Sports Radio Fantasy Football "experts" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Sports Radio Fantasy Football "experts"

Moderator: Football Moderators

Sports Radio Fantasy Football "experts"

Postby BigMusky » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:01 pm

We have a local guy in Milwaukee, Peter Brown....who has got to be the biggest idiot when it comes to fantasy football. I cringe at the advice he gives callers. He is really good at betting games, but no concept of value in FFB. Do you guys see similiar characters and any Milla-walk-ay people agree with me on the Peter-Copter?
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:07 pm

never heard of that guy, but ill go out on a limb and say the yahoo fantasy "gurus" arent what their all cracked up to be, most the time they give you a sit/start thats obvious and the other times they just reach for something so when its right 10% of the time they can make sure they let you know they told everyone...i think they could do a better job with those guys
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:07 pm

fantasy expert = oxymoron.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bobbing_headz » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:11 pm

The guys on fox and espn do it all the time. Probably they just pick some guy that plays FF and then designate them as the 'expert'.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:23 pm

honestly, i think the best FF football advice you can get comes from right here at the cafe. Not because the guys here know the most. but because you get a variety of opinions, and most of the people will explain why they think what they do.

It provides the person asking the question with enough information to form their own fairly confident opinion. If you try to ask one person, who is an "Expert" you will be bound to there mistakes. Noone can predict the future, therefore, noone can actually be an expert.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bolkonsky » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:52 pm

J_rob_the_ Baller wrote:honestly, i think the best FF football advice you can get comes from right here at the cafe. Not because the guys here know the most. but because you get a variety of opinions, and most of the people will explain why they think what they do.

It provides the person asking the question with enough information to form their own fairly confident opinion. If you try to ask one person, who is an "Expert" you will be bound to there mistakes. Noone can predict the future, therefore, noone can actually be an expert.

I agree with this. The diversity of opinion at the Cafe is very handy in making informed decisions.
Hello, China? I have something you may want. But it's gonna cost you. That's right. All the tea.
bolkonsky
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby jruiss01 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:09 pm

J_rob_the_ Baller wrote:honestly, i think the best FF football advice you can get comes from right here at the cafe. Not because the guys here know the most. but because you get a variety of opinions, and most of the people will explain why they think what they do.

i think you're right...i also think the yahoo "gurus" are horrible. i think they just pick who to sit/start randomly. i learned this when i started playing a couple years ago. once i found out about this site i was hooked. it's helped me a lot

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea". - Eric Cantona
jruiss01
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:40 pm

Basically...I think ANYONE could be a fantasy football "expert" if they just look at one thing - the defense the player is playing against. If it's a RB playing a crappy run defense, he's probably going to go off. If he's against a good defense, the chances of him doing well are less. Same goes with WR's and pass defense.

I make almost ALL of my decisions based on defensive matchup. It's the one key stat that will get you the better player to play well over 50% of the time. The only other stat I MIGHT look at is how a specific player has done against the opponent in the past...sometimes people just play better against certain teams.

It doesn't take an "expert" to do any of that stuff...but if so-called "experts" don't use that data, they are probably shooting blindly.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:47 pm

No such thing as an expert. The good ones I would consider analysts. An expert will rarely (95th percentile imo) make the wrong decision.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:53 pm

Theres a guy from fanball that does a segment on the local espn station in Omaha. Hes no genius but he usually gives out what i would consider good advice.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk