spanish commercial - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

spanish commercial

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:29 pm

I dont care about the commericial itself, whatever its intentions, who cares. BUT, a spanish speaking commecial should be aired on a spanish speaking channel.

The fact that there are enough non english speaking people in this country that we have to air a commercial in spanish is what bothers me.

And anyone who says that america has no national language is an idiot. Maybe its not on paper, but its english.

We have spanish TV, and we call it the spanish channel. Do we call the rest of the channels the English channels? No, because if its not the spanish channel, or italian channel, or whatever, then its just implied its in english, because thats what language we speak here.

The commercial itself does not bother me, I am all for promoting latin heritage. But, if we are going to prmote latin heritage in a country that prodominatly speaks english, then it should be done in english. Or it should be on the spanish channels

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby matmat » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:37 pm

J_rob_the_ Baller wrote:I dont care about the commericial itself, whatever its intentions, who cares. BUT, a spanish speaking commecial should be aired on a spanish speaking channel.

The fact that there are enough non english speaking people in this country that we have to air a commercial in spanish is what bothers me.

this seems to contradict your earlier statement of "I'm not a racist or anything"

J_rob_the_ Baller wrote:We have spanish TV, and we call it the spanish channel. Do we call the rest of the channels the English channels? No, because if its not the spanish channel, or italian channel, or whatever, then its just implied its in english, because thats what language we speak here.

it is just your ignorance here. There are multiple spanish channels. Some cultural, some sports, veriety etc. And fwiw, they have some ads in English from time to time, so they have to put up with your language too. And who, exactly, is this "we" that speaks this language? have you been to parts of NYC where you'd be lost without spanish? same thing in LA, southern florida too... Just because you're living in a pure-language area doesn't mean the rest of the US is so.

J_rob_the_ Baller wrote:The commercial itself does not bother me, I am all for promoting latin heritage. But, if we are going to prmote latin heritage in a country that prodominatly speaks english, then it should be done in english. Or it should be on the spanish channels

I don't speak spanish, and the ad doesn't bother me at all. But it makes sense that perhaps it should air on the english speaking channel to try to remind some of the hispanic people that are switching over to the more mainstream lifestyle that they have a strong heritage?
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:09 pm

matmat wrote:
J_rob_the_ Baller wrote:I dont care about the commericial itself, whatever its intentions, who cares. BUT, a spanish speaking commecial should be aired on a spanish speaking channel.

this seems to contradict your earlier statement of "I'm not a racist or anything"

Here is how its different. I dont have a problem with latin people, canadian people, muslim people, purple people, whatever. I do however have a problem with ANYONE who moves to a different country and does not learn the native language.

By "we" I mean english speaking Citizens of the USA

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Redskins Win » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:14 pm

matmat wrote:
Where's Ryan Leaf? wrote:Why do you care? So what you have to spend 30 seconds watching a commercial you don't understand. Does it really affect you? Use that time to grab a beer or something.

Oh, and anytime you have to include the phrase, "I'm not a racist or anything..." you're starting down a shady road.

I hope this thread is eaten soon. It's not about football anymore.

Seconded.
Now. Also, I thought it was called "Football" in this country, not "American Football".
When the constitution was being written were there not significant Spanish and French influences on the continent? how come those were not specifically mentioned? (or native languages, for that matter)
finally, even if you do feel that strongly about there being a national languag, WHY would that apply to television commercials or television programming -- that's entertainment? (written law, sure, voting ballots OK -- of course it doesn't at this point, i'm
just sayin' tho...)

They can take out ads and have programs in martian for all I care...

thirded. change the channel or If you don't like it buy your own TV station and put whatever comercials you want on there.

a national language is a PR ploy to hype voting.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby benjapage » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:19 pm

folks, spanish will be the majority language in the next 20 years. latinos will be the majority in that same time.

get with the program.

yes, i feel better about this than i do about the intolerance stated above.

b
benjapage
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby knapplc » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:27 pm

Redskins Win wrote:
matmat wrote:
Where's Ryan Leaf? wrote:Why do you care? So what you have to spend 30 seconds watching a commercial you don't understand. Does it really affect you? Use that time to grab a beer or something.

Oh, and anytime you have to include the phrase, "I'm not a racist or anything..." you're starting down a shady road.

Seconded.
Now. Also, I thought it was called "Football" in this country, not "American Football".
When the constitution was being written were there not significant Spanish and French influences on the continent? how come those were not specifically mentioned? (or native languages, for that matter)
finally, even if you do feel that strongly about there being a national languag, WHY would that apply to television commercials or television programming -- that's entertainment? (written law, sure, voting ballots OK -- of course it doesn't at this point, i'm
just sayin' tho...)

thirded. change the channel or If you don't like it buy your own TV station and put whatever comercials you want on there.

Then why do over half the countries in the world have an "official language?" :-?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby matmat » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:01 pm

knapplc wrote:Then why do over half the countries in the world have an "official language?" :-?

because they do not profess themselves to be melting pots and tolerant of other cultures, which, as time goes on, appears to be a gross exageration for the US as well.
besides, what does "official language" have to do with television? do you really think your media is government run? even in the states that do have official languages that only applies to official government documents and language of instruction in public schools ,etc. And please, if someone wants to teach math in spanish in the US, that's fine by me.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby matmat » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:06 pm

J_rob_the_ Baller wrote:Here is how its different. I dont have a problem with latin people, canadian people, muslim people, purple people, whatever. I do however have a problem with ANYONE who moves to a different country and does not learn the native language.

By "we" I mean english speaking Citizens of the USA

uhmmm...

J_rob_the_ Baller wrote:The fact that there are enough non english speaking people in this country that we have to air a commercial in spanish is what bothers me.

come again?
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Redskins Win » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:13 pm

knapplc wrote:
Redskins Win wrote:
matmat wrote:

Seconded.
just sayin' tho...)

Then why do over half the countries in the world have an "official language?" :-?

Gee i guess that makes it right. here's your answer . . . they're stoopid. do you think people have to ask what language they speak in england, france, germany, austria, italy, freakin mexico for that matter? so when someone asks what language do they speak in america it shouldn't be that difficult to answer. we speak americanese damnit.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:18 pm

knapplc wrote:
Cooner wrote:since when does the US have a national language? Oh wait, we don't. Requiring them to learn English is no different from requiring you to learn Spanish...

(but then again, I thought tolerance and the desire to learn more about and respect other people was what made America such a cool place to be.) ;-) (said with tongue planted firmly in cheek)

That said... I definitely think that all immigrants should make an effort to learn English- it allows them to get to know other cultures and others around them. Personally, I live in New York in a largely Hispanic neighborhood. I'm doing my best to pick up rudimentary Spanish, so that I can learn more about their culture and them. It may sound corny, but more education can never hurt...

The Founding Fathers couldn't envision ALL future necessities. They missed this one, but back then it wasn't deemed to be an issue - it was a given what language would be spoken back then. We can't fault them for not anticipating this, nor can we say it's not a big deal now because they didn't.

If you ask any nation in the world what the "language of America" is, they'll tell you it's English. Simply because we've never drafted explicit legislation about this doesn't mean anything.

I am 100% for Immigrants and for the diversity in culture which they bring. I just want them to make a reasonable effort to speak the language we speak. That's not too much to ask.

tell that to the nra... ;-)
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk