how'd yah do in your rookie year of fantasy football??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

how'd yah do in your rookie year of fantasy football???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby sundawg_58 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:18 pm

This is my rookie year too. I'm just obsessed with fantasy sports. I joined 4 leagues. 2 public yahoo, 2 private leagues (both from the classifieds from this forum).

I've done well so far. 19-1.... been lucky here and there (beat Jamal Lewis on his bigday). Its funny cause my only lost came from my most stacked (and I mean stacked) team. Taught me that in fantasy football, the only thing that matters is the week your playing in.

I owe a lot of it to the ppl on this forum for their knowledge and guidance. Big ups to all who have helped me to a great start!
sundawg_58
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

first year

Postby HungZo » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:51 pm

Everyone was a superfan cept me. I accidently was in that league instead of a beginners. But started 0 and 2 and james stewart got hurt and I picked up fred taylor and won the whole thing. talked hella smack to everyone
HungZo
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby NRL » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:31 pm

My rookie year was last year. Got a great team in the draft was on track to make the playoffs but made to many mistakes. I see this often with Rookies they go well at the start of the year but dont know how the game works and start losing.
NRL

Friendliness: %

Postby TFM » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:45 pm

This is my rookie year - so far i am 4-1 and in first place in our league (tied for first in standings and have over 70 overall pts more than the next highest score).

I must say - i have become obsessed as well - and have a strong team and expect to finish very well.

A lot of it I, as obviously others who have spoken here, have a lot to thank to this sight that i happened to stumble upon.
"Please don't quote me in your signature" - Anonymous
TFM
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Clockerq » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:49 pm

don't understand how u guys can be in 4 leagues,,and i'm sure you're 19-1 rookie record so far is admirable,,but r u playing for $$$ or just in these public leagues where half the teams don't show up after the draft? i hate being in more than 1 league, because i fiind myself rooting for guys on 1 team while rooting against the same players who are playing against me in another league. i like joining just 1 league,,with a $200 buy in with 12 teams,,thats good action,,plus i'm in a survival league and a "by the spread" pick'em pool with 35 entries. enough action and no cross rooting.
Clockerq
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby BradtheImpaler » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:18 pm

clockerq wrote:don't understand how u guys can be in 4 leagues,,and i'm sure you're 19-1 rookie record so far is admirable,,but r u playing for $$$ or just in these public leagues where half the teams don't show up after the draft? i hate being in more than 1 league, because i fiind myself rooting for guys on 1 team while rooting against the same players who are playing against me in another league. i like joining just 1 league,,with a $200 buy in with 12 teams,,thats good action,,plus i'm in a survival league and a "by the spread" pick'em pool with 35 entries. enough action and no cross rooting.

yeah ive wondered about some ppl who have posted here and many other places boasting about records and whatnot.....and i wondered the same thing....was this a competative league, or is this a league where half the teams are inactive as you play teams that are starting players on bye, and you are stock piling free agenst cause hardly anyone else is competing.

all i know is that my second year with the same guys in our 8 team league i am in, has 7 very active owners and 1 guy who doesnt do much with adds and drops, but he keeps his roster updated weekly and still wins about half of his games.

if you play in a somewhat dead league i guess its not your fault cause i suppose it can be hard to find a quality league, but if your beating dead teams week in and week out, then thats no challenge.

around mid season of my rookie year i did join 3/4 extra mid season leagues and I had awesome records in those, but i was playing against dead teams, and also there was little competiton for picking up free agents......i did it mainly to see if i could learn anything in terms of fantasy experience, but those leagues were really not fun.....so this year i stuck to just 1 league and i am having a blast, cause its so competative
BradtheImpaler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby VHawk15 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:24 pm

Hehe, I'm in 10 leagues.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby senseiosin » Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:44 am

First time fantasy was 4 years ago, 12 teams with an auto draft all with friends from college. Ended up losing in the first round of playoffs, ending in 4th place overall. Took Edgerrin James with my first round, 11th overall.

Sill playing with the same bunch of guys, now spread across 2 leagues, all college buddies. A few dropped out and new guys stepped in, but the original planners are all still in it. Went to a live draft the 2nd year obviously after everyone was addicted, and it has definetly become way more intense. What Ive learned in the 4 seasons, no matter how much planning and studying up you do, it still comes down to a lot of dumb luck! :-B
The only thing we have to fear is.... another injured Denver RB!!!!!!!!
senseiosin
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Justifiable_Sin » Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:11 am

Fortunately ....my rookie season included a league I co-founded back in 1985. Consequently ....we were "all" rookies. 8 man home grown league. Depending on how old you are or how decent your memory is in regard to 1985...you should be able to guess how well I did based on a couple of my draft choices.....I drafted Marino with my first round pick ....and the Bears defense with my 5th round pick.....

I finished first with a 10-4 record ....but managed to tank in the semi-finals to our fourth place reg. season finisher (who subsequently won the championship too).
***A clear conscience is only a clear sign of a horrible memory***
Justifiable_Sin
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Location: on foot...approximately 40 miles south of the mental institution

FF addict

Postby The Borg » Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:50 am

I've been playing for 7 years now with the same core group of friends. My rookie year our league used the serpentine draft. I made the playoffs, but lost in the first round. Year two we used the same draft method and I finished runner up. I thought FF was pretty easy until the next year.

Has anyone tried playing using an auction draft format? For those of you not familiar, each owner start with the same amount of play money and may bid for a player that is put up for auction. The bidding stop when no one wants to top the last bid. The highest bidding owner get the player. Each owner must maintain enough cash to fill out their roster completely.

Sounds easy? It's not. There is alot of strategy involved. First, you have to manage your money well. Spend too much too early and watch as other owners steal players at bargin prices. Tip your hand as to who your targeting and you'll pay more than necessary. Wait to long and you end up with a roster of second and third tier players.

The first two years I ended up competing the toilet bowl playoffs. The last two I just made the playoffs, but lost in the first round. It took my 4 years to come up with a sound strategy for this draft method.

This year I am 4 - 1 and second in total points.
The Borg

Friendliness: %

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk