Marty-ball on the way out???

Postby stomperrob » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:24 am

Interesting headline:

The San Diego Union-Tribune reported that Charger head coach Marty
Schottenheimer may not be in the team’s long-term plans and could be
replaced before the end of the season.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Marty-ball on the way out???

Postby Popcynical » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:26 am

stomperrob wrote:Interesting headline:

The San Diego Union-Tribune reported that Charger head coach Marty
Schottenheimer may not be in the team’s long-term plans and could be
replaced before the end of the season.

Hmm... interesting.

Although he didn't play too conservatively against the Steelers in the 4th quarter.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mrblitz » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:29 am

Obviously, as long as they are winning, they won't do anything this year.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby stomperrob » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:52 am

Just found the full story:

How will Spanos react when Marty ball returns?
UNION-TRIBUNE
October 13, 2006

Union-Tribune
Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer plays it safe on offense -and that's not going to change. But when club President Dean Spanos declined to support his coach, it proved the Chargers are still not all on the same page.

The local villagers have extinguished their torches and returned to their lives, still wary of the monster known as Martyball, but willing to ignore it as long as it stays out of sight.

Which it won't.

Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer is nothing if not consistent, and after three decades of playing conservatively on offense, he's not going to go from red to blue overnight, regardless of the size and intensity of the mob outside his walls.

So, look to see Martyball again. It might not be this week or next, or even a month from now, but it will return. And when it does, it'll be interesting to see how club President Dean Spanos will react.
Spanos handled the situation poorly last week, the day after Schottenheimer sat on a small second-half lead at Baltimore and lost a game he should have won. Asked about it, Spanos told Union-Tribune beat writer Kevin Acee that it was “too early” to officially address Schottenheimer's status.

Come again? The Chargers lose one game, by three points, on the road, against an undefeated team that some consider a Super Bowl contender, and instead of publicly supporting his coach – while privately expressing his concerns – Spanos created an air of mystery and uncertainty at a time when the organization should have been circling the wagons.

Spanos could have grabbed his “Ownerspeak 101” manual and pulled out a number of responsible answers, including: “Marty Schottenheimer is our coach and I'm 100 percent behind him!” But that would have been too easy, too right.

The interesting thing about the “too early” response is that Spanos is the one who gave Schottenheimer the fat contract extension in early 2005, after Schottenheimer guided the team to a 12-4 record and its first playoff appearance in nine years. Believe me, that nearly $8 million extension (over two years) was not the brainchild of General Manager A.J. Smith.

Perhaps Spanos didn't mean to undercut his coach after the Baltimore game, but he did. By failing to make a declarative statement, he created the impression that there could be change during the season, if not after. Such uncertainty is the last thing any organization needs during the impressionable stage of a season.

But maybe that's the way Spanos likes to govern. Keep everyone on edge. Never let them get too comfortable. He declined an interview request to discuss the situation.

Trying to predict the future is always risky. But it's a safe bet that the Chargers will have a hard time winning a championship when cracks continue to appear in their foundation. It's time for the innuendo and intimations to stop, as it relates to Schottenheimer's job security.

If Spanos believes in his coach, he should say so and stand behind him. If he doesn't believe Schottenheimer is the right guy, he should fire him and move on. Simple as that.

It's time for everyone to get on the same page and, as coaches like to say, pull in the same direction. Because the reality is that the villagers will return. They always do when it comes to Schottenheimer and his offenses.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jim Trotter: (619) 293-1859; mailto:jim.trotter@uniontrib.com
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby maddog60 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:08 pm

I think it only a matter of time. He's been there awhile without bringing a talented team very far, and I do recall Marty standing by Brees during the off-season, so with the GM getting his way, the management may want more people who are on the same page.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:20 pm

The owner is an idiot.

Marty is one of the most successful coaches in NFL history. And most successful coaches employ the same conservative strategy. Defense and eat up clock by rushing.

I just can't imagine favoring an aggressive no playoff making approach over a conservative playoff making one. Just doesn't make sense to me.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Moses » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:25 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:The owner is an idiot.

Marty is one of the most successful coaches in NFL history. And most successful coaches employ the same conservative strategy. Defense and eat up clock by rushing.

I just can't imagine favoring an aggressive no playoff making approach over a conservative playoff making one. Just doesn't make sense to me.

People want to see high scoring games nowadays. Higher scoring offenses=More exciting game=more people coming out to see the game. I wouldn't want to go to a Chargers game against the Ravens or Steelers and have the game end with a score of 6-3. Even if Marty is doing a great job, which he is, he still wont make it much longer as head coach of the Chargers. Not to mention, If the Chargers play conservatively all the time..they probably wont win the AFC. Sometimes you just have to air it out.
Last edited by Moses on Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moses
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:26 pm

maddog60 wrote:I think it only a matter of time. He's been there awhile without bringing a talented team very far, and I do recall Marty standing by Brees during the off-season, so with the GM getting his way, the management may want more people who are on the same page.

I agree with the its only a matter of time thing because the owner is an idiot.

However I don't consider the Chargers as being extremly talented. They don't really have an oline. In fact if you recall a few years back when LT shreded about every defense in the league they were supposed to be the worst. They have no decent WR's except Gates who Marty developed. Their D is solid which is one of the facets of Martyball. The reason it is solid is because of the draft picks Marty made and his coaching. And their QB is just average but will progress because Marty is a solid coach. Look what he did with Brees. The guy was a nobody before SD.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:29 pm

Moses wrote:

People want to see high scoring games nowadays. Higher scoring offenses=More exciting game=more people coming out to see the game. I wouldn't want to go to a Chargers game against the Ravens or Steelers and have the game end with a score of 6-3. Even if Marty is doing a great job, which he is, he still wont make it much longer as head coach of the Chargers. Not to mention, If the Chargers play conservatively all the time..they probably wont win the AFC. Sometimes you just have to air it out.

Great. Just expect the team to go nowhere if they employ that strategy. Most people who know football understand that Defense and being able to rush the ball is the key to winning the Super Bowl. See the Colts or recent Rams for an example.

My preference is winning games not putting up big points. Wait till the fans see a high scoring offense fail to eclipse .500.
Cowboys 4 life

Postby Moses » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:31 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:
Moses wrote:

Great. Just expect the team to go nowhere if they employ that strategy. Most people who know football understand that Defense and being able to rush the ball is the key to winning the Super Bowl. See the Colts or recent Rams for an example.

My preference is winning games not putting up big points. Wait till the fans see a high scoring offense fail to eclipse .500.

I know that defense and the running game is vital to playoff sucess..I'm just saying that fans don't want to see low scoring games. The NFL is going through measures to make defenses be able to do less and less.
Moses
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk