McCardell TD??? Does the points count??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

McCardell TD??? Does the points count???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:32 am

BrutallyHuge wrote:
HoratioSandoval wrote:Amen, dgroundhog. Sorry Huge.

To give a really simple example...

Cornerback intercepts a pass, returns it for a TD.

Under dgroundhog - Defensive TD.

Under Huge - Offensive TD?

In my opinion, you should think that you drafted individual defensive players, but happen to have every defensive player from one team. Do you guys have an easier way to think about it?

Sorry to me? I'm right. Sorry to you. CBS Sportsline just put this out:

"Tampa's Defense Awarded TD

Keenan McCardell's fumble recovery for a touchdown on Monday night was awarded to the Buccaneers defense, not McCardell. Since there was a change of possession on the play, McCardell was acting as a defensive player."

This goes back to the fact that QBs can get hit after an INT because it's a change of possession. If it wasn't a change of posession, then it would be roughing the passer.

Don't front.

IMHO, that's retarted. As people have said before, then how are there ever defensive TD's?

So let me get this straight:

Bucs have the ball, johnson throws an INT, change of possession so now the Bucs on the field count as defense. Then, bucs force and recover a fumble, so there's another change of possession, should the Bucs on the field now count as offense? And hence, mccardell would be on offense.

But, this is how it actually went down:
Change of possession (INT) bucs players are now defense, change of possession (fumble) bucs players magically don't change this time and are still considered defense, and get the touchdown.

Um...?
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:35 am

Free Bagel wrote:
IMHO, that's retarted. As people have said before, then how are there ever defensive TD's?

Bucs have the ball, johnson throws an INT, change of possession so now the Bucs on the field count as defense. Then, bucs force and recover a fumble, so there's another change of possession, should the Bucs on the field now count as offense? And hence, mccardell would be on offense.

Change of possession (INT) bucs players are now defense, change of possession (fumble) bucs players magically don't change this time and are still considered defense, and get the touchdown.

Um...?

Maybe you should stick to tiddly-winks and freeze tag because football is too complicated for you, son.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:40 am

BrutallyHuge wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:

Um...?

Maybe you should stick to tiddly-winks and freeze tag because football is too complicated for you, son.

The whole thing is hypocritical unto itself. They say that offense switches to defense and vice versa when there is a change of possession, yet the defense still gets credit for the TD even though they are now the "offense."

If you're saying that they change each time there is a change of possession, then there were 2 change of possessions on that play, and thus everything should've reverted to the way it was before the INT. 2 negatives equal a positive.

I have neither Tampa nor Mccardell in any of my leagues, so this is all unbiased, not to mention it means I don't really care either way, but it's a good discussion.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby dsteele66 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:22 pm

if the offensive player scores, it's offense; if the defensive player scores, it's defense; if the special teams scores, it's special teams. How a WR can recover a fumble and score for his defense, I don't understand...
QB: A. Brooks; P. Ramsey
RB: C. Portis; T. Henry; M. Williams; L. Gordon
WR: J. Horn; L. Coles; K. Robinson; C. Rogers
TE: A. Crumpler; D. Clark
K: S. Janikowski; O. Mare
Def: Panthers; Falcons
----
Start: QB, RBx2, WRx2, TE, K, Def
dsteele66
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:15 pm

CBS Sportsline isn't the final say for all leagues and all league formats, for one. http://www.myfantasyleague.com didn't credit TB D OR McCardell with a TD.

Every league needs to make a decision on the rule, but the idea of them switching teams makes no sense. As another poster points out, it appears after one fumble sides switch, after a second, they do not. A player intercepting a pass is somehow magically changed to offense, yet when he scores he is credited with a defensive TD. There are too many holes in switching sides. It doesn't work, if you don't see the arguments against it, you aren't being open minded. Saying football is too complicated for someone who is arguing a point that is clearly beyond the scope of your intellectual capacity isn't an argument. Make a point for your case. I don't give a damn what CBS or the NFL and it's little stat keepers decide. Their rules don't work for fantasy.

You cannot find the same holes if you set the teams as offensive, defense, or special teams BEFORE the play, and they continue that status to the conclusion of that play. The rule just makes more sense, and doesn't fall apart. I could care less how it gets scored in my stupid Yahoo league. Playing for money, I'm making sure the rule is clear BEFORE the season starts.

It's an individual league preference, and the NFL isn't going to help you with it's retarded stat keepers. You may have to alter scores if you decide to over-ride the scoring to fall in line with the rule. Sometimes a point will slip thru unnoticed and affect outcomes.

I gotta flat out disagree with the argument of giving him rushing yards. It is an offensive fumble recovery returned for a TD. On a lateral, a player gets credit for rushing yards at the point he receives the ball. On a fumble (even one that does not change posession) no rushing yards should be credited.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby dsteele66 » Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:51 pm

gotta flat out disagree with the argument of giving him rushing yards. It is an offensive fumble recovery returned for a TD. On a lateral, a player gets credit for rushing yards at the point he receives the ball. On a fumble (even one that does not change posession) no rushing yards should be credited.

So, if an RB fumbles the ball, recovers his own fumble and takes off -- you wouldn't credit that as rushing yds?

I agree with everything else in your post...
QB: A. Brooks; P. Ramsey
RB: C. Portis; T. Henry; M. Williams; L. Gordon
WR: J. Horn; L. Coles; K. Robinson; C. Rogers
TE: A. Crumpler; D. Clark
K: S. Janikowski; O. Mare
Def: Panthers; Falcons
----
Start: QB, RBx2, WRx2, TE, K, Def
dsteele66
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby zombiez » Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:44 pm

you should have one place where you get stats for your FF.League......our league uses Nfl.com......because they truly keep the true stats of the NFL , and as far back as I can remember, anytime there is a fumble, the Offense automatically becomes the D.....has always been like that.......not really sure why this is a big debate
zombiez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Football Talk