LEAPING?!?!?! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

LEAPING?!?!?!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Stingy D » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:48 am

I am glad the call was right. But if it had not been, I would not have cared. That running to the kicker call was total B.S. Gave the Bucs a second chance to win, which they blew. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

--SD ;-)
"When I am on the plane, ideas just come to my mind. It could be the altitude, it could be the idleness, but most likely it is caused by free alcohol." --Alexander Baburin, Chess Grandmaster
Stingy D
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby PresBoogie » Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:02 am

That roughing the kicker call was silly. The guy was laying on the ground and not moving anymore by the time the punter touched him.

And I don't care if there is a rule against 'leaping'. Guys jump and bump each other all the time on field goals. Why did it get called in this situation?

Both of these penalties should have been no-calls. The only consolation is that it went both ways.
PresBoogie

Friendliness: %

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:18 am

Folks, let's not lose sight of what really transpired in this game.

First of all, like Coach Gruden said, the Bucs put themselves in a bad position to begin with and did not deserve to win. That is for certain. Up 21 with 4 minutes to go and you find a way to lose? The Colts deserved the win because they played with more heart when it counted the most.

Second of all, it's tit for tat because that roughing the punter call was absolute crap too. Albeit, the roughing call didn't change the outcome of the game, nonetheless, it's still tit for tat.

Lastly, the rule is crap, but nonetheless it was properly interpreted and was correct. Sorry, it's the rule. Can't argue that.

Now, I'm just a football fan. No loyalties here, just the truth. It was the greatest MNF comeback I've ever seen. The Bucs didn't deserve to win. The Colts did. Period.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SuperCafone » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:08 am

I think officials should be able to look at instant replays from the field and if it is an obvious call overturn it, thats why we have the replay so its fair, anyways Tampa D should have held when they were leading at least by 21 points
solo c'è la vittoria
SuperCafone
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby KingNothing31685 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:57 am

whats up with vanderjagt jacking the fieldgoal at the end anyway?
did you see how on the second and game winning attempt that it was going wide right and the bucs defender going over the top tipped it a bit and it sent it back through?

No one gave props to the Indy D who did a ton better in the second half.

i would not wanna play the bucs next though
KingNothing31685
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:00 am

It is a bad rule, but the refs got it right.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby The Dude_ffc » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:25 am

Guys, that's not the rule. The rule states that if you start behind the line of scrimmage, jump and make contact with another player , it is LEGAL. That's why you don't see this aspect of the rule called - ever. The part of the rule the ref's were referring to was the part of the rule that states that you may not use another player to propel yourself up. The ref's saw Rice on his teammate's back and thought he had propelled himself up, which he had not.
Why do we have instant replay if we can't look at game defining plays like this?
"That rug really tied the room together."
The Dude_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:27 am

The Dude wrote:Guys, that's not the rule. The rule states that if you start behind the line of scrimmage, jump and make contact with another player , it is LEGAL. That's why you don't see this aspect of the rule called - ever. The part of the rule the ref's were referring to was the part of the rule that states that you may not use another player to propel yourself up. The ref's saw Rice on his teammate's back and thought he had propelled himself up, which he had not.
Why do we have instant replay if we can't look at game defining plays like this?

Sorry dude, but you're completely and utterly WRONG here.

The rule is as follows.

If a player starts more a yard behind the line of scrimmage, leaps, and comes in contact with another player at any time while in the air, INCLUDING ON THE WAY DOWN, it is a personal foul.

That is the rule. You don't see it called often because there's usually not anyone lining up that far back and touching anyone.

As for why the rule is there, my guess is that it's to prevent people from getting a running start and lunging onto the top of the pile, thus breaking like 3 people's necks.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby The Dude_ffc » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:00 am

Bagel, chill with your all caps when you accuse me of being wrong or I will make a voodoo doll of you. The penalty "Leaping" states that if a player starts behind the line of scrimmage he may not use another player to lift him up. This is what the refs called. Of course you can run and jump up to block a kick, players do it all the time. Players also run and jump then continue to bump into their own teammates. The refs called this penalty because they thought Rice had used a teammate to get higher in the air. Believe it not. I'm not going to bicker about it, the game was awesome!
"That rug really tied the room together."
The Dude_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby juggs » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:05 am

i lost but at least the RED SOX WON!!!!!!!!!
juggs
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk