MVP Candidates? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

MVP Candidates?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby skinsfan » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:04 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:why shouldnt there still be grossman supporters out there? so what he had a bad game. last night was only the guys 14th start in the NFL, his maturation is still leaps and bounds ahead of where everyone thought it would be.

I see McNabb as the favorite, but like I said earlier, I like Brees to win it all. Nothing happens in New Orleans without him. It's tough for Grossman to win it because the real MVP there is the defense, and even when they score 40, everyone knows why they're winning.

Manning does have to be in the conversation, but I just don't see him happening unless he has more game-winning runs and the like.
Skins fan through thick and thin.
skinsfan
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:05 pm

actually no wideout has ever won the award.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:07 pm

its awfully hard for a wideout, because they are reactive, rather than proactive players. People think that if you are reactive and passive, you must not be as important as the people forcing the issue.

I don't necessarily agree, but I think that is an impediment to a wr being named mvp. If Rice never won it, its hard to argue that anyone since should be.

I don't think last night helped sexy rexy's case one bit. 6 turnovers? Wow.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:08 pm

skinsfan wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:why shouldnt there still be grossman supporters out there? so what he had a bad game. last night was only the guys 14th start in the NFL, his maturation is still leaps and bounds ahead of where everyone thought it would be.

I see McNabb as the favorite, but like I said earlier, I like Brees to win it all. Nothing happens in New Orleans without him. It's tough for Grossman to win it because the real MVP there is the defense, and even when they score 40, everyone knows why they're winning.

Manning does have to be in the conversation, but I just don't see him happening unless he has more game-winning runs and the like.

yea well im not saying rex should be the leading vote getter, im just saying he's still in the conversation. id probably put him foutrth behind dmac, brees and peyton.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:11 pm

Retet wrote:I like Steve Smith as MVP this year -- with credit to Brees, McNabb, and Rex.

If the season trends continue, Carolina will be the front-runner in the NFC (along with the Bears) that many thought they would. And that success will be credited largely to Steve Smith's return -- (0-2) before he played.

I agree with the above poster. WRs rarely win MVPs. The last non-RB/QB to win was Jerry Rice in 1987 and the AP chose Elway that year.

Also, if the season trends continue, then the Saints would win the South and Carolina would be fighting for a wild card with a bunch of contenders that have definite playoff shots.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby skinsfan » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:13 pm

eaglesrule wrote:its awfully hard for a wideout, because they are reactive, rather than proactive players. People think that if you are reactive and passive, you must not be as important as the people forcing the issue.

I don't necessarily agree, but I think that is an impediment to a wr being named mvp. If Rice never won it, its hard to argue that anyone since should be.

I don't think last night helped sexy rexy's case one bit. 6 turnovers? Wow.

If the process for MVP were more fair, I even think that Moss would've had a pretty good shot at it last year. Not only were his stats excellent, quite a few of his catches were game-winning scores, expecially his amazing game against Dallas in week 2 (14-13 Washington). That his name wasn't brought up in MVP talks shows that a WR simply can't win the award.
Skins fan through thick and thin.
skinsfan
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Twisted Sister » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:19 pm

Two words - Steve Smith

If any WR was going to get it last year, it had to be Steve.

Props to SA for his TD runs, but I think Tiki should have gotten the award.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Brandaddy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:21 pm

kingctb27 wrote:

MVP's don't have games like that, period.

according to about the 30 bear fans i work with grossman is now leading in the mvp voting. "only an mvp can throw 4 ints and still win a game"

he is ahead of where people thought he would be but i see him struggling the next few weeks unless the bears learn that they are a run based team not pass on 1st down team. their d is the mvp scoring 2 tds for em, or even gould atleast he can score against the cardinals :-°
Brandaddy
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:25 pm

didn't the bears offense not score a point?

How did Rex"win the game"

I think winning counts, but sometimes a QB's record is not because of him, its despite of him.

My point on WR's is simply that with so many players who initiate the play, and with how everyone knows how important QB's and Rb's, as well as some elite Defensive players, it is sometimes hard to justify.

Steve Smith is in the mix.

But if all else is equal, they are going to give it to the QB. Its kind of like how a reliever will almost never win the Cy Young. The moons have to align, because frankly, if you started a draft of every nfl team, everyone had a blank slate, It would almost all be qb's right off the top.

Who knows though, this is only a third done basically.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Luca Brasi » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:25 pm

Brian Urlacher. He is the fastest, smartest, strongest linebacker out there, but that's not why he deserves MVP. He is a proven leader and the Bears would be nowhere without him.

"Why is a Fighting Illini considered politically incorrect, but not a Fighting Irish?"
Luca Brasi
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 10)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk