Love-tapping the passer - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Love-tapping the passer

Moderator: Football Moderators

Love-tapping the passer

Postby jruiss01 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:18 pm

What happened to the sack? How come everytime a QB gets hit they call roughing the passer. It's like Enron/Worldcom. As soon as someone got hurt the government jumped to do something and made all these crazy rules. Same goes for Palmer/Simms. As soon as they got hurt the league cracked down on this. How are you supposed to tell a 250 lb. linebacker running at full speed toward the QB to stop as soon as you get to him. They teach you to play till the whistle is blown. Plus DT, LB, and anyone else who is a prevalent blitzer are trained to steamroll the QB any chance they get. It's just not fair for defenses. I would like to see stats on if sack production has been down this year as opposed to years past. I was watching the Jet game and saw horrible roughing the passer calls made.

I vote the leaue changes the name of the call to love-tapping the passer because that's what is happening in most cases. Palmer and Simms got bad breaks you know?

That's my gripe.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea". - Eric Cantona
jruiss01
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:27 pm

well, if people didn't bend the rules with roughing receivers and passers, this wouldn't have happened.

It seems like a lot of defenses predicated their strategy on the fact that things wouldn't be called, and the few times it was, it was worth the penalty to do so. (See Carolina/New England versus Eagles/Colts)

I know a lot of people say "let them play"--but really if one team is playing within the rules, and the other is playing outside of the rules, how does it make sense to say "let them play." I think that attitude benefits those who would bend them.

It is ticky tack, but the reality was, there wasn't much incentive NOT to take liberties with the QB, now there is. When you consider their unique position, and how much they have to pay attention to AND how stationary they are when there is a blind side hit, I don't think its sissy football at all.

the game doesn't need to be a blood bath.

I think the rule is good. If you aren't there for the sack, you don't hit him.

Considering sacks seem to be up (eagles had two 7 sack games this year) it doesn't seem SO hard to reel it in once the qb has passed the ball.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:31 pm

Basically, because the NFL wants to make money.

How do they make more money? By making the game more exciting.

How do they make the game more exciting? With higher scoring games.

How does the NFL infuence the games to make them higher scoring? by putting restrictions on what the defense can do.

If a QB gets hurt, they probably wont score as much. This causes people not to watch as much of the games, which means a drop in revenue. So, by implimenting rules that protect the QB, they are doing what they can to keep the QB on the field, hopefully to keep the scoring up.

The NFL can tell you its all about keeping players safe, but they are lieing. Thats a good cover, but it all comes down to money.

Higher scoring games means more fans, which means more money.

SO, any rules that hinder the defense in turn help to increase scoring, which means more money.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby aaawall91 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:32 pm

Passers are special. Its one of the most specialized positions in football. They are some of the highest paid players in the game, and there must be certain rules in the game to protect this investment from what would be considered a Dirty hit in most other sports as well that allow contact, Such as Ice hockey, anything away from the play is a penalty. Hitting players Below the Knee is a penalty. Its really just common sense. Some times calls can be iffy, but that goes for everything, not just hits on the QB.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby killiansjmd » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:33 pm

I was watching the Jet game and saw horrible roughing the passer calls made.

That roughing the passer call on Barton was absolutely horrible. There was no helmet to helmet contact and Barton actually lowered his helmet to make sure. It's out of control right now.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby jruiss01 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:46 pm

the NFL also contradicts itself because when the QB steps out of the line of scrimmage, he is fair game unless he slides or is in the act of sliding. You'd think that when he is out of the pocket he is the most vulnerable and can sustain a hit nastier than anyone blind siding him. It happened to Pennington. He was out of the pocket when he tore his rotator cuff. It's a lose/lose situation for the NFL. Everyone hates to see a game decided on penalties. I am not saying that there have been games like that this year, but if it does happen everyone will remember the game where a LB bumped a QB but couldn't slow down and the ref flagged it. And the story goes on that the penalized team lost because of a call that shouldn't have been made.

I don't know I can see the NFL's intention to protect the most vulnerable guy on the field, but they need to find a happy medium. I feel bad for teams who have suffered (like mine, the Jets) because of QB injuries. That's part of the game. I mean there was no rule changing when Joe Theismann's career was ended by LT.

The NFL loves to create controversey, and they succeed in doing it ever year. I guess that is part of the game too.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea". - Eric Cantona
jruiss01
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:55 pm

killiansjmd wrote:

That roughing the passer call on Barton was absolutely horrible. There was no helmet to helmet contact and Barton actually lowered his helmet to make sure. It's out of control right now.

yeah, i saw that to, it was a horrible call

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Verdun Barbarians » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:06 pm

J_rob_the_ Baller wrote:
killiansjmd wrote:

yeah, i saw that to, it was a horrible call

Well, the Director of officiating explained the call on NFL Network (the video is available on NFL.com). The call was not a "helmet to helmet" one, but a "driving with the helmet" call... And Barton did drive head-first into Leftwich. So I don't thnk that particular one was a bad call.

I guess the NFL has tightened the leash on officials with a stellar injury level in recent years.
Verdun Barbarians
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby slowride » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:56 pm

Lets just give them flags and end this charade already.
slowride
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby HskrPwr13 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:44 pm

slowride wrote:Lets just give them flags and end this charade already.

Seems to be the direction this league is going. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to rules. I hate when leagues of any sport change the rules, just because a coach thought up a new way to win within the current rules.

I dont like the argument that the QB is special or he's so important. Thats up to the coaching. The QB doesnt have to be the most important position on the field, nor does a QB have to be exposed in a "pocket". The thought of using a true drop back passer has only been around for the last 30 or so years. If a coach is scared of getting his QB "killed" he shouldnt run an offense that forces a QB into that scenario.

A coach started passing as a risk to gain an advantage within the current rules of the time. I dont think that coach did it in hopes of rule changes to better protect his QB.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk