Buy Lows - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Buy Lows

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Dawinner127 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:40 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Shaun Alexander- I am pretty big on trading for players while they are injured, since their value is so low.

That's very dangerous. Very good if it works, but very risky because you waste spot on your roster if they are out for a while
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Smee » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:29 am

My team is injured wrote:
DevilDriver wrote:Jamal Lewis

no, absolutely not in my book.. then again, I drafted him and just cut him this past week... in a PPR league with a bench size of only 4 and bye weeks here, I couldn't hold onto him any longer..

regardless, he has little value in most leagues IMO (even worse in PPR)... he can't run the ball anymore and doesn't catch the ball... mike anderson and musa smith look better when given the touches, and I expect to see them start getting more playing time after the bye... everyone (including jamal himself) says that lewis does better when he gets more touches but that is not the problem... you can give him 25 touches now and he'll be lucky to top 80, 85 yds..

oh, and for the person who said tatum bell... good luck trying to get him as a buy-low guy now.. most tatum owners don't seem to be budging much on moving him now

I don't see why he's not gettin as many carries as he has in the past. He hasn't been someone who'll rip a D right from the opening gun, he'd wear on the D and bust some runs in the fourth quarter.

I haven't been able to watch any of his games thus far, but I don't see why they haven't been leaning on him. Now with McNair banged up they need to lean on him more.
Smee
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby skinsfan » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:07 am

I like McGahee right now. The Bills offense is ready to take the next step IMO. I'm trying a Fred Taylor deal for him. And his playoff schedule (NYJ, MIA, TEN for 14-16) is very sweet.
Skins fan through thick and thin.
skinsfan
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Daddymike59 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:02 am

Dawinner127 wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Shaun Alexander- I am pretty big on trading for players while they are injured, since their value is so low.

That's very dangerous. Very good if it works, but very risky because you waste spot on your roster if they are out for a while

I wouldn't consider SA a waste of a roster spot especially when most people carry at least 2 te's or a spot that they use just for ww pickups. I , for that matter wouldn't consider SA being a buy low candidate.

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby My team is injured » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:36 am

Smee wrote:I don't see why he's not gettin as many carries as he has in the past. He hasn't been someone who'll rip a D right from the opening gun, he'd wear on the D and bust some runs in the fourth quarter.

I haven't been able to watch any of his games thus far, but I don't see why they haven't been leaning on him. Now with McNair banged up they need to lean on him more.

I disagree... I think they should lean on him less and utilize mike anderson and musa more to try and get the running game going... the talk about him getting more carries will get him going is simply not true, at least not to the extent people imply.. I posted what's below recently in another thread on jamal

Stats from the first half of the games to second half of the games in his first 3 seasons in which he was one of the league's top RBs:

___________1st half____________2nd half_____
Year___Ru___Yds___Avg_____Ru___Yds___Avg
2000:__166__788___4.75____143__576___4.03 (16 games)
2002:__155__611___3.94____153__716___4.68 (16 games)
2003:__206__1067__5.18____171__965___5.64 (16 games)

compared to last year and the first 4 games of this season:

___________1st half____________2nd half_____
Year___Ru___Yds___Avg_____Ru___Yds___Avg
2005:__152__450___2.96____115__450___3.91 (15 games)
2006:__38___132___3.47____35___136___3.89 (4 games)

he was much more successful earlier in his career in the first half than he has been recently... his 38 carries so far this season project to 152, which leaves him with about the same number of carries this season and last that he had in 2000 and 2002 in the first half.. yet he used to be much better YPC in the first half his first 3 years.. in fact, his worst YPC in the first half in his first 3 seasons (3.94) is better than either of his second half YPC averages from this season and last

additionally, his 35 second half carries this season project to 140 for the season, which would put him right in the ballpark with his 143 and 153 second half carries in 2000 and 2002, respectively... if jamal lewis simply gets one more carry per game in the first half and one more carry per game in the second half the rest of this season, he will finish with 164 first half carries and 152 second half carries, which will more than put him in line with his rushing attempts from his first 2 seasons... does anyone actually think that single extra carry per half will bump up his YPC numbers to match those first 2 seasons?
All of my analysis is based on PPR
My team is injured
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:12 pm

FatFoot wrote:I'm about to attempt a sell high on KJ for a buy low of SA this week. Probably gets rejected, but I'm crossing my fingers.

HUGE mistake. Look at the Detroit upcoming schedule and KJ's past few games.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:14 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
jdsun1 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Chad Johnson hasn't been himself and neither has his QB. They'll probably come back to their usual selves eventually. You could probably grab Chris Chambers real cheap, even with the TD this weekend, if you believe Dolphins can learn to block. McGahee, Gore and Rudi all had bad games....

Gore did not have a bad game. When its all said and done he still had 5 yards per carry. Just because his team did bad doesnt mean he did.

I hadn't noticed his receiving when I typed that. Still, by fantasy standards, he did not perform as an owner would like. He had a good NFL game, but not a good fantasy game.

Against the San Diego? That was a GOOD game by my standards for a fantasy RB. Still, Gore is losing some value in goalline situations to Michael Robinson. That much is clear. Still a solid RB#2 with RB#1 upside due to his receiving. Think Fred Taylor like numbers in 2003.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby coNFLict » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:54 pm

EDGE
coNFLict
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Howie » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:38 pm

Is Randy Moss a buy low or a guy to avoid at all costs?
Howie
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:21 pm

The first players that come to mind are all WR's....

CJ, Hines Ward, R. Moss, S. Moss, Chambers, Driver, etc.
Sp_Da_Man
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to Football Talk