this whole time. Anyone who has seen him play this year will tell you his knee is not even close to where it should be, which is causing his shoulder problems because he isn't "throwing with his legs" as my high school coach loved to say.

The problem with QBs is that they generally don't deactivate QBs that can walk. Culpepper will be an emergency backup, just like Steve Young was even when he was trying to remember what country he was in. Just because he is active doesn't IMO constitute him being non-injured.

My thought is that if he is on the injury report and he doesn't play, he is eligible for IR on a fantasy team. The rule in my old league was that a player listed as injured is eligble for IR until he shows up in the box score. Yes, that means even if a receiver played the game but never caught a pass, he could remain on IR. This was in the scoring-by-newspaper days, though, so things have changed.

These problems are why my current league just did away with IR altogether.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Thanks for the advice, guys. I've decided to let this one go and allow him to make the move.

I'm gonna keep an eye on the injury report and perhaps drop Culpepper in the next few weeks off his roster. I don't think it really matters though...as CPepp stonk anyway.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby swandive » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:35 pm

I think you definatelymade the right move. The guy found a loophole in the rules and weaseled his way through it. I think your right that C-Pep won't be much of a factor and I think that within a few weeks he'll either be healthy and named 2nd string or back in the starting spot - either way he hits FA.

I don't think you can change it this year even if he remains on the BS injury list all year, but really, what does it matter.

I don't think there's any way you can really close the loophole but I also think it's an issue you will rarely face and just like this one, when you do it won't make much of a difference.
I'm starting to think that "The Cart" must be one of my players because he's seen as much time on the field for me as any of my players!

MCNABB, PORTIS, MCGAHEE, FITZ, KJ, JENNINGS, HEAP, CHESTER!!!
swandive
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Re: Commish Help Needed - Injured Player

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:21 am

BrutallyHuge wrote:I have a close league of friends and need some advice on this move. Our rules are that if a player is injured, you can put him on CBS' injured and add a player.

There's a few stipulations though:
1. You can only pick up that particular position (if your QB gets hurt, you can only grab a QB).
2. If the injured player actually plays, he gets automatically dropped to FA.

Some guy just put in a request to move Culpepper to this list and pick up a QB. The NFL Injury Report listed Culpepper as probable and I thought he was ready to go.

I'm leaning towards denying this request as "lost explosiveness" is not an injury. Culpepper could've played. Otherwise, this owner could just keep CPepp on the injured list all season since he probably won't "play."

Thoughts? My first thought is to clear up the rules next year.

Let him make the move, and then if Culpepper plays make the drop as usual.

Obviously clear up the rules next year if you don't like how it's working. I think it looks fine, if the guy wants to take the risk on losing Culpepper/FA (not sure who would be dropped) then let him. As long as he is on the injury report there can be a case made for it. Reports out there are saying that Culpepper may miss the rest of the season and that even Cleo Lemon is ahead of him on the depth chart at this point.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Previous

Return to Football Talk