Term "Shutdown Corner" being overused? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Term "Shutdown Corner" being overused?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby maddog60 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:49 pm

Champ, Ty Law used to be, Ike Taylor deserves mention, and a couple others are borderline.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GMoney » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:38 pm

DeAngello Hall is definately worth talking about when mentioning Shutdown corners.

Champ bailey is the obviosu one.

A few guys who are very close to being shutdown corners are Duanta Robinson, Ike Taylor.
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby LukeW9027 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:47 pm

The few guys i would call "Shutdown Corners" would be Champ Bailey and Chris McCalister. A few guys that are coming up would be DeAngelo Hall, Rashean Mathis, and Dunta Robinson.

Still an overused term none-the-less

The Future is here
LukeW9027
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: "In Greek Mythology,The Titans were even greater than the gods" Coach Boone

Re: Term "Shutdown Corner" being overused?

Postby mysticphysh » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:11 pm

Goody wrote:
UncleIvan wrote:I've heard this term alot the past few years. The only one that I've seen in recent memory that basically stops most receivers he faces was Deion Sanders.

Champ Bailey! He is the epitome of "shut down" corners.

I'm a huge Champ fan, him and his bro Boss because they went to Georgia, but he's not really a shut down corner. He's abused regularly. Especially last year.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Keyser_WV » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:12 pm

mysticphysh wrote:
Goody wrote:
UncleIvan wrote:I've heard this term alot the past few years. The only one that I've seen in recent memory that basically stops most receivers he faces was Deion Sanders.

Champ Bailey! He is the epitome of "shut down" corners.

I'm a huge Champ fan, him and his bro Boss because they went to Georgia, but he's not really a shut down corner. He's abused regularly. Especially last year.

I agree. Champ gets burned more than most people realize.

He is also a master of getting a penalty when he knows he is beat.

Probably the best corner out there right now but I wouldn't consider him a shut down corner.

D. Hall has all the tools. It will be interesting to watch him progress.

I would say Deion was the last true shut down corner.
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:42 pm

LS2throwed wrote:
Moses wrote:

I agree...There aren't really any premier shut down corners like Sanders was.

Another thing that's being overused it the announcers saying, "Thank god he scored a touchdown, He's on my fantasy team!!!"

It wasn't humorous the first time it was said, and 248 times later, it still isn't.

I dont mind when Korny mentions his fantasy team. It shows that he is in fact a real "guy" and not just a walking, talking cliche.

yea that fantasy stuff gets real old especially in commentary, im really not interested how well Tony Kornheiser's team is doing or who he traded :-t

I dont mind when Korny mentions his fantasy team. It shows that he is in fact a real "guy" and not just a walking, talking cliche.

If you dont like hearing about other peoples fantasy teams why the heck are you here? ;-)
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby tHe.pRoFessionaL » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:48 pm

Just a little side note for you guys to ponder - D.Hall spent all summer working out with Deion and being tutored by him, can you say passing the mantle???
tHe.pRoFessionaL
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby bellings » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:30 pm

Anyone who trash talks Steve Smith. Oh wait...
bellings
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DC5SB » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:11 am

Everybody seems to be forgetting one guy on these list, thats Terrance Newman. I dont want to necessarily call him "shutdown corner" but he is damn near. He doesn't have that much interceptions in his career, but thats because QBs NEVER throw his way. It is weird how they totally avoid him. That one throw i saw go at him was last week when Dallas played Philly. Newman was covering Baskett, and when i say covering i mean blanketing him, the only reason Baskett got a hand on the ball was because McNabb ever threw him so baskett had to leap out and stretch out for it. of Course he dropped it. Another website somebody did research on when the last time somebody threw an touchdown on him, it came out between 18-22 games straight where NOBODY threw a touchdown on him. The guy is good, and is WAY underrated. My opinion he is a TOP 5 corner in the league, but in order to get recognized you have to get some picks but nobody throws his way. Terrance Newman
DC5SB
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 51)

Postby dgan » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:21 am

I think the term 'shutdown corner' became obsolete when the NFL went nuts enforcing no contact about 3 or 4 years ago (remember, after the Patriots mauled the Indy receivers in the playoffs?) From that time, there is just too much advantage to the WR. Today's shutdown corners can only shutdown average WRs -- Deion would shut down the team's BEST receiver...not their #2.

It's not because corners are less talented, although they might be. More of the reason lies in the change of rules and the enforcement of the rules.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk