Should Pats trade for Moss? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to New England Patriots

Should Pats trade for Moss?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Should Pats trade for Moss?

Postby sox 06 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:24 pm

JUST a rumor but the Pats are in with the Jaguars and Steelers as possible teams that could and want to trade for Randy Moss. What are your opinons of Moss being a Patriots? They do need some WR help.

From NFL.com

News: Numerous published sources have linked Randy Moss' name in trade talks with teams including the Jacksonville Jaguars, Pittsburgh Steelers and New England Patriots. None of this means that Moss will be moved before the NFL's trading deadline (especially since the Raiders want a first-round pick for him), but the chatter does suggest that maybe the Raiders are at least considering it. Moss has said on FOX Sports Radio that he wouldn't mind being traded out of Oakland. Furthermore, the salary cap hit the Raiders would take would not be as bad as once believed because of new language in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mercuryrising2 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:23 pm

i heard of this being brought up on WEEI. now, if we didn't have a guy like corey dillon on our team who came in with a similar reportaire, then i would be strongly against bringing moss in.

now with that being said, brady hasn't looked himself since branch left and look at our depleted WR corps. rookie chad jackson isn't ready and doesn't know the playbook. troy brown is not getting any younger. doug gabriel is typically a 2nd or 3rd receiver. and i'm not going to name anybody else. simply put, we don't have much. brady is going to do his usual by spreading the ball around to guys like watson, graham, gabriel, brown, maroney, & dillon. but we don't have a bonafide #1 receiver and we have an extra #1 draft choice which is what the raiders are looking for.

if a trade happens, look at it this way:
deion branch for randy moss....which side gets the better end of the deal?
mercuryrising2
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:18 pm

Dillon was one of my favorite players, even before he came to the Pats (I have a Dillon Bengals jersey to prove it). Moss has been another of my favorite players since his Viking days (again, I have the jersey to prove it). If we wind up with both, it will blow my mind.

Anyways, I think it would be a great move on both ends. Moss wants out of Oakland. He will be on a winning team, and the #1 target of one of the best QB's. The Pats will have found the WR they've needed. I don't think Moss is that big of a problem within a team, and certainly not with Belichik and the other veterans on the team. If this trade happens I have no doubt the Pats would be the best team in the league. They already have a lethal running game and their defense is pretty much healthy.
teddy ballgame
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:01 pm

Terrible idea - Dillon does not even compare to the malcontent that Moss is. And since when do the Pats need all of this star power? Does anyone remember their other SB runs? Did they have all-stars then? They now have a great running game and solid WR's - they arent going to put up staggering numbers but they are adequate.
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby APAP » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:54 pm

I;m all for Moss coming here, I think that would be great.

Imagine a Brady to Moss connection..........
APAP
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Dawinner127 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:03 pm

I think it would be a terrible idea. I think it would just destroy the chemistry of the team (I'm fine with that as a Jets fan).
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:03 pm

I think it would be a good idea. Moss will be fine as long as he goes to a team that can win, which the Patriots can. I say trade for him.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Red Sox Nation » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:31 pm

I think it wouldn't be good. Moss is the type of person who is probably a personal stats "freak" and I don't mean that in a bad way, but I have a feeling, he's going to want a lot of passes towards him and long yardage ones. IMO, Brady isn't that type of QB that connects on long passes and I'm sure Moss wants that.

About Dillon, I'm not a huge fan of him. However, I would love a Dillon for Moss deal but Oakland already has Jordan as a running back.

Regarding the WR problem. Chad Jackson is a projected #1 WR for the Pats (whenever he's healthy again...), Gabriel would be #2 next season provided he stays in the Patriots organization. We do have a lot of all-position players such as Vrabel (those short TD passes), Troy Brown (any position but offensive line you name it), Faulk, etc, so that should help us in times of need. Not to mention Ben Watson who is an amazing TE and Graham too.

IMO, having different people to pass too is what the Patriots is all about- mixing the WR corps up and for Brady to pass to different players. Personally, I'd like Moss to go to NE via trade but I think that would hurt the Pats WR chemistry unless he stays for the rest of his career.
New England Patriots :: 12-4
New Orleans Saints :: 10-6

[url=http://omgitspeter.googlepages.com/home]My Graphics[/url]

Red Sox Nation Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby sox 06 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:23 pm

I think the Pats need some WR but Moss isn't it, he is a good player but has that kind of TO "edge" to him, and we don't need that.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:41 pm

Red Sox Nation wrote:I think it wouldn't be good. Moss is the type of person who is probably a personal stats "freak" and I don't mean that in a bad way, but I have a feeling, he's going to want a lot of passes towards him and long yardage ones. IMO, Brady isn't that type of QB that connects on long passes and I'm sure Moss wants that.

About Dillon, I'm not a huge fan of him. However, I would love a Dillon for Moss deal but Oakland already has Jordan as a running back.

Regarding the WR problem. Chad Jackson is a projected #1 WR for the Pats (whenever he's healthy again...), Gabriel would be #2 next season provided he stays in the Patriots organization. We do have a lot of all-position players such as Vrabel (those short TD passes), Troy Brown (any position but offensive line you name it), Faulk, etc, so that should help us in times of need. Not to mention Ben Watson who is an amazing TE and Graham too.

IMO, having different people to pass too is what the Patriots is all about- mixing the WR corps up and for Brady to pass to different players. Personally, I'd like Moss to go to NE via trade but I think that would hurt the Pats WR chemistry unless he stays for the rest of his career.

Dillon for Moss isn't even an option...not sure where you got that. It would also be pretty bad for Maroney if Dillon was gone. He'd have to be the #1 and take more carries than he's ready for. Dillon and Marone is also a perfect combo of power and speed.
teddy ballgame
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Next

Return to New England Patriots