How BAD is EDGE? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How BAD is EDGE?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby MEK4178 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:42 am

I coulda told you this last year when all they was run the stretch play over and over again, and edge would basically just run a straight line to the sideline and get about 7 yards without having to make any moves.
MEK4178
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby matmat » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:47 am

MEK4178 wrote:I coulda told you this last year when all they was run the stretch play over and over again, and edge would basically just run a straight line to the sideline and get about 7 yards without having to make any moves.

does all of this basically boil down to Denny Green sucking as a coach?
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheDiplomats » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:15 am

This boils down to Denny Green and a horrid offensive line. The holes were there in that first drive and for a moment, I thought maybe Edge's fortune in AZ would turn around..but next drive, the AZ OLine was back up to their old tricks. Hell, they pass blocked until the 4th quarter when the RT decided he wasn't going to block that Linebacker and let Leinart get blindsided. No RB in the league could have succeded behind that line when there are LB's in your face right at the line of scrimmage.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:01 am

D3C4K wrote:
Edge started off with 7 carries for 31 yards. Ever since then, The Cardinals OLine decided to stop blocking after the first drive.

Wow, has anyone EVER done less with that many carries?
Final tally: 36 carries for 55 yards with 0 TDs and a lost fumble.

So basically, after the first drive Edge had 24 yards on 29 carries. Less than 1 yard per carry for almost 30 straight carries, holy hell... :-o

And that was with a 12 yard run mixed in in the 4th quarter no less.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby ScrappyDoo » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:07 am

for what its worth he did have a 12 yard run nullified by an illegal formation and another 6 or 7 yarder called back for holding. Against the bears D, I wouldnt worry too much.

If he gets that many carries against Hou and doesnt have a good game then I worry.
ScrappyDoo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby danleroi22 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:17 am

He's struggling behind a weak O-line... plus they are not running enough draw plays for him.

If you watched the game last night, you would have seen that he got pretty much a lot of those yards on draw plays. They need to use the draw more and get him involved in the screen game more too.
Questions or Comments? Feel free to PM me.

I know that I've been given more than beyond measure.
danleroi22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby oldbutdeadlyone » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:15 pm

Not to mention that everyone and there dog (Urlacher) knew they were going to hand it off to Edge on 1st down. OMGosh I was dying.....

Horrible play calling....that was what was wrong last night.

I kept thinking they would do more play action on first down faking to Edge and send someone streaking off for a home run.

They did not play to win....that game was gift wrapped.

Kev
MY 2010 Fantasy Squad:

QB-Drew Brees
RB-Chris Johnson
RB-Jonathan Stewart
RB-Ryan Torain
RB-Ronnie Brown
WR-Calvin Johnson
WR-Greg Jennings
WR-Stevie Johnson
WR-Mike Williams
TE-Antonio Gates
TE-BOSS (NYG)
K-Janikowski (Oak)
DEF-Philly
oldbutdeadlyone
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:20 pm

I've actually been impressed with Edge this year in his ability to make something out of nothing. Granted, he sucks for fantasy purposes due to the line. But there have been a bunch of times where I've seen him get no gains or little one- or two-yard gains when there has been absolutely nothing there. Guys hit him three or four yards back and he makes it not as bad. But I know exactly what y'all mean.
Big Pimpin
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Eagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:30 pm

TheDiplomats wrote:This boils down to Denny Green and a horrid offensive line. The holes were there in that first drive and for a moment, I thought maybe Edge's fortune in AZ would turn around..but next drive, the AZ OLine was back up to their old tricks. Hell, they pass blocked until the 4th quarter when the RT decided he wasn't going to block that Linebacker and let Leinart get blindsided. No RB in the league could have succeded behind that line when there are LB's in your face right at the line of scrimmage.

how could you even blame denny, some things dont fall on a coach....he was up big in the 2nd half, thats what you do is run the ball, no yardage, oh well you take time off...had he kept throwing it and leinart was picked or they went 3 and out with no time off he woulda caught more flack, time is your enemy so you keep running, he did what he should of....

he cant stop rackers missing fg's, or the line missing a DE completely
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Humpback » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:45 pm

You guys writing Edge off as a RB are crazy. He may not be a stud fantasy RB anymore, but he still has skills. I knew they were bad, but that O-line is much worse than I expected. He's getting hit in the backfield on the majority of his carries. The play calling is so bad it's obscene- line up, run directly into about 10 pro-bowl defenders, if not your own blockers because the defenders are knocking them on their a$$es. They need to give him some pitch outs and screen plays- he still has great ability in the open field. Too bad that line can't get him any open field. As a NFL RB, he's still top 10 easy. As a FF RB, top 20.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk