What would you guys think of a NO FREE AGENT rule? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What would you guys think of a NO FREE AGENT rule?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby RBonse » Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:54 pm

DITTO

Rezen wrote:In my league, rosters are locked from Sunday game time until Tuesday morning. ALL players that are free agents are put on the waiver wire, and claims are executed Wednesday morning.

That gives EVERYONE two days for all the dust to settle and strategize for the coming week, including roster moves, drops, adds, trades, etc.

I really like this format MUCH better than free for all... and I'm one of those that has Sunday Ticket, DSL, and spend every waking moment on Sunday watching all the different games using my wireless laptop and two TV's. heheh
RBonse
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby senseiosin » Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:04 pm

This is also how my league is set up, Wed morning excecutions of add/drops however we can make bench/active changes right up until 5 minutes of gametime. But since you cant add or drop new players, you would have to already have a player who's game also hasnt started to sub in for a guy who's a victim of a gametime descion or suspension. I dont see how its "unfair" that the guys with DSL, are bachelor's, have nothing else to do are able to keep up on news. I play in money leagues, if this was for fun I can see pretty much any system being fine. But when money is involved the most attentive and up to date owners SHOULD have the advantage, otherwise its all dumb luck how well you manage your team during the season.

I would like to see the waivers begin on kick off Sunday as mine currently does and then end as soon as the Monday Night game is over, with add/drops executed on Tuesday morning. That gives a little time to get your strategy in order but not too much time for every schmuck with an antenna television to see "breaking" news on their local sports show 2-4 days after it happens. The old phrase, you snooze you lose, holds true in Fantasy land....
The only thing we have to fear is.... another injured Denver RB!!!!!!!!
senseiosin
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:12 pm

It think a waiver process is fairest. Depending on the league type, I'd be more for a waiver that doesn't re-set every week based on standings. That sort of limits waiver claims, only a really tempting guy will be grabbed via waivers, and you go to the bottom of the list after.

Usually wednesday late afternoon the preliminary injury list comes out, seems a legit time to end the waiver period.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby BradtheImpaler » Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:32 pm

i for one am in favor of the free agent application....as many times as i have snipered some other guys back-up out of the free agent pool on a sunday afternoon, ive had it happen to me on quite a few occasions, and there are other factors to look at.

sometimes a free agent only gets in for a week or 2 so its not always that big of a deal....and also i seem to find better players in the long run during the week out of free agency, as opposed to vulturing those back-ups on sunday. so those sunday pick ups probably aint gonna be the reason that i win othe title or lose in the first round of the playoffs.

another point i wanna make is that fantasy football is a crazy game of chance, and you never know whats gonna happen...so let the dang chips fall where they may. i work my tail off with my team all week, making roster decisons and sorting thru stats and stats looking for new players, so why shouldnt i get a little extra desert come sunday even if its at my friends and league mates expenses.....I play to win the game.....not to be fair to everyone.

I am in an 8 team league with 7 friends, and we are so competative that the free agent pool is A bare cupboard, granted we use 3 IDP's each week and we have a roster consisting of 22 players, but its a mad dash for players....heck if i hear a rb has a cold, im gonna pick up his backup cause thats the nature of my league....its competative.....and in fantasy football, all men(teams) are not created equal.

alls fair in love war and fantays football!
oh and the last point i have to make is that the whole league is in favor of FA 24/7 the only waiver period we have is when a player gets dropped. so sue me for being biased....i missed out on getting FA players like bulger/boldin/shipp/ but i did get lamar gordon, and the guy who has an injured faulk is tied with me in the standings, so im not gonna complain about
BradtheImpaler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby sikoskul » Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:54 pm

In my league, we set a cap on waiver wire moves. Each team is allowed to make 25 WW pick ups for the year, about 1.5 moves per week. What this does is make each owner think twice about moves that he is about to make, and prevents the willy-nilly waiver moves that some people make. Already this season, we have two owners hitting the 16 move point, which only leaves them 9 more moves for the rest of the year. Being that most of us don't carry an extra kicker or defense, bye week moves also have to be taken into account. This move has allowed more owners to get in on backups who get called up than compared to last year.
sikoskul
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Wolverine » Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:47 pm

Honestly, the best way to play is with NO FREE AGENCY. It forces GM's to trade if they want to better their teams. I play in two leagues set up this way and it makes FF much more fun and challenging.

1) Start the season off with expanded rosters (18-20).

2) Somewhere around Week 4-8, host a supplemental draft of three rounds to pick up sleepers like Anquan Boldin that everyone missed in the preseason draft. Worst team picks first...no snake draft on this one.

In the end, each team has a roster of 21-24 depending on how you want to do it. If you can get this into a 12-team format, it is fun as hell because people will definitely have holes in their lineups as injuries occur. None of this pansy-ass waiver wire business, only trades or supplemental draftees can help your team out...otherwise play through injury with your bench.

Try it out next year and I guarantee you won't go back to enjoying free agency. ;-D Of note though, if you have this setup with a bunch of GM's who get disengaged with the season fast, it is sure to be a real yawner...for active leagues only!
Wolverine
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby The Gatekeeper » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:01 am

This is how I run my league on rtsports.com. I think it is by far the best way to do it. We have a waiver wire period that runs from Tuesday through Thursday. During this time all owners have the oppurtunity to get on the website and put in a wish list of players to pick up that week in order of preferance. Owners also list players they want to drop to make said pickups. Thursday at midnight players from the waiver wire are placed on teams in order of the current standings with the worst team getting the first choice and the best getting the last. After the waiver wire we do a free for all every Friday night that only lasts from 6PM-midnight. We figure this gives everybody a fair chance to be home from work and whatever else could hinder their ability to get online. We also do not allow any moves until after week 3 of the NFL season unless you have a major injury that you did not draft (draftnig Vick does not give you a move because he was already hurt on draft day).
The keeper will never let you pass!!!
The Gatekeeper
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk