spanish commercial - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

spanish commercial

Moderator: Football Moderators

spanish commercial

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:55 am

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that while watching AMERICAN football on fox, there is a commercial completely in spanish? The one with Tony Gonzalez.

Dont get me wrong, I am not racist or anything, I just have a problem with people who move to a country and cant bother to learn the language. The fact that there is a spanish speaking commerical on AMERICAN tv just shows how many people cant seem to do that.

I dont know spanish, but if i decide to move to spain some day, you can bet I will learn the language.

Sorry, dont mean to rant, it just makes me sick that this is what this country has come to. Airing spanish commericals on american TV.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: spanish commercial

Postby knapplc » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:10 am

J_rob_the_ Baller wrote:Is anyone else bothered by the fact that while watching AMERICAN football on fox, there is a commercial completely in spanish? The one with Tony Gonzalez.

Dont get me wrong, I am not racist or anything, I just have a problem with people who move to a country and cant bother to learn the language. The fact that there is a spanish speaking commerical on AMERICAN tv just shows how many people cant seem to do that.

I dont know spanish, but if i decide to move to spain some day, you can bet I will learn the language.

Sorry, dont mean to rant, it just makes me sick that this is what this country has come to. Airing spanish commericals on american TV.

I completely agree, JRob. I have no illusions that every person who emigrates to the States should know the language, but I do expect them to make an honest effort to learn it once they get here.

Especially with Spanish I see people coming here and retaining their "mother tongue" for two and three generations. One nation, one language will make us more unified and stronger in the end.

I think it's fantastic that people bring their culture with them when they emigrate, but the language - please leave that at the border.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Cooner » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:04 am

since when does the US have a national language? Oh wait, we don't. Requiring them to learn English is no different from requiring you to learn Spanish...

(but then again, I thought tolerance and the desire to learn more about and respect other people was what made America such a cool place to be.) ;-) (said with tongue planted firmly in cheek)

That said... I definitely think that all immigrants should make an effort to learn English- it allows them to get to know other cultures and others around them. Personally, I live in New York in a largely Hispanic neighborhood. I'm doing my best to pick up rudimentary Spanish, so that I can learn more about their culture and them. It may sound corny, but more education can never hurt...
Best... fantasy advice... EVER. :D

[quote]Always play the players who will get you the most points[/quote]
Cooner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:10 am

Cooner wrote:since when does the US have a national language? Oh wait, we don't. Requiring them to learn English is no different from requiring you to learn Spanish...

(but then again, I thought tolerance and the desire to learn more about and respect other people was what made America such a cool place to be.) ;-) (said with tongue planted firmly in cheek)

That said... I definitely think that all immigrants should make an effort to learn English- it allows them to get to know other cultures and others around them. Personally, I live in New York in a largely Hispanic neighborhood. I'm doing my best to pick up rudimentary Spanish, so that I can learn more about their culture and them. It may sound corny, but more education can never hurt...

The Founding Fathers couldn't envision ALL future necessities. They missed this one, but back then it wasn't deemed to be an issue - it was a given what language would be spoken back then. We can't fault them for not anticipating this, nor can we say it's not a big deal now because they didn't.

If you ask any nation in the world what the "language of America" is, they'll tell you it's English. Simply because we've never drafted explicit legislation about this doesn't mean anything.

I am 100% for Immigrants and for the diversity in culture which they bring. I just want them to make a reasonable effort to speak the language we speak. That's not too much to ask.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mysticphysh » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:23 am

you guys completely missed the point of that commercial. It was a promotion of latin heritage. That's why it was in spanish. I'm a believer in if you want to be here, learn english, but that had nothing to do with that commerical.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby skinsfan » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:23 am

I'm bothered to see ads in any non-english language on an english channel. I speak Spanish and live in a city with a huge Spanish population, but the principle bothers me. And, for the record, I'm not one of those gripers who thinks that too much information is offered in two languages or who believes that hispanohablantes actually DON'T want to learn english.

I'd be just as bothered if we had an ad in Japanese or Arabic. I don't mind ads in other languages geared to an english-speaking audience (UPS ads for their ability to ship internationally, for example), but this ad has its place on Telemundo or any other Spanish channel.
Skins fan through thick and thin.
skinsfan
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Where's Ryan Leaf? » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:48 am

Why do you care? So what you have to spend 30 seconds watching a commercial you don't understand. Does it really affect you? Use that time to grab a beer or something.

Oh, and anytime you have to include the phrase, "I'm not a racist or anything..." you're starting down a shady road.

I hope this thread is eaten soon. It's not about football anymore.
"I love me some me"
Where's Ryan Leaf?
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Solsombra » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:48 am

Nevermind the television, I would like to see some foriegn language threads in the Cafe forum. The extreme English bias here can only serve to alienate and marginalize the non-English speaking FF demographic. ;-7
Fantasy Football- the divine harbinger of Autumn
Solsombra
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby skinsfan » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:11 pm

Solsombra wrote:Nevermind the television, I would like to see some foriegn language threads in the Cafe forum. The extreme English bias here can only serve to alienate and marginalize the non-English speaking FF demographic. ;-7

Es verdad.
Skins fan through thick and thin.
skinsfan
General Manager
General Manager

Postby matmat » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:28 pm

Where's Ryan Leaf? wrote:Why do you care? So what you have to spend 30 seconds watching a commercial you don't understand. Does it really affect you? Use that time to grab a beer or something.

Oh, and anytime you have to include the phrase, "I'm not a racist or anything..." you're starting down a shady road.

I hope this thread is eaten soon. It's not about football anymore.

Seconded.
Now. Also, I thought it was called "Football" in this country, not "American Football".
When the constitution was being written were there not significant Spanish and French influences on the continent? how come those were not specifically mentioned? (or native languages, for that matter)
finally, even if you do feel that strongly about there being a national languag, WHY would that apply to television commercials or television programming -- that's entertainment? (written law, sure, voting ballots OK -- of course it doesn't at this point, i'm
just sayin' tho...)

They can take out ads and have programs in martian for all I care...
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk