LEAPING?!?!?! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

LEAPING?!?!?!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:07 am

It's been stated like 10 times. You're definition of leaping is wrong. It is starting 1 yard or more behind the line of scrimmage, leaping up, and coming into contact at any time at any point during your jump. It is a rule, written in plain and simple english. Al Michaels was given word of the exact wording of the rule after the play and announced it, and it is written in ESPN's write-up of the game. The penalty was NOT for using someone else to propel him, that is a DIFFERENT penalty called "leverage."
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheREALfan » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:07 am

Leaping..............That is the worst rule in football next to roughing the passer and forward progress
TheREALfan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:09 am

The Dude wrote:Bagel, chill with your all caps when you accuse me of being wrong or I will make a voodoo doll of you. The penalty "Leaping" states that if a player starts behind the line of scrimmage he may not use another player to lift him up. This is what the refs called. Of course you can run and jump up to block a kick, players do it all the time. Players also run and jump then continue to bump into their own teammates. The refs called this penalty because they thought Rice had used a teammate to get higher in the air. Believe it not. I'm not going to bicker about it, the game was awesome!

It's been said a million times. YOU ARE WRONG.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Dude_ffc » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:14 am

whatever, who cares? Both of you are getting voodoo dolls. When you get those sharp, unexplained, pains think of the dude. Dumb call by the refs regardless. They were probably making up for that lame roughing the kicker call.
"That rug really tied the room together."
The Dude_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby TheREALfan » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:30 am

Once again.........the rule sucks, along with all the other bull-#@%* the NFL comes up with. Give me a break. Sunday's should be spent talking about College Football. Or lets just go back to smashmouth football. The wing T and wishbone and all of that good stuff. That is when football was played AND watched by real men
The NFL sucks!!
TheREALfan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby big shot » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:16 pm

we might as well bring back the leather helmets while we are at it
big shot
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:54 pm

TheREALfan wrote:Once again.........the rule sucks, along with all the other bull-#@%* the NFL comes up with. Give me a break. Sunday's should be spent talking about College Football. Or lets just go back to smashmouth football. The wing T and wishbone and all of that good stuff. That is when football was played AND watched by real men

Come on man, that's the dumbest thing I've read here today. You should be ashamed of yourself for slamming the greatest sporting league on the planet. You're probably a Nebraska fan who thinks every NFL team should run the option. I love College football as much as the next guy, but college has nothing on the Pro's (well, except in basketball). Just look at how they decide their national champs. The polling/BCS system is an absolute joke. That alone ruins college football for me.

Friendliness: %

Postby VHawk15 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:09 pm

I think that the rule is BS, but the call was not. The ref was gutsy about going by the rulebook. But I do think that there will be some protesting and the rule will be changed.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

The Ref's Were Correct

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:22 pm

First of all, the Bucs should never have put themselves in that position. So stop crying in your milk.

Secondly, the rule is correctly there to prevent players from getting hurt.

Lastly, read this link, it should put this arguement to rest.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1632537
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:04 pm

Just as I suspected (and posted a while ago), the rule is there to prevent injuries.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Previous

Return to Football Talk