Fantasy league dispute...Need an outside opinion! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fantasy league dispute...Need an outside opinion!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Fantasy league dispute...Need an outside opinion!

Postby gods_of_the_gridiron » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:51 pm

There is a dispute in our league due to last nights freak show. The dispute centers around the play when Brad Johnson was picked off in the 2nd Quarter by the Colts Doss, he then fumbled during the interception return, Keenan McKardell then recovered his fumble and ran it in for a touchdown. The question is: When Tampa QB commited the turnover, does or does not the Tampa offense now become the defense and should McKardell's Fumble recovery and touchdown be awarded to the Defense. We use Yahoo to manage our fantasy league and it awarded the points already to the Tampa D'. It is being questioned if these points be taken away and as a result the weekly head-to-head victory would be reversed. I would appreciate your feedback especially from anyone who has dealt with this in their league this week.
gods_of_the_gridiron

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby altproject » Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:06 pm

yes, you have it correct -- the TB D gets the points, not McCardell. Here's an explanation from my CBS Sportsline fantasy page:

"The play in which Keenan McCardell picked up Michael Doss's fumble and ran it in for a touchdown will be scored as a touchdown for the Buccaneers defense. The reason is as follows: once Michael Doss intercepted Brad Johnson's pass, there was a change of possession and the Bucs become the defensive team. Doss then fumbled the ball and McCardell recovered the fumble and returned it for a TD. Even though McCardell is typically an offensive player, he was considered a defensive player at the point he took possession of the ball. As a result, the Bucs defense will be credited with a Defensive Fumble Recovery and a Defensive TD."
20 Team League | 11-3 | 5th Place
--------------------------------------------
Q: Kitna, Flutie
R: Henry, Portis, T. Jones, Rudi, Griffin, Burns
W: Chambers, Ward
T: Shockey
K: Elling
D: Bills
altproject
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:27 pm

read around on this site, there's like 11 threads about it. I don't think yahoo is gonna change it, even though their reasoning contradicts itself.

If tampa's offense becomes the "defense" after a change of possession (the INT), then shouldn't they change back to offense after another change of possession (the fumble)?
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:30 pm

I agree with Bagel Boy, but in our league somehow, the TD just dissapeared. Neither McCardell or TBs D have been credited with the score.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby BradtheImpaler » Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:07 pm

the answer is simple.....

join an IDP league and then yah dont have to worry about it....

just kiddin yo.....actually its a confusing call that yahoo needs to look at and address before it happens again....i suppose the guys who create the parameters for the d stats never dreamed up this senario....you should probably email somebody er something?
BradtheImpaler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby zombiez » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:28 pm

definately is a touchdown for Tampa's D...thats how the NFL stats it
zombiez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Homeless » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:41 pm

Really have to go with what Yahoo calls on this one, personally I dont like it, its not a defensive player, but then again, they were defending during that play.

Luck of the draw I guess.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby 9er Fan » Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:20 am

Someone mentioned this on another thread... If the reasoning used by Yahoo/CBS/etc. is that when a turnover happens, the defensive and offensive designations change, there would be no such thing as a defensive touchdown.

My vote would be that McCardell gets the TD, not Tampa D.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby zombiez » Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:35 pm

yeah but as soon as the fumble happens......the offense becomes the defense.....has always been like that......and has always been scored that way......and truly makes sense.....
zombiez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby footballboy » Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:33 am

The AP originally ruled Kennan McCardell's fumble recovery a DEFENSIVE TD, but then correctly changed it to an OFFENSIVE TD. We actually consulted with the NFL office about this issue years ago. Unlike a special teams play -- where the special teams unit is either the offense or defense as soon as the ball passes the line of scrimmage -- during a normal play the offensive unit is still considered to be on offense throughout the life of the play, even if there is a change of possession.

The bottom line: McCardell's TD was on OFFENSE. Please do not call or send e-mail on this matter. The play stands as called. BUT REMEMBER: Your commissioner can always change the score of any game for any reason by simply selecting the "Edit" button next to the score in the game log page.
Ravens Rule!
footballboy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk