WHIR, Don't get it - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

WHIR, Don't get it

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby SDChargerFan » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:57 am

Like many people have already stated, I usually only post questions for confirmation of something that I have pretty much made up my mind about already and maybe someone has a different angle that I havent thought about.

Also, I admit that I know more about certain players/teams/positions than about others so I might ask questions about 3rd WR's or backup TE's that I may not know much about but I feel that I can offer some insight into some other peoples questions about things that I am familiar with. I dont answer questions about things that I dont know much about or if I do, I will give an opinion with a further statement that I dont know a whole lot about the issue.
SDChargerFan
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:54 pm

SDChargerFan wrote:Like many people have already stated, I usually only post questions for confirmation of something that I have pretty much made up my mind about already and maybe someone has a different angle that I havent thought about.

Also, I admit that I know more about certain players/teams/positions than about others so I might ask questions about 3rd WR's or backup TE's that I may not know much about but I feel that I can offer some insight into some other peoples questions about things that I am familiar with. I dont answer questions about things that I dont know much about or if I do, I will give an opinion with a further statement that I dont know a whole lot about the issue.

Same here. I rarely ask but when I do it is simply for confirmation. Who knows maybe I missed a certain angle that someone else can make light of.

One guy in the trades forum comes to mind. APAP. The guy is always helpful and uses logic in his answers. One day I get a PM from him asking me for advice. He is the cafe response leader but just wanted confirmation that he was thinking of all the angles. I gladly help those who help me.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:18 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:For those that have such a problem with this: What are you doing on the start/sit waiver-wire forums anyway?

hmm...this is true

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby LS2throwed » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:56 pm

Redskins Win wrote:the thing I hate about the "WHIR" is the H

I mean how the hell do people think they are helping you. You wont know till the game is over. it's overly pretentious.

I will offer suggestions in the start sit. but rarely/never seek advice from those who are asking for it. after all if they are asking for advice they don't know jack sheet, and can't manage their own team effectively.

but I will say that if you are new or in reasonable bind with your roster or a trade quandry, this forum is a most excellent resource ;-D

thats a horrible way to look at a forum like this....especially seeing as how you should trust what you get from these forums before you should a fantasy "expert" but whatever suits you...but if you dont get it and think it doesnt make any sense you do know that you dont have to go to that part of the forum, which eliminates the problem...you could just stay in player updates n injuries and dont take any advice at all
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mrblitz » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:01 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:For those that have such a problem with this: What are you doing on the start/sit waiver-wire forums anyway?

Exactly, my sediment. I too, feel that when someone asks for help, I like to think my opinion on the matter is helping them. That's what I'm here for, to help and to be around other fantasy football nuts.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Re: WHIR, Don't get it

Postby Bowie » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:20 pm

Infidel wrote:Don't get it. If you don't know what to do with your team, why should I care what you think about mine?

I know, maybe just another opinion, but I really don't care. I can make my own decisions and if you can't I really don't care what you have to say.

You don't have to care. All better, or do you still feel :~( ?
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Kilroy » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:12 pm

I rarely post questions in the Start/Sit or Trade Forums (and even then I usually post in Matt's uber-thread because I value his opinion and he gives explanations for his reasoning) in large part because 90% of the responses you get are 1 or 2 words followed by "Help Me" and a link. An answer without an explanation just isn't very helpful IMO, and definately isn't going to influence my decision. I pop in there from time to time to answer questions though, and I try to give the reasons why I made a certain choice and not just the choice itself when I do.

I'm not knocking those forums or the people who use them for help. I just wish that some folks would put a little more effort into their responses, which would make those forums that much more helpful for everyone.
Last edited by Kilroy on Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby lsufan » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:10 pm

Maybe some of you guys that don't like the Sit/Start forum and Draft, Trade, Keeper & Waiver Questions forum could make it better with some good (not one word answer) advice. I know a lot of you guys do help out. I know if I ask a question and somebody posts a link I will give them more then a one word opinion(opinion being the key word here) even if they only give me a one word answer in return. It really seems like anytime i'm hanging out in those forums all I see is new people with less then 100 posts.
lsufan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dgan » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:37 pm

I think the sour note from the original poster was from the perception that I get as well, that many of the people that post in the Start/Sit either just want to hear themselves talk or are such novices that their questions are laughable.

I think a lot of us would enjoy it more if there were more serious and complicated questions in there. I quickly became disinterested because I had to peruse through about 30 posts to find something that was actually interesting.

There is way too much help out there for rookie owners that make the work us vets put into fantasy football almost meaningless at times. These days, any loser can walk into a draft and get lucky with a good team. That never used to be the case.

Anyway, I don't go into that forum hardly at all (except to see Plindsey's defensive rankings out of curiosity ;-D ) and I don't complain anymore about the people that do. But I just wanted to comment when I saw this thread that I think the original poster was thinking he doesn't want some novice giving him advice on HIS team, therefore the WHIR is kind of overused. You should only use it if you know how to help someone else...not if you're a clueless rookie, which we all were at one point.

Just my opinion, of course. I'm sure others disagree.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Infidel » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:25 pm

dgan wrote:I think the sour note from the original poster was from the perception that I get as well, that many of the people that post in the Start/Sit either just want to hear themselves talk or are such novices that their questions are laughable.

But I just wanted to comment when I saw this thread that I think the original poster was thinking he doesn't want some novice giving him advice on HIS team, therefore the WHIR is kind of overused. You should only use it if you know how to help someone else...not if you're a clueless rookie, which we all were at one point.

Thankyou. Exactly my point. I don't mind helping people. I don't mind people asking questions. Think it is a good idea. But, my point was:

"If you don't know what to do with you team, why would I care about getting advice from you on mine?"

And you very aptly expounded on my simple statement.
CheeseWhiz is a great substitute for plazma.
Infidel
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk