Whats the chicago backfield look like in 2007 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Whats the chicago backfield look like in 2007

Moderator: Football Moderators

Whats the chicago backfield look like in 2007

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:09 pm

so, whats everyone think will happen after this season.

It was looking like for sure jones would be a free agent, and probably walk, but you would think that knowing this, they would be working to get benson more involved.

So, what happens after this year? Jones walks, benson becomes starter? Do the bears resign jones? can they afford to resign jones?

I have them both in a keeper, trying to decide if I should try to trade them, or if they have keeper value.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:33 am

bump

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby dgan » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:37 am

Difficult to say. I think they're playing Jones now because he's the best back on the team and they are trying to get homefield throughout the playoffs and go to the SB.

Jones has a history of being a bit of a troublemaker in contracts so he may find his way out of town even if Chicago wants to retain him. Otherwise, they could look to trade Benson and give Jones a fat contract.

Trading large contract RBs that haven't played, such as Benson, does not always find a lot of suitors, though. I have a feeling they're stuck with Benson, but who knows. If he would put his heart into it, he'd be good back so I think a lot of it is still up to Benson.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby ateam » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:07 am

I say Benson's #1 in '07 whether Jones is here or not.
I hate LJ Smith!
ateam
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby JakeTrain72 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:59 am

Benson is the #1 next year because Jones isn't coming back to a team that has a paycheck hanging over him. The Bears won't shell out top dollar for two RBs. I am more interested in Adrian Peterson because he would be a nice backup for the Bears and I think he has at most one year left on his deal.

I say keep both guys because TJ could end up being a nice starter for a team looking for a RB, like say the Green Bay Packers (assuming Green retires or fades away like Faulk).

Having TJ and Benson next year as your 2 RBs would be pretty solid for not having one of the big 3.

I have Benson on my keeper team and am trying to get Jones for this very reason. TJ is a vet who has had to battle for a starting spot each year, he won't accept a deal to any team unless he is considered thier main guy. Green Bay is about the best fit for him unless the Ravens don't feel Musa Smith is ready to handle the load next season.
JakeTrain72
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby killiansjmd » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:46 am

Benson should have been the #1 this year but was injured during the preseason and pulled that stunt where he lefta game early and the team was pissed at him. T.Jones worked his butt off plus his teammates like him so they went with him as the #1. I don't think Jones will be with the Bears next year IMO leaving Benson to be the main RB.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bolkonsky » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:01 pm

Benson will be the guy.

I have a very low opinion of TJ compared to most fans (and especially compared to most Bear fans), so I would say deal him while you can still get something pretty good for him. Remember that when one wipes the Halas Hall propaganda re: blocking and versatility from the brow, we are still talking about a 7 year veteran with one 1000+ yds year.

Please note that I do not mean to undervalue blocking from an RB...I am very traditional when it comes to that type of analysis, but the guy is being made out to be Walter frickin' Payton. Also, I grant that the team likes him, and that that is worth something...it just makes me wince to think about the fact that Peterson could have been a legit back-up for Benson this year and they could have gotten a second round pick for a guy that will leave after this year. If they win the SB, fine...otherwise....Just remember this is a team that wants to give Lance Briggs Urlacher-type money. Luckily, he turned them down. Most overrated "underrated" defensive player in football.
Hello, China? I have something you may want. But it's gonna cost you. That's right. All the tea.
bolkonsky
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby maddog60 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:23 pm

Whether its the best thing for them or not, Benson has a fat contract, there is pressure to play him, and TJ is too old to offer a true long term deal to him after this year. TJ will go on (maybe to GB, maybe Denver, maybe Cleveland, or Houston).
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Popcynical » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:53 pm

Whatever team has Adrian Peterson in their backfield is gonna be the bomb next year.

:-b :-b
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:29 pm

I thought Benson looked pretty impressive vs. Buffalo. Granted the game was a bit over the top but he seemed to do a pretty sweet job finding his way through the line. Jones has been pretty grumbly the last couple of years so I don't see him sticking around.

Whoever it is will likely be quite a bit slower with the SUPER BOWL RINGS weighing them down...!! ;-D
AcidRock23
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk