Term "Shutdown Corner" being overused? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Term "Shutdown Corner" being overused?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby DC5SB » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:39 am

dgan wrote:I think the term 'shutdown corner' became obsolete when the NFL went nuts enforcing no contact about 3 or 4 years ago (remember, after the Patriots mauled the Indy receivers in the playoffs?) From that time, there is just too much advantage to the WR. Today's shutdown corners can only shutdown average WRs -- Deion would shut down the team's BEST receiver...not their #2.

It's not because corners are less talented, although they might be. More of the reason lies in the change of rules and the enforcement of the rules.

I totally agree with this...that being said look at Terrance Newman. I hate to be on this dudes nuts, but this dude is the real deal. Last year when they played Steve Smith, Smith could never go long, Smith ended up having like 3 catches and then Newman trashed talked smith so much, he got in smith's head, smith reacted and was ejected from the game...

not saying shutdown..yet...but getting there...
DC5SB
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Goody » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:43 am

DC5SB wrote:
dgan wrote:I think the term 'shutdown corner' became obsolete when the NFL went nuts enforcing no contact about 3 or 4 years ago (remember, after the Patriots mauled the Indy receivers in the playoffs?) From that time, there is just too much advantage to the WR. Today's shutdown corners can only shutdown average WRs -- Deion would shut down the team's BEST receiver...not their #2.

It's not because corners are less talented, although they might be. More of the reason lies in the change of rules and the enforcement of the rules.

I totally agree with this...that being said look at Terrance Newman. I hate to be on this dudes nuts, but this dude is the real deal. Last year when they played Steve Smith, Smith could never go long, Smith ended up having like 3 catches and then Newman trashed talked smith so much, he got in smith's head, smith reacted and was ejected from the game...

not saying shutdown..yet...but getting there...

Yeah.....you're definitely on his nuts. :-B

At least you didn't underline his name twice in this post. :-b
OKCHomers
OKCFFL Auction
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:30 pm

Dre Bly :*)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk