ONCE AGAIN, REG. SEASON FBALL GAME TRUMPS POST SEASON BBALL - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

ONCE AGAIN, REG. SEASON FBALL GAME TRUMPS POST SEASON BBALL

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby JRRNeiklot » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:16 am

Nope.
JRRNeiklot
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:25 am

It was on Fox here...

I swear, those two K's Lowe had at the end were the nastiest two pitches I've seen in a long while.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:30 am

I love football, but even I had to give football the backseat last night. I had to watch my Sox win in game 5. What a series, it has been great. I hope the run continues.

Friendliness: %

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:31 am

Free Bagel wrote:It was on Fox here...

Same here.....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby brdmaverick » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:31 am

I'm a huge Sox fan, so I had to watch the game, even though I love the Pats way more.

What a gmae though, my buds and I went nuts when Lowe got those two key strikeouts.
brdmaverick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby emaja » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:20 am

senseiosin wrote:Gimie a break, baseball sucks and everyone under the age of 19 knows it.

That's because a lot of America doesn't have the patience for a good baseball game. And that's too bad. A well pitched duel between two stud pitchers is not terribly exciting to someone with a short attention span, but it is one of the best things in sports. Maddux vs Prior was sweet.

senseiosin wrote:...the concensus MVP Barry Bonds is a friggin roid head along with 75% of the league.

No 'roids in football. No siree. Oh, I have some swampland in Florida that I'd like you to look at. The Tooth Fairy owns it now and is sick of picking up Santa's reindeer crap.

Steroids are a bad thing for all sports. But, they are here to stay.

senseiosin wrote:Although this is the only postseason that is interesting with the Cubs and Sox, too bad the goddamn Yankee's are gonna walk away with it again this year.

If you watched baseball, the you know the Yankees are far from a shoe-in. The Sox faced elimination in 3 straight games and won against an awesome Oakland pitching staff. Wasn't last year's playoff's exciting enough for you? The Angels winning the WS - come on, that's drama. The year before, the D-Backs knock off the Yanks in dramatic fashion also. Two blown saves by BK and they still win. Each game was scintillating sports drama.

Yup, baseball playoffs are always boring.

senseiosin wrote:Naw, its all about NFL football and NCAA basketball for me, easily the two best sports seasons in the U.S. in my opinion. Salary cap, or no salaries at all are the way to go for the best competition.

No salaries in NCAA? You are kidding right? Oh, they get an education. RIIIIIIIIGHT. Chris Webber is not a anomoly.

It is possible to like both sports for different reasons. I love football because it is the ultimate team game. Something sorely missing from basketball at any level. Baseball has the individual matchups within the game. The tension and release of every single pitch can be an emotional roller-coaster for a fan.

I love football too, but let's not insult baseball or its fans.
emaja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Location: Wearing the PB with pride looking for my Bears crack pipe...

Postby awwchrist » Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:05 am

whoop..if you watched the cubs/marlins game there were far worse ways to burn 3 hours..

seriously, here's something that is very attracting for baseball. Some of you see baseball as slow and laborous. However, in certain times, it really makes for absolutely incredible moments.

You know that nervous zenith of anticipation you get when your team is down by 6 and they throw the hail mary? You get that "everything in the world has stopped for this brief second.." feeling as the ball is in the air for a few seconds.

Take that feeling and stretch it out over 20 minutes. The 9th inning of a close playoff baseball game is the most intense thing you can witness.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Baseball

Postby blueonion » Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:45 am

Well I must say, I think baseball is truly a timeless game and has been a big part of American History. But I believe the same can be said for horse racing and boxing, both of which have fell by the wayside because of poor economic decisions by those making the decisions.

I personally have turned my back on baseball after last year's labor disbute. Originally this was difficult because I am a long time Minnesota Twins fan, but I have watched zero baseball over the past two seasons and I honestly do not feel like I have missed anything.

<b>Interesting Observation</b>...People that watched Football watch it because they like the game, not necessarily because of who is playing. On the other hand, it seems like most people watching baseball watch it because 'their' team is playing and not watch it because of the game. I know Yankee fans love their Yankees, but I never hear say something like, "Did you see that regular season game between the Indians and Blue Jays."

<b>My problem with baseball is...</b> the league, the owners and the players union could care less about me as a fan. The believe the small market teams (Twins 02 & 03, Indians 94 & 95 & 96, D-Backs 01, Angels 02 etc...) should be excited about their teams because they have 1 or 2 good seasons in a period of 10 to 20 years.

<b>In addition...</b>I will not allow myself to become emotionally attached to any of the Twins players because in the long run, they will not be Twins. Baseball refusses to put in a cap and revenue sharing to balance the playing field. I am educated on the revenue sharing topic and for that reason I understand why their will never be revenue sharing as it is in the NFL, which is sad.

<b>Because of big market teams...</b>I believe baseball is becoming more and more a regional sport. I know there are fans in Boston, New York, Philly, St. Louis, Chicago and maybe some in Los Angeles and San Franscisco...but outside of those markets, one would have to be insane to put baseball on the same level as football.

<b>To be truthful</b>, I would rather read articles about the EPL (English Premier League - soccer), La Liga (Spanish First Division) or Serie A (Italy's first division) than watch a baseball post season game. Am I in the majority, no. But as a comsumer, I can watch whatever I want and I am no longer watching baseball.

the BlueOnion
blueonion
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby josebach » Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:56 am

senseiosin wrote:Gimie a break, baseball sucks and everyone under the age of 19 knows it.

Yeah, that's why 20 million kids play little league every year... because baseball sucks so badly. Just because you don't like something, don't assume an entire generation holds the same opinion as you do. That's just ignorant.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby zombiez » Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:05 pm

I remember what I looked like when Barry Bonds first came out........looked pretty skinny and young myself......and if i would have lifted and takin care of myself, I would look probably like an athlete......but instead I chose to drink mass quanities of Budweiser, which truly is my steroid......Barry is just the best damn baseball player ever......period!!!!!
zombiez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk