Marty-ball on the way out??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Marty-ball on the way out???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:38 pm

Moses wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:
Moses wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:The owner is an idiot.

Marty is one of the most successful coaches in NFL history. And most successful coaches employ the same conservative strategy. Defense and eat up clock by rushing.

I just can't imagine favoring an aggressive no playoff making approach over a conservative playoff making one. Just doesn't make sense to me.

People want to see high scoring games nowadays. Higher scoring offenses=More exciting game=more people coming out to see the game. I wouldn't want to go to a Chargers game against the Ravens or Steelers and have the game end with a score of 6-3. Even if Marty is doing a great job, which he is, he still wont make it much longer as head coach of the Chargers. Not to mention, If the Chargers play conservatively all the time..they probably wont win the AFC. Sometimes you just have to air it out.

Great. Just expect the team to go nowhere if they employ that strategy. Most people who know football understand that Defense and being able to rush the ball is the key to winning the Super Bowl. See the Colts or recent Rams for an example.

My preference is winning games not putting up big points. Wait till the fans see a high scoring offense fail to eclipse .500.

I know that defense and the running game is vital to playoff sucess..I'm just saying that fans don't want to see low scoring games. The NFL is going through measures to make defenses be able to do less and less.

I agree with you there. Last Monday night was horrible. And I prefer watching high scoring games. But in the end if they are scoring a lot and losing I lose interest. What I'm getting at is there is a balance that has to be met.

Look at SF this year. They are an exciting team to watch because they put up a high amount of yards and points but at the same time they are going to win a maximum of 6 games because they have no defense. So yah the game was exciting but they lost and the fans go home dissapointed.

I just think the Owner doesn't realize that you can put an exciting team on the field but if you don't win games they will eventually find something else to do.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby virgil22 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:24 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:
Moses wrote:

Marty is one of the most successful coaches in NFL history. And most successful coaches employ the same conservative strategy. Defense and eat up clock by rushing.

I just can't imagine favoring an aggressive no playoff making approach over a conservative playoff making one. Just doesn't make sense to me.

People want to see high scoring games nowadays. Higher scoring offenses=More exciting game=more people coming out to see the game. I wouldn't want to go to a Chargers game against the Ravens or Steelers and have the game end with a score of 6-3. Even if Marty is doing a great job, which he is, he still wont make it much longer as head coach of the Chargers. Not to mention, If the Chargers play conservatively all the time..they probably wont win the AFC. Sometimes you just have to air it out.

Great. Just expect the team to go nowhere if they employ that strategy. Most people who know football understand that Defense and being able to rush the ball is the key to winning the Super Bowl. See the Colts or recent Rams for an example.

My preference is winning games not putting up big points. Wait till the fans see a high scoring offense fail to eclipse .500.

I'm sure Martz would take another head coaching gig. :-t
12 Team
Roethlisberger
Addai, Jones-Drew, T. Jones, K. Smith, Slaton, Bradshaw
Colston, Berrian, Burleson, B. Johnson, A. Gonzalez, Meacham
L.J. Smith
Buffalo
virgil22
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby V-unit » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:21 pm

i say stick with Marty Ball for the entire season and in the playoffs surprise the heck out of the playoff teams by airing it out. ;-D
Starting Linup for 2007
QB:M.Schaub*,J.Cambell,J.Dellhomme(IR)
RB:L.Tomlinson*,Rudi Johnson*,E.Grahm,C.WIlliams(IR)
WR:S.Smith*,Roy Williams*,G.Jennings,N.Burleson
WR/TE:A.Gates*,D.Clark
K:S.M.Grokaswkie NE K*,S.Grahm
D:SD*,Tennesee
V-unit
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Kilroy » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:21 pm

Oh yeah, Marty's great. Right up until the playoffs start.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Marty gone after the season following another playoff disappointment (which is Schottenheimer's specialty). You know it wouldn't break the GMs heart to see Marty canned, and an early playoff exit might be just the excuse Smith is looking for to lobby for Schottenheimer's dismissal.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby maddog60 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:49 pm

Moses wrote:People want to see high scoring games nowadays. Higher scoring offenses=More exciting game=more people coming out to see the game. I wouldn't want to go to a Chargers game against the Ravens or Steelers and have the game end with a score of 6-3.

Yes high scoring games are exciting and fans love it, but nothing sells better than winning. Winning means more advertising deals, more jersey sales, more season ticket holders. Any long-term thinking owner wants a winning franchise, because a perennial contender makes money, big play or no big play.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Football Talk