Keeper league--Should we allow trades for future draft picks - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Keeper league--Should we allow trades for future draft picks

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby BIGM » Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:48 pm

IN our league we have a 4 keeper league. With almost no turnover. I was the last one to take someone's spot in the league 4 years ago (we actually have a waiting list). Anyways we can trade future draft picks. Its great it make this so interesting. The catch is if I were to trade faulk for a #1 next year I would have to through in a pick of mine, like a 12th. This way every draft everyone drafts the same amount of players. Huge trade's have been made in our league using future picks. This way someone who does really well picking up players can trade them away for middle round picks or better to someone who really needs a player.

lots of possibilities with future draft picks, but you can't have someone trade all there early picks then ditch the league....
BIGM

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby nebula » Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:13 pm

Our league is a 4 player keeper and can have trades for picks only 1 yr down the road. This is for the reason stinky said about owner roll over.
Vick was drafted this yr to trade for a pick next yr.
Keepers League:
P Manning, J Flacco
LT2, C Portis, T Hightower, S Greene, D Brown
M Colston, Q, D Jax, MSW, B Tate, M Wallace,
J Carlson, D Keller
N Keding
Chi
nebula
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Keeper league--Should we allow trades for future draft picks

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:49 pm

Intimidator wrote:what about trading picks?

In that league I am trading a second year player for a draft pick. I don't know what is wrong with it. They just have to realize the importance of that pick.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby treat24 » Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:01 pm

our keeper league keeps 3 and 1 rookie (i.e rogers,johnson,boldin,mcgahee) who must have started less than 5 fantasy games the year before). we trade draft picks constantly and on draft day... it gets pretty sweet. different owners have different strategies... some play for the future, some play to win now... it's just another way of making it interesting... we love it.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

bad idea

Postby irishboy » Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:02 pm

i think thats a bad idea because it makes things too complicated and allows some coahces to get stacked teams; and players get injured all the time, and sometimes they are career enders; its ok to have a keeper league, but dont screw with the draft
IRISH PRIDE (WHAT'S WRONG WITH ALL CAPS)
irishboy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby phunkadelic » Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:30 am

If you're 100% sure everyone will stick around next year, it's ok and can actually be quite fun. But with 6 keepers, I can't imagine too many people would really want to trade anyone decent for a 7th round pick next year.
phunkadelic
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brdmaverick » Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:17 am

My keeper league is also questioning whether trading future draft picks should be allowed. It is a 12 team, three keeper league and yet of all the teams, it seems I am the only one against it.

Here is the problem I see arising......................

Team A is out of playoff contention
Team B is battling with Team C for a playoff spot

Team A trades Steve McNair to Team B for a draft pick in next year's draft.

The problem that I see arising with this is that.........
1) Team B just upgraded his team without losing anything THIS SEASON. You may want to argue that it's not a big deal, and that he will feel the effects next season, but what about TEAM C? Team C's chances of making the playoffs. All the other teams in the playoffs would hate that trade too.

2) WHen next year comes around, Team A would already be starting out with an unfair advantage. He could possibly start out with 2 first round draft picks. (with only three keepers, there are always a few guys that slip through the cracks, Priest Holmes was unkept two years ago, while Jamal Lewis wasn't kept this time around). I don't think the other 11 owners would like the fact that Team A already has an unfair advantage.

*another key thing is the owner turnover; Unless you have the same group of guys coming back, I wouldn't even consider trading draft picks.
brdmaverick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby brdmaverick » Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:19 am

I guess my point was that you want to have overall fairness from year to year.

Team B would have the unfair advantage one season, while Team A would have it the next in my example.

I just say keep it fair from year to year.
brdmaverick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to Football Talk