What your league should do about the TB Defense debacle. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What your league should do about the TB Defense debacle.

Moderator: Football Moderators

What your league should do about the TB Defense debacle.

Postby Azrael » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:25 am

Looks like we have 2 arguments here:

1. The offense should stay offense for the duration of a play and the defense should stay defense for the duration of the play, thus this negates the McCardell TD being scored for TB Def.

2. Once the ball changes possession, the other team becomes the defense, thus the TD should count for Tampa's defense.

The problem with argument No. 1 is (IMO), and I think according to technical football rules, the team with possession of the ball is ALWAYS the offense. I don't believe there is a such thing as a defensive touchdown. However, if we used this theory the defensive team could never score in fantasy. So we try to create these boundaries to keep track of score for a game we made that sort of clashes with actual football rules. I think you will be hard pressed to find a hard and fast answer to this question (i.e. was it offensive or defensive), because in the real world no one cares who actually scored it. There weren't any rules created to determine whether on a given play if this or that happens, "should we consider this guy to be offensive or defensive?," because that's irrelevant to what actually matters, that the TD was legally scored.

The problem with argument No. 2 is that this doesn't make sense for fantasy football, somewhat like but hardly mentioned "intentional safety". Some would argue that the defense didn't actually score the points and some would argue that the points go somewhere and the defensive unit was on the field at the time. Likewise, some argue that the offense became the defense and some would argue that the defense should score only when the defensive unit is on the field.

In trying to mesh football rules with fantasy logic, it's created somewhat of a standoff. If this situation affected your game in a win versus loss fashion, I think the best thing to do would be for the commissioner to rule (if possible) the game a tie and establish how it will be ruled for your league in subsequent occurrances.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:27 am

I think it is just a matter of opinion. I go with #2. The Offense became the D. but no use in arguing.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Azrael » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:56 am

P.S. Fanball finalized it as a defensive TD and I won 63-60 in that league. Yahoo is still showing as a defensive TD as well.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:59 am

It's a defensive TD. Change of posession.

CBS Sportsline just put out a bulletin saying it's a defensive TD and explained it.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:07 am

Im sick, the INT cost me 2 points, then the return TD and extra point kicked both went against me, I lost my game this week because of it.
Oh well, theres always next week.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby beerman » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:23 am

well mccardell was my reciever last night and i think he should get points because he scored the touchdown!
beerman
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby KnightWhoSaysNi » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:46 am

It was always my assumption that when you draft a Defense/Special Teams, the only way that part of your lineup could score points is when either the defense or the special teams were on the field ... maybe that is what I get for assuming.

Ni

KwsN
KnightWhoSaysNi Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby jebatzel » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:53 am

Yeah I agreed, even if I was a defensive TD he still scored it.

JB
jebatzel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KingGhidra » Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:13 pm

I think logically and realistically, the DEF/ST should only score if Defensive or Special Teams players are on the field. When you draft the Tampa Bay Defense, you're drafting Rice, Sapp and those guys, not McCardell.

Of course, this should be decided on BEFORE the season starts, not now. =)
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Bukoski77 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:08 pm

Yet another reason to play IDP leagues. Individual Defensive Players. That way a touchdown is a touchdown regardless and defenders get points for tackles, sacks, etc.... and regardless of if they are ruled an offensve player a touchdown is counted.
"At 60 yards it wont be a record FG distance, It will however set a record for longest post field goal celebration if Gramatica makes it."

Al Michaels, in reference to a Gramatica 60YRD field goal attempt week 5(2003 season) of Monday Night Football.
Bukoski77
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk