how'd yah do in your rookie year of fantasy football??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

how'd yah do in your rookie year of fantasy football???

Moderator: Football Moderators

how'd yah do in your rookie year of fantasy football???

Postby BradtheImpaler » Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:36 pm

i was in a sandbox 8 team league last year with a slug of veterens......we got to start qb/rb/wr/te/3 flex/k/3 IDP's

we had an automatic draft and had to pre-rank our players.
i didnt know anything about fantasy football, so i had about the worst team possible on the planet. lucky for me i did have randy moss/ray lewis/chad brown/gramatica/and a whole host of scrubs.

after an 0-3 start i did get to 2-3 and really went waiver wire crazy.....i consistently stayed 1 or 2 games under .500
I boasted the top fantasy scoring defense in the league and was able to make a couple trades, sending what decent players i had else-where for depth. fortunately i was able to unload brown and lewis for offensive players right before they went down with season ending injuries. by the end of the season all 20 of my orginally drafted players were no longer on my roster.(well actually it probably only took me about 12/13 weeks)

i finished tied with another team at 8-9, however i was ranked 4th out of 8 cause i scored more points than the other 8-9 team.

I was soooooo pumped to get started this season, and we had a slow offline draft, and i picked up a lot of awesome players....
and yah know what????? after 5 games, i am in the same damn place i was last year...2-3, thanks to a 2 game losing streak.

however, i dont have to rely on scrubs and guys who "might" have a break out game to get by this year.....of course my oppenents still dont have to either. the bar isnt set too high, just finish over .500 this season, and also this year we have a playoff as well, as opposed to 17 regular season games...........i cant wait.
BradtheImpaler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BradtheImpaler » Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:40 pm

btw, i forgot to mention.....we have a new guy in our league, a bona-fide rookie....so i gave him some pointers on this and that, and told him to pick up a magazine to read about fantasy football...and that bastid is now 5-0 and in first place by 2 games.......he beat me in week 1 102.5 to 98... :~(

dang rookies anyways
BradtheImpaler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby terpfan » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:04 pm

beginners luck?

i had two leagues my rookie year... made the championship game in both, lost one and won one. of course the level of competition in my leagues has been significantly raised since then...
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Cliff Harris » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:30 pm

Started studying the day of the draft with a buddies magazine back in 1993. Wound up taking Troy Aikman with my first pick, around #9 in a 10-team league. Aikman, of course, was a stud on a great team, but didn't fair to well fantasy-wise. I also remember having guys like former Charger RB Marion Butts, former Packer TE Jackie Harris, and former Oiler Al Del Greco as my kicker. I finished middle of the pack at best.

Year 2, much, much better. I remember taking Brett Favre around the 17th pick and having him bloosom in a big way from there on out (as we all know).

Rookies take notice that it can take some time, but not always. I've seen a few rookies do very, very well.

Best of luck.
Cliff Harris
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:47 pm

This is my rookie year. I am 3-2. I am playing with guys who have been playing for years.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby jebatzel » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:53 pm

I finished 2nd in my first yahoo league last season.

JB
jebatzel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby VHawk15 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:54 pm

I didn't really know what I was doing but ended up finishing 3rd in my first league.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:07 pm

This is my first year. I'm 3-2 so far. Both weeks I lost Garcia laid an egg. And I lost week 4 when Alexander, KRob, Collins were all on bye.

I'm 3-2 and the other 3 dudes in my division are 1-4. It's looking good so far as Garcia doesn't lay more eggs and Henry stays healthy.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Clockerq » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:15 pm

first year played with a bunch of knowledgable ex-gamblers and ended up o for the year,,didn't win a weekly prize and finished out of the playoffs. second year broke even,,third year i won the league and in the 5th year i was the first to become a 2 time champ,,,u have to pay your dues!! i can't stand it when chicken livers won't get in a league because they figure they won't win the first year.
Clockerq
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby sundawg_58 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:16 pm

This is my rookie year too. I'm just obsessed with fantasy sports. I joined 4 leagues. 2 public yahoo, 2 private leagues (both from the classifieds from this forum).

I've done well so far. 19-1.... been lucky here and there (beat Jamal Lewis on his bigday). Its funny cause my only lost came from my most stacked (and I mean stacked) team. Taught me that in fantasy football, the only thing that matters is the week your playing in.

I owe a lot of it to the ppl on this forum for their knowledge and guidance. Big ups to all who have helped me to a great start!
sundawg_58
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk