What would you guys think of a NO FREE AGENT rule? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What would you guys think of a NO FREE AGENT rule?

Moderator: Football Moderators

What would you guys think of a NO FREE AGENT rule?

Postby davus » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:44 am

I have been mulling over for the past couple of years whether it is more fair for every player to have to go through the waiver process before someone can pick him up.

The main reason why I think this would be good is that some people have advantages over others that I don't think should come into play in FF...

broadband over dialup
is a bachelor
has Sunday Ticket
etc.

Now...all of these things make it easier for someone to jump in and grab a Marcell Shipp the moment he hears that Emmitt goes down, for example.

Some cannot spend their entire day watching football. I actually have NOT lost out on picking up a guy that I wanted, so this isn't just sour grapes. However, I have watched my league's closely in the past several years and there are always one or two guys that are in there picking someone up within 5 minutes of an event occurring in a game like an injury. I just think that it is not 100% fair. Seems like waivers for all players would cut out this advantage.

What do you think?
davus

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:02 am

This is kind of a catch-22.

On the one hand, it's not fair that if someone has something they have to do on Sunday, they can't just sit there and scour the internet/tv for the first signs of injury/big games.

On the other hand, it's not fair that someone that doesn't care can pick up a guy off waivers the next day while someone that is hardcore into it, and does spend their time to scour the net/tv misses out even though he's the one that put forth the effort to do so.

I would think it kind of depends on your league. If everyone's completely active, and sometimes people have things they have to do on Sundays (I know, sad world we live in that someone would have to do something instead of watch football :p), then you may want to think about it. But, if you've got a couple inactives in there, free agents are a good way to make sure that the the people that are actually trying end up doing better than the people that really don't give a shit.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby davus » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:14 am

yeah, I know. It is a catch-22. I guess I kind of feel like all the hard work should go into your draft and then you ride out the draft to win the league, with mid-season pickups taking a secondary role.

Too many times in the past have I seen some guy jumping on every bit of news and of course you end up hooking up with a gem sometimes, like Shaun Alexander a couple of years ago, etc.

I don't like that someone can have a crappy draft and then win the league because they are watching 5 games at a time and are ready to jump at a moment's notice.
davus

Friendliness: %

Postby Rezen » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:49 am

In my league, rosters are locked from Sunday game time until Tuesday morning. ALL players that are free agents are put on the waiver wire, and claims are executed Wednesday morning.

That gives EVERYONE two days for all the dust to settle and strategize for the coming week, including roster moves, drops, adds, trades, etc.

I really like this format MUCH better than free for all... and I'm one of those that has Sunday Ticket, DSL, and spend every waking moment on Sunday watching all the different games using my wireless laptop and two TV's. heheh
Rezen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:55 am

See, I kinda think Tuesday is too long.

If someone goes down on Sunday, alot of times you don't know how bad it is. If it's a serious injury, you wanna grab their backup, but it could just be a day to day type thing. If someone wants to take the risk in picking up a backup that may never play, and drop a player that some other team might find useful, then that's a risk they should be able to take. The same kind of risk that takes place in the draft with last year's will Clinton Portis play, or this year's priest holmes injury, or Warner's rebounding, or price and boston's performances in their new towns.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:07 am

I think you are right. In my league, the waivers are as follows:
Standings are made by H2H record and points scored this year. Each team puts in waiver requests, and the team lowest on the standings gets him. Waivers are processes at Tue. and Thur. at noon, and after Thur. at 12:00 noon it is first come first serve. So that way, everybody gets a chance, witht the best team having the worst chance of getting the guy he wants.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

No Free Agents

Postby blueonion » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:25 am

I would prefer my league do away with free agents; lock the rosters at the kickoff of the first game and send every player through waivers (like ESPN does) after the whistle of the last game of the week. I think it is unfair for the aforementioned items mentioned in the opening post; bandwidth, being a bachelor, watching every game etc...etc...).

But we use the yahoo system and the other two commishes that make up our commitee came up with the following statement for our league:

"This is the All-Star Fantasy Football League; the best of the best (so we have a little to much testorone in our league, so sue me). Not only to we encourage everybody in the league to watch every game, we expect it. If you are joining this league to have fun, than this is the wrong league for you."

The BlueOnion
blueonion
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Paladyr » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:07 am

I'm one of the guys that watches every game and is the first to pick up players. I have more transactions than anyone else by the end of the year :). I would be all for doing this b/c we have people in our league that have to use someone else's computer just to log on to yahoo. I don't really think it is fair that I am at home near my computer whenever football is on. I guess it all depends on the league.
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Postby greatgretzky » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:22 am

I do nto agree with the statement that people should worry about the draft,t hen ride it out. yes the draft is the mos timportant thing, but not the only thing. only depending on the draft doesn;t work in the real nfl. part of the point of the game is to make advantageous free agent moves. otherwise, the game is not nearly as dynamic or fun. why should the guy who drafts well and then isn't as active be rewarded over a guy who makes a draft mistake, then stays engaged, active and uses FA to correct his mistake? both owners should be honored. That said, id on;t think ti should be a race tot he computer to get guys.
greatgretzky
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Paladyr » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:16 pm

Well there's another angle you can look at it. When you are looking through the FA list, sometimes you are having a tough time deciding whether or not you want to drop someone for a FA. If they are on waivers, you would have several days to make the decisions, but if they are just FA, ANYONE can pick them up so it forces you to make a decision as quickly as possible.

I dunno, maybe it is best to just leave them as FA.
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk